Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43060
View in linear mode

Subject: "problem with camera?" Previous topic | Next topic
kellycolleen48 Registered since 23rd May 2010Tue 07-Sep-10 09:06 AM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"problem with camera?"

US

Question:

What would make an image come out black ? The same image as just previously taken that came out okay?

Thank you

Kelly

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: problem with camera?
blw Moderator
07th Sep 2010
MEMcD Moderator
07th Sep 2010
kellycolleen48
08th Sep 2010
blw Moderator
09th Sep 2010
kellycolleen48
09th Sep 2010
blw Moderator
09th Sep 2010
Ciderfish Silver Member
09th Sep 2010
blw Moderator
09th Sep 2010
kellycolleen48
09th Sep 2010
blw Moderator
10th Sep 2010
carpemoment
10th Sep 2010
nightcat
10th Sep 2010
greenwing Gold Member
10th Sep 2010
blw Moderator
10th Sep 2010
greenwing Gold Member
10th Sep 2010
MEMcD Moderator
10th Sep 2010

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 07-Sep-10 09:54 AM
26735 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: problem with camera?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

More information needed. What exposure mode? Flash? Settings? Environment?

There are at least two dozen things I'd guess cause this before I'd even consider a camera problem.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 07-Sep-10 06:20 PM
26142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: problem with camera?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Kelly,

The most common cause would be when you use flash. The flash fires at or near full power correctly exposing the first image and you press the shutter release button for the second image too quickly without allowing enough time for the flash capacitor to recycle or charge. When you capture the second image, the flash won't fire or fires at a power level too low to provide the correct exposure.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

kellycolleen48 Registered since 23rd May 2010Wed 08-Sep-10 11:56 PM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: problem with camera?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

both were taken with the same settings, I didn't change anything.

f/4.5
1/60 sec
ISO 200
flash, auto, no strobe return

These were taken in aperture priority mode, but I got the same results when shooting in manual. Very frustrating!

I've noticed a couple dark "spots" in my pics for a while now, always in the exact same spot and one is dark enough that I have to clone paint it out of every pic. So I'm sure my sensor is dirty and needs cleaning. More recently I noticed the auto focus isn't as sharp as it use to be, and they seem a bit OOF. Then all of a sudden during the birthday party, I started having this prob with some of them being WAY over exposed, while others are WAY under exposed, and some are "normal", when I didn't change the settings.

Thank you again

Kelly

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 09-Sep-10 12:04 AM
26735 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: problem with camera?"
In response to Reply # 3

Richmond, US

> flash

I thought that might be the case. The flash takes a few seconds to recharge. If you fire once, the flash fires normally. If you fire again a moment later, the flash hasn't recharged, and it comes out as if you'd forgotten to light the scene.

> dark spots

Dirty sensor. Assuming that you have one of the cameras without a self-cleaning sensor, it's time for a rocket blower. If you DO have a self-cleaning sensor, it might be time for a wet cleaning, although it doesn't hurt to try the rocket blower first.

_____

kellycolleen48 Registered since 23rd May 2010Thu 09-Sep-10 12:37 AM
#5. "RE: problem with camera?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thank you, Brian
I'm going to take it in this week for the "blow out"...LOL. It's never been cleaned and it's not self cleaning.

Thank you!

Kelly

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 09-Sep-10 02:24 AM
#6. "RE: problem with camera?"
In response to Reply # 5

Richmond, US

You should also have a look at this thread.

_____

Ciderfish Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2008Thu 09-Sep-10 12:08 PM
114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: problem with camera?"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

'some of them being WAY over exposed, while others are WAY under exposed, and some are "normal", when I didn't change the settings.'

That sounds like bracketing, is that a possibility?

Kevin
A Nikonian in the West Country

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 09-Sep-10 03:16 PM
#8. "RE: problem with camera?"
In response to Reply # 7

Richmond, US

That's a great thought - however, I don't think that the D40/50/60 have bracketing. (And Kelly- your profile doesn't have info, so we have to guess!)

_____

kellycolleen48 Registered since 23rd May 2010Thu 09-Sep-10 07:58 PM
#9. "RE: problem with camera?"
In response to Reply # 8

US

I'm sorry, I have the D40. It does have bracketing.

Kelly

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 10-Sep-10 12:51 AM
#10. "RE: problem with camera?"
In response to Reply # 9

Richmond, US

Honestly, I'm pretty sure that the D40 has no bracketing. It has exposure compensation, which may look like bracketing (the terms used are similar). I've checked several sources and they agree that there's no auto bracketing on the D40.

At any rate, *IF* you had bracketing turned on, you would see BKT somewhere on a display if it were enabled. (On some of the upper models, this appears on the top LCD, but a D40 doesn't have that. So it would be somewhere on the back.

_____

carpemoment Registered since 17th Dec 2009Fri 10-Sep-10 12:52 AM
282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: problem with camera?"
In response to Reply # 9

Raleigh, US

I believe the reference to "bracketing" actually means "auto-bracketing" where one push of the shutter button results in 3 shots, one at "normal", one above and one below depending on the range of exposure compensation you have set up. The D40 does not do this automatically. You have to manually change the EV for the above and below shots. Unless, I am missing a really neat feature on my D40 in which case someone tell me how to access it.

Visit <www.carpemoment.com>.

or http://gary-adkins.fineartamerica.com

nightcat Registered since 05th Mar 2006Fri 10-Sep-10 02:40 PM
1040 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: problem with camera?"
In response to Reply # 8

LaCrosse,WI, US

For the record, the D50 does have 3 shot auto bracketing. I don't know about the D40, D40x, or D60.

Kraig

"The wisest follow their own directions" -Euripides
"I thought there would be more elephants" -C. Columbus

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Fri 10-Sep-10 07:57 AM
1301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: problem with camera?"
In response to Reply # 3

Yorkshire, GB

I think you have a problem with your camera. The clue is

>flash, auto, no strobe return

which tells us that although the flash was fired, the camera did not see the light from it. That is not a normal situation, and is probably what is leading to the inconsistent flash results you're seeing.

Chris

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 10-Sep-10 03:28 PM
#14. "RE: problem with camera?"
In response to Reply # 12

Richmond, US

But that is also consistent with firing the flash and having little or no available power in the capacitor. I do not think that we have any evidence yet of a camera problem.

_____

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Fri 10-Sep-10 07:59 PM
1301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: problem with camera?"
In response to Reply # 14

Yorkshire, GB

Indeed, but that 'no return light detected' is in the exif of both Kelly's example shots. I don't think the camera would miss the flash from the second shot.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 10-Sep-10 07:09 PM
26142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: problem with camera?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Kelly,

Were you using a Speedlight in the hotshoe or the built in Speedlight?
What mode was the Speedlight in.
If you were using a Speedlight in the hotshoe what was the make and model?
The under exposed image was captured 61 seconds before the slightly over exposed image.
If that was consistantly the case, my best guess is that you turned on the Speedlight and released the shutter with out allowing enough time for the capacitor in the Speedlight to charge.

In the lower right corner of the viewfinder there is a lighting bolt symbol that will light when the capacitor in the Speedlight is fully charged and ready to fire. This of course assumes that you are using the built in Speedlight or an SB-400, SB-600, SB-800, or SB-900. Most other third party Nikon i-TTL dedicated Speedlights should have the same capability as well.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43060 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.