Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #42962
View in linear mode

Subject: "photojournalism equipment?" Previous topic | Next topic
musical Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2010Sun 22-Aug-10 01:57 PM
1047 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"photojournalism equipment?"
Sun 22-Aug-10 02:37 PM by musical

north-central, US

Could someone help me to understand about the current equipment pieces that a newspaper or possibly magazine photographer uses, just in the Nikon line. OR does each person do it differently? I know there are other aspects, like personal presentation in general and the pay and I'm not sure what else. But all of this interests me. With equipment, does a d90 barely make the grade whereas a d60 or d40 wouldn't?

"Shadows are the soul of the picture."rick sammon

Photographs are of what the heart sees.
Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: photojournalism equipment?
Covey22 Moderator
22nd Aug 2010
musical Silver Member
25th Aug 2010
Covey22 Moderator
25th Aug 2010
musical Silver Member
26th Aug 2010
Drbee Silver Member
22nd Aug 2010
musical Silver Member
24th Aug 2010
blw Moderator
22nd Aug 2010
musical Silver Member
23rd Aug 2010
blw Moderator
25th Aug 2010
musical Silver Member
26th Aug 2010
blw Moderator
26th Aug 2010
musical Silver Member
27th Aug 2010
Scotty Silver Member
27th Aug 2010
blw Moderator
27th Aug 2010
Scotty Silver Member
27th Aug 2010

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberSun 22-Aug-10 04:00 PM
10708 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: photojournalism equipment?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

PJ equipment is characterized by performance and build. With those aspects, a purchase would naturally tend towards the upper tiers of any given product family.

To be honest, I've seen weekly publication shooters with D50s, D70s, probably because of their format (not breaking news) and their budget.

It all depends on whether the shooter is reliant on department issue or is a free-lancer shooting for spec. Department issue is helpful - any of their photographers can draw upon the pool of equipment and know how to work it because the bodies, flashes and lenses are all standardized. Free-lancers will procure what they can afford (and stand!) knowing that it has to work the first time and they will have to meet a variety of publication requirements (MP count predominantly).

Will a D90 work? I think the answer is another question - who are you working for and will the camera meet their publication specifications?

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

musical Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2010Wed 25-Aug-10 12:34 PM
1047 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: photojournalism equipment?"
In response to Reply # 1

north-central, US

Hi Armando. Neat blog! I enjoyed it very much. Thanks too for your response to me searching concerning PJ equipment. If time permits, tell me more about your own blog. Do you wish for other people contributing? Surely not. Why does someone do a blog or is different for each person and every single blog. Probably any number of reasons. Yours is nice. Art within us wishes to be expressed. In any event, I liked your photos with their captions. I know not the perfect jargon so I make up words and phrases to amuse myself; I only occasionally take "message photos," like a funny or disturbing sign. Your private-church sign photo is nice. If you saw my own site, tell me if you like it; I do post-processing ideas more in to folder 2. I never can seem to write words nearly as well as you do about why I took a photo or how it made me feel. In the one sample photo here my very dear mom was upset suddenly and wrote me a (kinda funny) upset letter to me saying that I looked like a homeless person and she felt ashamed of me. It is indeed very interesting when photos evoke emotions and we don't realize it will happen. I did make it up to her or will. "No moms were hurt or abused in the making of my own photographic site."

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 25-Aug-10 01:52 PM
10708 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: photojournalism equipment?"
In response to Reply # 6
Wed 25-Aug-10 01:55 PM by Covey22

US

Re: Blog - not to drag this off-topic, but my blog is simply experimentation and self-expression. Nothing more. Thanks for your kind words. Our member blogs are simplified, so even if we wanted others to contribute, they could not because the capability isn't enabled. You can use your own blog to show off samples of your work - kind of an Internet portfolio that you could access anytime - it could showcase statuses of your current projects for example.

That's an interesting self-portrait. I think the Orange Cap makes the shot. Mothers always want their sons to look their best - it's a reflection on their maternal skills, even if you've taken up the mantle.

I only saw your gallery here at Nikonians. There are only a few photos? Not sure which site you're referring to.

Writing is an acquired skill just like anything else. I talk too much so my challenge is to be more eloquent in as few words as possible. If you really want to see how sparse language can be yet remain as expressive as possible, look at plays, TV shows and movies where the scripts were written by David Mamet. He's the master of sparse yet communicative. To put it back on-topic - that will help you if you are looking to get into Photojournalism. People love photos, but photos and descriptions, as in documentary photography, make for compelling reading. Good luck!

