Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #42989
View in linear mode

Subject: "Camera Shutter error?" Previous topic | Next topic
fixedvince Registered since 27th Aug 2010Sat 28-Aug-10 07:14 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Camera Shutter error?"
Sat 28-Aug-10 07:19 AM by fixedvince

US

Hello. I am new to photography and recently received a couple year old nikon d60 from a friend that he didnt use anymore because of this error. what happens is when you try to take a picture it sounds as if it took the picture but then in the viewfinder "Err" comes up and on the screen it says "Error. Press shutter release button again" and it repeats every single time taking a blank black picture of nothing. Is this a diy fixable error or should i just take it into a shop?

thanks for any help or suggestions.

vinny

i posted in the d90 section by accident. i dont know what i was thinking.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Camera Shutter error?
blw Moderator
28th Aug 2010
Reply message FIX -via Flickr Forums- RE: Camera Shutter error?
Nexusway
29th Aug 2010
blw Moderator
29th Aug 2010
fixedvince
30th Aug 2010
DeanAZ Moderator
31st Aug 2010
blw Moderator
31st Aug 2010
MEMcD Moderator
02nd Sep 2010

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 28-Aug-10 11:32 AM
26656 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Camera Shutter error?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

It's broken. Consult with Nikon. The chance of this being a DIY are vanishingly close to zero.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Nexusway Registered since 29th Aug 2010Sun 29-Aug-10 07:26 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "FIX -via Flickr Forums- RE: Camera Shutter error?"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

Fix for "Error: Press shutter release button"

Synopsis : 9 screws, WD40/adjust red wheel, release - close it.

Pro: Seems to Fix it based on feedback.
Cons: You could wreck your camera.
Pro: Good for those who have no warranty or don't want to wait 4 weeks.

FORUM LINK : http://www.flickr.com/groups/d40slr/discuss/72157608920360100/#comment72157622466228103

Flickr pic : http://www.flickr.com/photos/johncayr/3969534234/

Did I do it?
I am in the process of unscrewing my 9 screws on my D3000,
2 are very tight though.

David

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 29-Aug-10 11:34 AM
26656 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "FIX -via Flickr Forums- RE: Camera Shutter error?"
In response to Reply # 2
Sun 29-Aug-10 11:34 AM by blw

Richmond, US

Nevermind.

_____

fixedvince Registered since 27th Aug 2010Mon 30-Aug-10 09:01 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "FIX -via Flickr Forums- RE: Camera Shutter error?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

do you believe this is viable fixing method?

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Tue 31-Aug-10 04:40 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "FIX -via Flickr Forums- RE: Camera Shutter error?"
In response to Reply # 4

Phoenix, US

If it's broken, out of warranty, what could happen? I was less than impressed with the WD40 suggestion. Introducing a volatile chemical inside the camera body seems foolhardy at best. Something is broken and needs to be replaced not just lubed up. I would spend a few bucks and get it actually serviced.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 31-Aug-10 05:39 PM
#6. "FIX -via Flickr Forums- RE: Camera Shutter error?"
In response to Reply # 4
Tue 31-Aug-10 06:51 PM by blw

Richmond, US

> do you believe this is viable fixing method?

I sure wouldn't do it. I wouldn't even consider it. Clearly someone else thinks it's reasonable, so who am I to argue. They obviously have more experience with this particular fault than I do.

However, having been around cameras and mechanical things for a good part of my life, I know that messing around inside without the tools and understanding often result in making things much worse. As an example, if you're using WD40, how would you assure yourself that the WD40 is going only in the places that you're intending it to go? I could see it (maybe) if you were applying it with a pin, but most wouldn't do that with WD40. Some examples of what might go wrong: overspray of the lubricant might work its way onto the shutter blades. (Do you know what avenues might be open to the shutter from the part you're opening up?) If it gets to the shutter blades, you are almost guaranteed to get it onto the sensor eventually, and you sure won't be getting that off with a rocket blower.

_____

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 02-Sep-10 05:39 AM
25935 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "FIX -via Flickr Forums- RE: Camera Shutter error?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Vinny,

Welcome to Nikonians!

>do you believe this is viable fixing method?

No!
It sounds like a good way to increase the cost of a repair by causing additional damage.
If you are willing to toss the camera in a dumpster if it doesn't work, go ahead and try it. If not, send the camera to a Nikon Authorized Repair Center and get an estimate.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #42989 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.