Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43002
View in linear mode

Subject: "Shielding the Screen in Bright Sunlight" Previous topic | Next topic
BeeKay60 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Mar 2009Mon 30-Aug-10 09:35 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Shielding the Screen in Bright Sunlight"

Roseville, US

OK, I will admit that, along with the histogram, I do use the screen to check my shots. I recently was in an Iowa corn field on a really bright sunny day (I also know this is not the best time to shoot, but it couldn't be helped) taking pictures of the spot where Buddy Holly's plane went down. I literally could not see anything on the screen, even when I was in the "shade" of the corn. I am going on a trip to London and Paris soon and, again, may find myself in bright daylight situations (OK, maybe not in London). I have done a little research on the internet and come up with two names -- Delkin and Hoodman which make little popup screen shades. Waste of money ?? -- do they work??? Anyone had any experience with these? Thanks.

Betsy
Nikon D7000, D60
Windows 7 Ultimate
Lightroom 5.3
Photoshop CC

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Shielding the Screen in Bright Sunlight
JosephK Silver Member
31st Aug 2010
hwdx347 Silver Member
09th Sep 2010
Clarktmc Gold Member
09th Sep 2010
hwdx347 Silver Member
10th Sep 2010
Clarktmc Gold Member
10th Sep 2010
hwdx347 Silver Member
14th Sep 2010
Wapusk Silver Member
10th Sep 2010
Clarktmc Gold Member
10th Sep 2010

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 31-Aug-10 12:01 AM
4166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Shielding the Screen in Bright Sunlight"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

I cannot speak about the popup shades, but the Hoodman Loupe works well.

It appears that Hoodman has discontinued the popup shades.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, 50mm f/1.4 D
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

hwdx347 Silver Member Charter MemberThu 09-Sep-10 03:53 PM
6240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Shielding the Screen in Bright Sunlight"
In response to Reply # 1

Maumelle, US

I use the hoodman popup shades. I'm surprised they are discontinued. Delkin also makes them and B&H sells them.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/483308-REG/Delkin_Devices_DND40_S_eFilm_Digital_SLR_Standard.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

Hedley
Originally from Merthyr Tydfil, Wales -- now in Arkansas

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Clarktmc Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2008Thu 09-Sep-10 05:41 PM
742 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Shielding the Screen in Bright Sunlight"
In response to Reply # 2

Killeen, US

Do you find that these get in the way when you view with the eye piece. Or do you need to take them one and off?

hwdx347 Silver Member Charter MemberFri 10-Sep-10 01:11 PM
6240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Shielding the Screen in Bright Sunlight"
In response to Reply # 3

Maumelle, US

It's closed when looking through the viewfinder as it folds flat. It's only opened to view the LCD. I don't find that it gets in the way

Hedley

Clarktmc Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2008Fri 10-Sep-10 02:23 PM
742 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Shielding the Screen in Bright Sunlight"
In response to Reply # 4

Killeen, US

If you were to buy it again would you. or would you do it a different way? How much did it cost?

hwdx347 Silver Member Charter MemberTue 14-Sep-10 12:58 PM
#8. "RE: Shielding the Screen in Bright Sunlight"
In response to Reply # 5

Maumelle, US

They cost about $20. I've used a Hoodman not a Delkin on a D2H, D2Hs, D70, and D200.

Hedley

Wapusk Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Sep 2007Fri 10-Sep-10 02:46 PM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Shielding the Screen in Bright Sunlight"
In response to Reply # 0

Brantford, CA

When I bought a D80 the pop-up shade came with it. I used it for a short time as I had the experience with view cameras and know the value of it. But I found my own reflection to get in the way. Don't wear bright coloured shirts. The type that cover the entire screen and use a viewfinder type lens to look through are much better.

Clarktmc Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2008Fri 10-Sep-10 02:48 PM
#7. "RE: Shielding the Screen in Bright Sunlight"
In response to Reply # 6

Killeen, US

Thanks for the input...

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #43002 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.