nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Connection trouble in D50 with computer through USB

debasisswan

IN
4 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
debasisswan Registered since 16th Aug 2010
Fri 20-Aug-10 06:28 PM

Hi,
I have encountered this problem since getting my D50 around 4 years back. Computer recognizes the camera (In PTP mode) when I connect it with a short USB cable. But fails to recognize when the cable length increases over 5ft. I have tried to connect the camera via a powered USB hub attached to computer but with same result.

Experts say- USB2 cable needs to be shorter than 15ft.

I need to operate the camera through Capture Control when I attach it with my Telescope for the pictures of Sky (my interest area). So, around 10ft length of cable is very important.

A friend of mine suggested to try Active USB cable instead of commonly used Passive USB cable to get increased cable length. Many of this Active USB cables are available in E Bay. Anyone with experience with them?

In addition, there are USB to RJ45 conversion adapters through which the additional length can be achieved through LAN cables. Does it work? Any experience?
Please help-
Regards-
Debasis.

G