nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #42924
View in linear mode

Subject: "I feel so outdated..." Previous topic | Next topic
Photograffiti Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Apr 2006Thu 12-Aug-10 06:35 AM
453 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"I feel so outdated..."

LA (Lower Arkansas), US

While I shoot a D700 for paying or important stuff, my everyday/walkaround camera is my trusty D50. I just picked up a used one with less than 1K clicks...and it will be my 5th one. While I occasionally chimp my shots, I rarely rely on the small LCD. Nevertheless, when I'm shooting in a crowd, I get the camera snobs looking down their lenses at my "lowly" D50. But I really like to see their expressions when they see my shots.

Am I the only one who deals with camera snobbery?

Mark
www.markpricephotography.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: I feel so outdated...
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
12th Aug 2010
Wapusk Silver Member
12th Aug 2010
RichardNDL Silver Member
12th Aug 2010
Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine
12th Aug 2010
Eddie Michaels
14th Aug 2010
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
14th Aug 2010
Floridian Silver Member
13th Aug 2010
DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer
21st Aug 2010
Photograffiti Silver Member
21st Aug 2010
Drbee Silver Member
21st Aug 2010
Photograffiti Silver Member
22nd Aug 2010
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
26th Aug 2010
LL49Wat
23rd Aug 2010
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
26th Aug 2010
avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
26th Aug 2010
LL49Wat
26th Aug 2010
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
26th Aug 2010
smartybones
15th Sep 2010
greenwing Gold Member
16th Sep 2010
smartybones
16th Sep 2010
James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography
16th Sep 2010
ironwoodphoto
11th Aug 2011
LL49Wat
11th Aug 2011
ironwoodphoto
12th Aug 2011
Bluewaterhooker0
13th Aug 2011
TomCurious
14th Aug 2011

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 12-Aug-10 07:35 AM
26971 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: I feel so outdated..."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Mark,

Even when out with my D70S or a P & S, I have never felt that way!
Are the "Camera Snobs" saying something to you or do you feel they are looking down on you without saying anythind?
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Wapusk Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Sep 2007Thu 12-Aug-10 04:07 PM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: I feel so outdated..."
In response to Reply # 0

Brantford, CA

You get that in some clubs. But you learn that it is the photographer and not the machine used that really counts. I have seen some Red Ribbon and perfect score results from people that use P&S exclusively. I like the saying, "Those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind." I am not sure who said that but I agree.

RichardNDL Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jun 2008Thu 12-Aug-10 06:02 PM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: I feel so outdated..."
In response to Reply # 0

woodland, US

I have just the opposite problem. I'm usually taking pictures with my D60 when everybody around me has P&S. Then I switch to one of the four lenses I have in my bag & everybody acts as if I'm going to be taking these award winning shots. And generally, I have to tell them that "having a good camera doesn't mean you're a good photographer". I just click away and take enough shots that one or two will be presentable.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 12-Aug-10 08:24 PM
10873 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: I feel so outdated..."
In response to Reply # 0

US

That's pretty ironic and it's indicative of the quick product life-cycles since digital photography became mainstream. If it ain't spankin' new and shiny, it ain't nothin.

It used to be that the person with the really worn equipment was the real pro in the crowd. Many years ago, I was shooting a stage play one time as a favor to a friend for his lighting portfolio. The state metropolitan daily was there to fill a column for the Social Page. Ironically I was dressed well with khakis and a polo shirt, and shooting with a then-new N80 and a new 80-200 2.8 two-ring. The gal from the paper was dressed down in ratty jeans, a poet shirt and bandanna. But she had a well-worn D1 and a battered, brassed 80-200 2.8 push-pull that looked like it had seen action in the Gulf. I babied my equipment, she dumped that lens nose down on the floor (no hood!) and wasn't shy about making quick lens changes with the tele and an equally beaten 17-35 2.8. The producers kept insisting I be given up front locations and excellent sight-lines, while the poor stringer was trying to find a location from fourth row back.

I finally had to tell the show runners, look if you want good press for the weekend edition, you'd better give some equal consideration to that gal - identifying the stringer and her affiliation. They just gaped for five seconds then started pushing me to the back so she could get good sight lines. Sigh.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Eddie Michaels Registered since 18th Jul 2009Sat 14-Aug-10 07:15 PM
118 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: I feel so outdated..."
In response to Reply # 4
Sat 14-Aug-10 09:16 PM by Eddie Michaels

US

41 years ago...summer intern "press photographer" Courier Post in Cherry Hill, NJ. $90.00 per week plus Graflex Stroboflash II, Star D Tripod and 2 way radio equipped company car.