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

musical Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2010Thu 26-Aug-10 10:55 AM
#9. "RE: photojournalism equipment?"
In response to Reply # 8

north-central, US

:)
vielle.smugmug.com

jim

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Sun 22-Aug-10 09:27 PM
5786 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: photojournalism equipment?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi,

Are you trying to emulate a PJ style or do you have an offer to join the PJ ranks?

If you are trying to emulate the style, any of the cameras you mention will do the trick. The lens may be a bit more problematic and dictated by the venue and the publication style.

If you are trying for individual shots in crowded spaces, you might have to crowd in close with a fast action wide-angle zoom lens. If you are doing more photo documentary work you might be able to work a bit more slowly at greater camera to subject distances. For covert work, maybe a more telephoto would be needed. Zoom lenses are often a must for PJ work and fast ones when interiors are frequent with fast recycling camera mounted strobes.

Is there anything in particular that I've mentioned that touches on what you have in mind with the PJ term, or do you have another vision of the niche you are trying to fill.

Best Regards,
Roger

musical Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2010Tue 24-Aug-10 12:06 PM
#5. "RE: photojournalism equipment?"
In response to Reply # 2

north-central, US

Niche is a great word. And all of the responses are neat here. A "life project" so to speak, and close-in, and an never with flash. With all your questions, time will tell for me. What's the difference between PJ style or editorial photography? Several people have suggested to really think about "glass" or what they meant was my lens. I know that photography will be lifelong for me from here on out. I document my life and so far, the kit lens and the 60. I mistyped before, not "kits" lens but kit lens. So, my life project is vielle.smugmug.com, I may do a small upgrade to body & glass in October. Yes, a PJ style but no job in photography. Nikon's 20-70 would be a dream lens but it is about 1600. Thanks Roger for the way you phrased things. Tell me what you think of my site or almost work, and I tend to like the opposite of covert or distance work but rather I get way in the middle of things at a fast pace. I like moods, low light, and blur.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 22-Aug-10 11:46 PM
26760 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: photojournalism equipment?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

It depends on who you're working for. One of the local papers issues gear to the staff - it's all Canon of one sort or another.

A different local paper employs just one photographer, and she is still shooting a D100. It might be hers, too, from what I recall. They accept free lance submissions and as near as I can tell, they don't care what it comes from as long as the quality is good.

In general the lens is more important than the camera in these cases, although even that doesn't matter much: you just have to get the shot, for whatever definition of "the" shot is. (And editors can be quite puzzling about this, IMHO.) Most newspapers I know have relatively low requirements for gear since they're printing on newsprint anyway - and when was the last time you saw a newspaper photo bigger than about 8x12? Even that is generally reserved for a major event.

Magazines are all over the map. Some have thresholds like the stock agencies ("must be at least 16mp"); others again, just don't care what it comes from as long as the purpose is suited. Several years ago I did a full color cover for a magazine with a crop from a D100 (6mp native) - I'd guess it was about 5mp. It looked great. Some others that are specifically intended as - for example - art magazines have higher requirements, especially if they are larger format. A double-truck (both pages) spread can get to be pretty big, 11x16 or so, and in such cases you'd better have a pretty good input file. Don't forget that a typical magazine is about 8x11, so not much more than an 8x10 - which is, frankly, pretty easy even with a 4mp file, as long as you do your part and aren't using a coke bottle for a lens.

In summary, although it varies by organization and also by purpose, it's mostly the photographer, not the gear.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

musical Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2010Mon 23-Aug-10 11:33 AM
#4. "RE: photojournalism equipment?"
In response to Reply # 3

north-central, US

All of this is helping me. Thank you.
I did sense after I wrote the question that a magazine completely different than a newspaper would be. BTW or by the way, I was lucky enough to score up a magazine cover, once, but I think that was partly the kindness of the person in charge. It was a pretty good picture but politics or karma maybe, well I don't know, but that seemed a part achieving that. I have almost no resume as a photographer. By trade, I have been a local jazz trombonist throughout my life--and I photograph my music situations now. The camera is a constant thought for me. I have some far-off desire to shoot news events, but not weddings. My gear is the 60 with kits lens and I have a site that so far was never listed here, but I have one. I really enjoy just simply reading various answers and muse concerning photography. I hope more answers come in here or I'll think of another fun question, too.
Best wishes to all.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 25-Aug-10 01:04 PM
26760 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: photojournalism equipment?"
In response to Reply # 4
Wed 25-Aug-10 01:40 PM by blw

Richmond, US

> I have almost no resume as a photographer.

