Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #42949
View in linear mode

Subject: "Connection trouble in D50 with computer through USB" Previous topic | Next topic
debasisswan Registered since 16th Aug 2010Fri 20-Aug-10 06:28 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Connection trouble in D50 with computer through USB"

IN

Hi,
I have encountered this problem since getting my D50 around 4 years back. Computer recognizes the camera (In PTP mode) when I connect it with a short USB cable. But fails to recognize when the cable length increases over 5ft. I have tried to connect the camera via a powered USB hub attached to computer but with same result.

Experts say- USB2 cable needs to be shorter than 15ft.

I need to operate the camera through Capture Control when I attach it with my Telescope for the pictures of Sky (my interest area). So, around 10ft length of cable is very important.

A friend of mine suggested to try Active USB cable instead of commonly used Passive USB cable to get increased cable length. Many of this Active USB cables are available in E Bay. Anyone with experience with them?

In addition, there are USB to RJ45 conversion adapters through which the additional length can be achieved through LAN cables. Does it work? Any experience?
Please help-
Regards-
Debasis.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Sat 21-Aug-10 03:45 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Connection trouble in D50 with computer through USB"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Have you tried to connect the camera to a different computer to see if the limitation is coming from the PC or camera?

I have only used the Active cables for things like keyboards and mice and I have never tried a camera at that distance. The amount of data is an order of magnitude more for a camera at least, however.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

debasisswan Registered since 16th Aug 2010Sat 21-Aug-10 06:55 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Connection trouble in D50 with computer through USB"
In response to Reply # 1

IN

Hi,
This is the same with different computers. At least with my Desktop and two laptops. I was just trying to figure out the options like Active USB, or USB connection over Cat 5 protocol, Or USB connection through LAN hardware etc.
Since you have used active USB cables, any idea about the quality of those available in E Bay?

Regards-
Debasis

Try shooting the largest object of this universe- SKY.

debasisswan Registered since 16th Aug 2010Thu 02-Sep-10 02:01 PM
#3. "RE: Connection trouble in D50 with computer through USB"
In response to Reply # 2

IN

Hi all,

Finally I got the solution. To share with you all, I have used an Active USB extender cable ionstead of just simple common USB cable.

As the experts say- normal cables are just connectors with jacks fitted at both ends. When the length of cable increases beyond a set limit (Theoritically 15 ft for USB 2), the perfect pairing of two instruments fails due to mainly drop in voltage and duration taken for the electronic streaming from one end of the cable to another end that becomes longer than the acceptable limit.

To handle this- active USB connectors have certain electronics in between two ends that takes care of the voltage drop and puts some kind of data buffering service. So, both the troubles are taken care of.

The cable that worked with my set up is a 15 ft long one combined with another small cable, so total- around 16ft. With normal cables , I could not go beyond 5ft.

I got the cable from a Hong Kong seller in e-bay.com. The same item of different prices are available. Wothout much of pre purchase assurance of performance, I opted for a low cost one. It is just below 7USD but worked perfectly. Built quality is also not very poor. The better ones may be costlier ones.

Thanks
Debasis

Try shooting the largest object of this universe- SKY.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #42949 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.