Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43020
View in linear mode

Subject: "What to buy my wife?" Previous topic | Next topic
Bdiddy11 Registered since 02nd Sep 2010Thu 02-Sep-10 05:08 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What to buy my wife?"

US

I bought my wife a D60 a couple years back as a birthday gift as she loves photography and wanted to help her get the right tools to become better.

The following Christmas I bought her the 55-200mm VR lens. Now it's birthday time again and am looking for another camera accessory to get her. She really wants a wide angle lens but they are too expensive for our budget right now.

Looking to spend $200 or less... what would be another good lens to get her? I've noticed a number of low cost 'wide angle' and telephoto lenses on ebay... do those even work?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: What to buy my wife?
rectangularimage Silver Member
02nd Sep 2010
MEMcD Moderator
02nd Sep 2010
Floridian Silver Member
02nd Sep 2010
musical Silver Member
05th Sep 2010
Bdiddy11
08th Sep 2010
musical Silver Member
10th Sep 2010

rectangularimage Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Oct 2009Thu 02-Sep-10 05:26 PM
1112 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What to buy my wife?"
In response to Reply # 0

San Diego, US

Get the Nikkor 35mm f1.8 dx lens, about $200. Not wide angle, but nice for portraits and low light indoor stuff. Maybe the only decent lens (other than the 55-200VR she already has) you can get for $200.

I don't think you can get a decent wide angle anywhere close to $200.

...Mike

My website | My Nikonians gallery

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 02-Sep-10 06:51 PM
25891 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What to buy my wife?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Brian,

Welcome to Nikonians!
I am guessing that the "low cost" "wide angle" and "telephoto" lenses that you say on ebay are the screw in type adaptor lenses which are a complete waste of money.
I assume she has the 18-55mm kit lens which covers the wide angle range but not the super wide angle range. As there are no super wide angle lenses in your price range. They start at about double your budget and increase from there.
Mike's suggestion of the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX is a good one.
You might also consider getting her a Nikon SB-600 Speedlight .
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Thu 02-Sep-10 10:16 PM
2721 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What to buy my wife?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

I'll throw in another vote for the 35 f1.8, though I think it depends on how much she's into photography. If she's shooting on auto and using the flash when the light's low, she may not appreciate the advantages of an f1.8 lens. (I know some DSLR users who shoot like that. They like the cameras just because they can change the lenses.) If she's interested in photography, though, the lens is really nice for the price. Heck, it's nice regardless of the price, and it's not too expensive.

Randy

musical Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2010Sun 05-Sep-10 01:09 PM
1047 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: What to buy my wife?"
In response to Reply # 3

north-central, US

Hmmm, what can I add, I guess the 1.4 lens is neat, too, Nikon's 55mm 1.4, but it is $329; I just checked. Does she have photo software? I found a campus bookstore to be a nice option for student-discounted software such as CS4. I only have CS3, but that all moves processing from in the camera to on her computer. Borders Books also will offer a teacher's discount card to any teacher and homeschooler, and they have some amazing photography books; for example buying like five beautiful books that pertain to various kinds of photography or digital technique only if she has software or her exact camera. But she probably knows her camera well and this list is fantastic... I had a great time yesterday reading a book with a format to it where the photographer explains each picture and what he was thinking at the time. Maybe the 35mm mentioned above, a great classic lens, and a book like that. All these ideas would be fun combined with flowers. Seems neat, oh and a daytrip of some sort. Life is good.

"Shadows are the soul of the picture."rick sammon

Photographs are of what the heart sees.
Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Bdiddy11 Registered since 02nd Sep 2010Wed 08-Sep-10 07:24 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: What to buy my wife?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thanks for all of the input. I think i'm definitely getting her a rechargeable spare battery.

We've got Adobe Master Suite so we've got the photo programs covered.

She really wants a fisheye but all but the knock offs are so spendy. That might have to be for a different time.

Also thought about getting her a video camera since we just found out last week she's prego for the first time and would like to record the kid's activities and such.

Anyone got a good suggestion on video cameras in the $150 or lower category... if they exist.

musical Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2010Fri 10-Sep-10 01:12 AM
1047 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: What to buy my wife?"
In response to Reply # 5
Fri 10-Sep-10 01:13 AM by musical

north-central, US

I am too unable to suggest inexpensive gear; I feel so biased in favor of beautiful things, but it will always at the risk of sounding high and mighty. Sony's H-9 is fine camera and my son has my old one and it does youtube-type videos. It's worth mentioning but it is a camera, not a video camera. I think cameras' sensors can overheat and so they do under 5 mins of video, and not HD in this case. Their HD video camera is over a thousand dollars.
But think back to fish-eye lens. It is worth a brief mention next that Nikon's 16mm fisheye seems to be an absolute precious gem. I have a feeling that it is a dream lens and worth every penny. Probably a lifetime of happiness for only $899. None of my advice will be worth too much now but I wanted to just offer dreamy ideas. I pray that someday I myself can own Nikon's fisheye.

It can be overwhelming to look out upon photo gear and I wish you the best with this. The attached photo is fun, taken last week. It is an 11 mm in this case, but not fisheye. These sorts of lenses are in a class all their own artistically.

"Shadows are the soul of the picture."rick sammon

Photographs are of what the heart sees.
Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43020 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.