That doesn't matter much. None of us ever had any resume as a photographer when we started. I *still* don't have one, for that matter. I have no training, fewer than twenty published images in print (half of which were in a single article), and I've sold a few fine art prints. On the other hand, I think I've accomplished at least something. Credentials are only one way of determining a person's record, and they're not necessarily even a way of accurately determining how well they might do a job for you.

We once had a terrible time getting a work visa for one of our staff who wanted to come to the US and work at corporate headquarters. The problem was that he was utterly unqualified to do almost anything, according to the INS. As it turned out, we did get him here, mostly because he's one of the top ten or so engineers in the world working in his area - his title is "Distinguished Engineer" and it's not an exaggeration. But all the INS looked at was that he had no college degree, didn't have "manager" in his title, had no published papers, was relatively young (31?), etc. (The forms didn't provide space to discuss his 30+ patents, which might have given it away...)

I'm sure you've encountered similar situations in music. I can think of a couple off the top of my head: Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac doesn't even read music. I'm pretty sure that Thelonious Monk never did either. As far as I know, the 1961-vintage John Lennon had no musical training whatever, and his resume consisted of playing with an unknown band in foreign countries because they couldn't get gigs at home.

_____

musical Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2010Thu 26-Aug-10 12:03 PM
#10. "RE: photojournalism equipment?"
In response to Reply # 7

north-central, US

Your letter seems very sweet. Oh well..., music; stories are legendary concerning non-readers. The tenor of your letter is very kind. Let me ask (digress), if the topic veers off to general photography questions like favorite inspirations or B&W vs. color, or small ethics of things in photography like software limits, or photography in the news or historically, as varied examples, where should these sorts of broader topics reside in this site? It may be that the D40/60 list is not the right place, or is it fine to range out in talking about things? I wonder. Let me know if "I am not doing it right." Not as often in classical music do non-collage students go on to be the best of the best. Very often in jazz though and other improvisational styles, yes. Oh, I could go on for days about music in this way. Schooled-like thinking is probably frontal brain areas engaged more, "thinking", I think, but I just think that intuitive people can "drink in" sensory input and process it differently using other areas. I am thinking of jazz a good bit thanks to your letter and you mentioned Monk. I was thinking too of Buddy Rich (musician who could not read music.) And this correlates to photography? Maybe a little bit.
Life is an amazing journey, I am reminding myself this morning. Photography conveys real emotion, I think. The Beatles wrote from the heart and started early, as we all know. They did not learn music via college. John went to an art school. Paul loved art film and paints, and his wife loved photography, yes?
I took this picture last spring. I liked its lack of line or lack of clutter. Often I feel empty inside. Life prods me but I lack answers. I sit and think but I feel unsure. Hence the photo, taken after a meeting canceled and I was far from home on a isolated road at 9 am.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 26-Aug-10 03:30 PM
#11. "RE: photojournalism equipment?"
In response to Reply # 10

Richmond, US

> if the topic veers off to general photography questions like favorite inspirations or B&W vs. color, or small ethics of things in photography like software limits, or photography in the news or historically, as varied examples, where should these sorts of broader topics reside in this site?

Probably in the English Cafe. (Or the French, German, etc ones, if you choose to ask in those languages )

> ... this correlates to photography? Maybe a little bit.

I think it does. Music and photography are both arts. They're both skills, to a certain degree. Like any other endeavor, they are areas in which some have impressive credentials, while others who may be just as effective have none - or worse.

> John went to an art school.

I understand that this statement is a bit of an overstatement. Yes he enrolled, but from what I've read, he attended but didn't really participate, in the sense of art.

> Paul loved art film and paints, and his wife loved photography, yes?

Linda McCartney was an accomplished photographer.

> I took this picture last spring. I liked its lack of line or lack of clutter.

It is certainly not classical in its composition - rule of thirds, etc.

> Often I feel empty inside.

