nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Want to help solve a mystery?

geoffmalter

US
27 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
geoffmalter Registered since 25th Feb 2010
Sun 12-Sep-10 01:36 AM

I'm in Santa Barbara today at my favorite camera chain branch (Santa Barbara is ALWAYS better than driving to L.A., as I live equal distant from both). Anyway, I brought my D40 for a sensor cleaning and also check out some lenses I'm interested in (Tokina's 11-16 F/2.8 and 12-24 F/4 generation II that will auto-focus on my D40). The salesman pulls out a D90 and lets me try out both lenses to my heart's content. Both have great attributes in their own right, and both function as they should on the D90.

Fast forward to try the lenses on my D40. Tokina 11-16, even though it won't auto-focus on the D40, is easy to do manually (I guess what I've read about super-wide with its depth-of-field is true, focusing-wise). Then I put on the 12-24 that is supposed to auto-focus on my D40, and all I see through the viewfinder and LCD is no info except a flashing: F _ _. Salesman says it must mean that the lens isn't fully secured to the body, so we double check and it is. I adjust the lens collar between manual and auto-focus several times and get the same result.

Salesman pulls out another new 12-24 and the same thing happens. He even wipes the connectors, but the same F _ _ flashing and no other info. I put the 11-16 on the D40 and it works fine (in manual mode of course).

I take my D40 over to repair department for the sensor cleaning and it's the same desk as rentals. I explain to the tech what just happened. He says he only has a 12-24 Nikon mount first-generation non-auto-focus and we try that. Works fine, except again with manual focus, and very easy at that.

Two bad 12-24 new lenses or has anyone heard of problems Tokina is having with that second-generation lens on non-internal motor bodies?

Good news is that the tech gave me a free sensor cleaning and I'm renting the 12-24 non-auto-focus lens next weekend to try it outdoors. If it works as well for me then as it did indoors today, I've saved $100 over the price of the second-generation model (although that 11-16 F/2.8 is s-w-e-e-t).

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G