Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #42934
View in linear mode

Subject: "Sensor cleaning a D40X" Previous topic | Next topic
Reilly M Registered since 26th Jul 2008Sat 14-Aug-10 07:44 PM
983 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Sensor cleaning a D40X"

Monrovia, US

I am about to overcome my trepidation about sensor cleaning.
Can someone walk me through the mirror lock-up routine?
And with a fully-charged battery can I assume there is no
danger of the mirror closing in mid-swab?

Thanks!

yours,
Reilly

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

The only stupid question is the one you should have asked....

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Sun 15-Aug-10 05:18 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Sensor cleaning a D40X"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 15-Aug-10 05:19 PM by MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US

It's really not at all complicated. Yes make sure you have a full battery or power adapter. Then, locate the MLU item in the tools menu, activate it, then press the shutter button and the mirror will lock up. Turn the camera off to let it back down.

My advice about swabbing: I recommend you avoid wet cleaning unless it's absolutely necessary. Dry cleaning cures 95% of my sensor dust problems.

Some people recommend a Giottos Rocket Blower as a first pass, and I used to do this, but now I find it just moves dust around and lets as much in as it blows out. I use a Sensor Sweep from Copperhill in conjunction with a Sensor Loupe from Visible Dust. It couldn't be simpler. Look through the loupe, see the dust, pick it up with the Sensor Sweep. No more test images, perfect clean every time. In rare cases where I have a piece of welded dust or pollen, I use the wet/dry swabs from Green Clean. I find that the cleaner in these swabs doesn't evaporate as fast as Eclipse, which makes it much easier to avoid streaks on the sensor.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

Reilly M Registered since 26th Jul 2008Fri 17-Sep-10 05:21 AM
983 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Sensor cleaning a D40X"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 17-Sep-10 05:21 AM by Reilly M

Monrovia, US

Thanks Larry, I finally got the nerve up and just did it - not so scary!
I only used a Giotto and while it may have only moved the dust
around at least most of it departed the sensor! I held it face down
while I blew so hopefully it fell out; yeah, right. Next time I am
going to hold it over a vacuum, though not too close!

yours,
Reilly

The only stupid question is the one you should have asked....

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #42934 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.