Required to supply 2 personally owned Nikon F bodies for compatibility with pool lenses (21/4.0 with external optical finder and 300/4.5) I owned a 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 105/2.5 and a 200/4.0 plus a Luna Six meter and a Honeywell Strobonar. Only allowed to shoot Tri-x.

REQUIRED APPEARENCE: Suit or sports jacket with long sleeve white dress shirt and always knotted tie against always buttoned collar.
Polished hard leather black or brown lace up dress shoes with black socks.
Clean shave, not even a mustache or sideburns.
Crew cut hair or just long enough to part, use Vitalis or Brylcream to keep down.
No sunglasses
Only remove your jacket in darkroom no matter how hot it was in non air condition stick shift car. 1968 2 door Dodge Dart in which we were required to keep all but drivers window fully closed to stop snatch and grab thieves in stop and go traffic.
Cumbersome suitcase style Fibre-bilt cases for cameras and lenses that we were required to carry by handle thus slowing grab and enterprise shooting.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 14-Aug-10 07:33 PM
26971 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: I feel so outdated..."
In response to Reply # 6

US

Hi Ed,

The Good Old Days!!!
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Fri 13-Aug-10 09:04 PM
2759 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: I feel so outdated..."
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

>... Nevertheless, when I'm shooting in a crowd, I
>get the camera snobs looking down their lenses at my
>"lowly" D50...

My experience (like Richard's) is the opposite. A D50 looks like a big, intimidating camera to people used to seeing point-and-shoots, and I sometimes feel self-conscious with mine because of that.

I do agree it's a great camera. I also have a D300, but use my D50 a lot still. For 90% of the shots I take you couldn't tell whether they came from the D50 or D300. Sometimes I prefer the D50 because it is a bit smaller and lighter, and because the file sizes it produces are half as large as photos from the D300.

I wanted to take a camera with me today, for no specific reason, but you never know when you'll see a photo op. I have my D50 with me; the D300 is relaxing at home.

I have to admire someone who's had five of them. I'm still on my first one!

Randy

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Sat 21-Aug-10 05:07 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: I feel so outdated..."
In response to Reply # 5

Phoenix, US

Just wait until you throw a Gary Fong diffuser on the flash. Now that's intimidating.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Photograffiti Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Apr 2006Sat 21-Aug-10 09:39 PM
453 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: I feel so outdated..."
In response to Reply # 5

LA (Lower Arkansas), US

>Sometimes I prefer the D50 because it is a bit smaller and lighter, and because the file sizes it produces are half as large as photos
>from the D300.

>Randy

This is exactly why I love this little camera. I've actually got two D50 kits. One is complete with the 18-55/55-200VR/35 1.8/SB-400. I leave this kit at work. The other is complete with the 18-70/70-300VR/Sigma 30 1.4/SB-400. This is my walkaround kit that I carry with me almost everywhere. While it doesn't have the low-light capabilities of my FX rig, it has taken some excellent shots and after carrying it all day, I'm still able to walk around without pain.

Mark

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Sat 21-Aug-10 09:58 PM
5834 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: I feel so outdated..."
In response to Reply # 0

US

I'd bet that the majority of the people shooting around you are really not paying much attention to the camera you have. A few might look and wonder, or put you in the black-camera category instead of the red-camera category (like the one they are shooting), but most of the time you need to step on their foot or get in the way of their stroller before they really look at you.

We folks on the equipment forums get our nose out of joint about our camera, but most of the rest of the world is just trying to keep them separated from their keys or dealing with the more difficult decision of whether to look for their camera or just use the cell phone.

If all else fails, the D700 should give you a feeling of some "superiority".

If you find yourself standing beside me, don't bother to notice I have a D3s taped over my D2Hs label.

Best Regards,
Roger

Photograffiti Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Apr 2006Sun 22-Aug-10 03:41 AM
#11. "RE: I feel so outdated..."
In response to Reply # 10

LA (Lower Arkansas), US

I'm just waiting on the D500 to be announced. Then I'll put an extra 0 on the D50 label.

Folks just might think I'm testing the newest Nikon prototype

Mark

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 26-Aug-10 04:47 PM
26893 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#14. "RE: I feel so outdated..."
In response to Reply # 10

Richmond, US

> don't bother to notice I have a D3s taped over my D2Hs label.

Snicker... maybe I should put a D2h label over my D3.

I wonder if anyone would take the bait if I put a 3 over my D2x label?

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

LL49Wat Registered since 21st May 2004Mon 23-Aug-10 06:00 PM
1687 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: I feel so outdated..."
In response to Reply # 0

Spartanburg, US

I have felt what you have felt at times, but I think I have also been guilty of thinking more highly of myself than I should just because I knew I had a better camera than the other guy. "If he knew what he was doing, he'd buy..."

Both are fallacious thinking.

