Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43133
View in linear mode

Subject: "Strange symbol on D40 display" Previous topic | Next topic
WRider Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2008Fri 24-Sep-10 02:40 AM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Strange symbol on D40 display"

Terre Haute, US

The last couple of days I've been noticing that the battery's power meter has been replaced by what looks like a power cord plug symbol. I'm running off of battery, and don't even have the AC adapter for the camera. I've searched the manual and Thom Hogan's book, but haven't found a mention of this symbol. Does anyone know what it means?

Brad

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Fri 24-Sep-10 05:22 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Strange symbol on D40 display"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

On page 103 of the manual it states that the battery symbol will be replaced with the plug symbol you have described. Either something is wrong with the camera or you have found some sort of wireless power source for your camera.

I would try a reset of the camera to defaults to see if it clears and reverts to the normal battery display.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 24-Sep-10 02:57 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Strange symbol on D40 display"
In response to Reply # 1

Chicago, US

Also make sure you fully charge your battery.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

WRider Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2008Sun 26-Sep-10 06:13 PM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Strange symbol on D40 display"
In response to Reply # 2

Terre Haute, US

I removed the battery for a few minutes, replaced it, and the problem went away. I wonder if my firmware needs re-flashed or something. I'll just keep an eye out for other anomalies and keep on shooting.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Brad

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 26-Sep-10 07:06 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Strange symbol on D40 display"
In response to Reply # 3

Chicago, US

Unless this is a persistent problem, I would not worry about it.

You could have a some bad flash memory, a rare bit of code that does not work right, or some external interference.

If it happens a lot, then Nikon service may need to look at, but intermittent errors are hard to recreate and diagnose.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43133 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.