I wonder if it wouldn't more strongly reflect the feelings you're expressing here if it weren't even more strongly biased. In this image, probably 40% of the area is occupied by the branches; it might even be 50%. A more spare composition - which I don't see in this particular scene - might have emphasized only the major branches. In a similar composition without so many little branchlets, you'd have had only 10-15% of the frame dominated by the trunks, and that might have resulted in a far stronger visual impression of emptiness, perhaps? Not a critique but a comment. I think it would be hard to arrange for a smaller proportion of black in this scene.

I enjoy that you had a feeling that you were trying to convey visually. Much of photography - or perhaps I should say, many pictures - are not based in those emotions, and it shows.

_____

musical Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2010Fri 27-Aug-10 11:44 AM
#12. "RE: photojournalism equipment?"
In response to Reply # 11

north-central, US

{wow is this list fun} What is strange in photography, all the variables. Especially with photoshop. It keeps my mind going on it all. I can't yet afford PJ equipment upgrade so I'll chat on what costs no money at all, composition Then if I do ever go with the d90, I'll have to struggle with rebooting on to a different list within this site. That's probably one month away.
I mean... I liked the little branchets or branchlettes when the 1st scenery photo was usually small like a thumbnail size, but not as much once I started to see it all much bigger. My minds eye started to really look at it more.
In this companion photo from that morning, the branches and branchets are on top and bother me, but when I tested out removing them I felt much more bothered. There is this ethic for me of "what it was." I saw that. Just that. I don't even move a leaf when I'm there. This voice in me says, no touching, no moving of anything. I wanted to get closer in but I'd have been through the ice and in the water. Not a bad thought, I suppose. I don't even hold a branch back.

As for rule of thirds, oh yes, I know. I keep trying to bust of out of jail so to speak. Let me put in a smile. I try to "break loose of the rules."
Reminds me of a tilted horizon. I am so strict about that, (I am amazed at slightly-tilted horizons in some newspaper photos, just aghasted,) but then once in awhile, I compose the subject with blatant disregard for the horizon and if the subject is really strong, it can work for me.

>I wonder if it wouldn't more strongly reflect the feelings
>you're expressing here if it weren't even more strongly
>biased. In this image, probably 40% of the area is occupied
>by the branches; it might even be 50%. A more spare
>composition - which I don't see in this particular scene -
>might have emphasized only the major branches. In a similar
>composition without so many little branchlets, you'd have had
>only 10-15% of the frame dominated by the trunks, and that
>might have resulted in a far stronger visual impression of
>emptiness, perhaps? Not a critique but a comment. I think it
>would be hard to arrange for a smaller proportion of black in
>this scene.

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Fri 27-Aug-10 12:54 PM
4835 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: photojournalism equipment?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

Well I shoot PJ for local schools, councils etc plus some press work and I use a D200 plus 20-35mm f2.8 and a 80-200mm f2.8 plus a SB-600. If need focal length in between 35mm and 80mm I have a 50mm f1.8 prime but I don't often use it...

I like the build quality of the D200 and when kitting myself out avoided the D90 as I didn't like its build quality - that is a personal opinion - others may like it. I went for the D200 as I couldn't afford a D300. Simple as that...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 27-Aug-10 07:13 PM
#14. "RE: photojournalism equipment?"
In response to Reply # 13

Richmond, US

> I use a D200 plus 20-35mm f2.8 and a 80-200mm f2.8 plus a SB-600.

I'm curious: how often do you:

(a) need to shoot at f/2.8, and perhaps more importantly that tells us
(b) how often one can shoot at f/3.5-5.6 (ie with a kit lens)?

My very limited experience with this kind of thing is that if I can use a flash, I almost never need f/2.8 (it's only a half stop faster than f/3.5 anyway), and only rarely is the DOF difference at f/5.6 really significant to the journalistic message. And I really can't remember not being able to use a flash. On the other hand, I don't do this all that much. My guess is that kit lenses can do most of the work, but you might have more data than I.

_____

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Fri 27-Aug-10 09:13 PM
4835 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: photojournalism equipment?"
In response to Reply # 14

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

You could probaly get by with a kit lens except I don't think they are

a) built well enough - weather proofing, quality of materials etc
and
b) not sharp enough - when producing an image for a local council that wants a big, framed enlargement I prefer to rely on the f2.8 lenses.

They also give you the option - I was shooting a school production the other week - play, stage, dark etc - shot at f2.8 for most of the performance just to get a faster enough shutter speed to freeze movement. Flash was not an option here.

In general you are right as long as the work load is not too great and you look after them kit lenses can do the job. Just...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #42962 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.