My husband got tired of me running around with old-style film cameras and bought me a D40x. I recently upgraded to a D90 to be able to use non-DX lenses and so that I could shoot movies with sound . The D40x will get a good cleaning and then be back at work.

However, there are times when I take back the old Kodak Z10 that I gave to my son because it is not as intimidating as a DSLR, even a small DSLR. I also tend to treat the P & S more harshly; I don't worry as much about dust, moisture, etc. It also goes in the car with me, stuck in my lunch box. As a matter of fact, I've been on the Coolpix forum trying to get guidance about buying a used 8800, 8700 or P80, just so my son can keep his P & S!

So enjoy your D700 and your D50. The big kahonas are great, but the little cameras also have a place to use and to enjoy.

LL49Wat

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 26-Aug-10 04:45 PM
26893 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#13. "RE: I feel so outdated..."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 26-Aug-10 04:48 PM by blw

Richmond, US

It doesn't happen any more, but a few years ago I fairly regularly got the "Nikon users are switching to Canon" stuff. And as I was shooting a D2h, I got some fairly ridiculous commentary about it not being a serious camera, what with its 4mp and all. Or about its not being "full frame."

Once I even had some "kind" but, as evidenced by his "helpful" suggestions a "more knowledgeable" stranger point out that I was too close to the subject. I have to admit that I was doing something that I ordinarily would never do, and which I actively advise not doing, but a subject is a subject, and I did not have my tripod. Anyway, this person saw me struggling - with composition, in fact - and told me in no uncertain terms that my problem was that I was too close to the subject to focus. The punchline: the lens was the Tamron 90/f2.8 Macro, and I was probably a good foot and a half away. I was so surprised that someone would just offer such faulty "wisdom" to a random stranger in a state park that I wasn't able to supply a smart-aleck rejoinder.

In the other direction, I've recently been at some sports events and I'm getting tired of being asked "ooooohhhh... how many millimeters is THAT lens?"

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberThu 26-Aug-10 05:19 PM
18629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: I feel so outdated..."
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

My camera can look intimidating when its mounted in my CB Jr. flash bracket, SC-17, speedlight, lens and body with vertical grip. Lots of people think I'm a hired pro, when I use it this way. In a lull, I get asked to show my pics.

Being the smarty pants that I am, I will either show them an exposed roll or the back of the camera...with no viewfinder or buttons. After the shock starts to roll off, I tell I'm still shooting film (F100/MB-15, typically a 28-105, SB-28). If they asked if I shoot digital, and its handy, I show them my Coolpix 4500 with a flash bracket and an SB-30 attached.

Yeah, I find that because my "big" camera is not digital I must not shoot good photos. Used to be that if you had a "big" camera/lens combo you took good photos, but now you have to shoot digital to get good photos...with a "big" camera/lens. I can't win.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

LL49Wat Registered since 21st May 2004Thu 26-Aug-10 05:35 PM
1687 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: I feel so outdated..."
In response to Reply # 15

Spartanburg, US

I will keep my film Nikons; they are my old friends.

I haven't been out shooting much; it has been one of those kind of years. However, I intend to begin to take some time off just to shoot. I'll probably end up taking a couple of film bodies, F3HP and F4 and well as the digitals. I'll shoot black and white and some color and....

I just wish I was as good a photographer as any of the cameras are technically. Still working on it.

LL49Wat

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberThu 26-Aug-10 11:48 PM
35227 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: I feel so outdated..."
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

If you want to live long, what others may think of you should be none of your business. You do what you do with what you have and where you are.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

smartybones Registered since 15th Sep 2010Wed 15-Sep-10 12:54 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: I feel so outdated..."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 16-Sep-10 07:13 AM by James23p

UK

Ahhhh, good old camera envy, But let’s face it, it does not stop at the camera...

Driving to where I am shooting in my trusty 02 plate 1.8 Vectra (the old shape, the new shape one came in later that same year), If I need to overtake a idiot in a micra hogging the middle lane doing 56 mph I have to force my way into the BMW/Merc/Audi lane. Next thing I have some fool, who will need a new car within 2 years because they will write it off, or trade it in because next year’s version of the car has a better voice on the sat-nav, will be right up my exhaust pipe sarcastically indicating to turn right. Not that I have anywhere to go mind you, I am still going past the micra and allowing a safe gap before I move back over. I begin to grind my teeth...

The next thing, I arrive in the car park to the location where I am shooting and the same fool who was trying to get intimate with my car on the motorway is taking up two parking spaces. The idiot is there with his ray-bans on the top of his head, pulling out the back of his car all his kit. Cases, bags, boxes, all with CANON in big red letters all over everything...

Well before I start getting my kit out, I decide to take a leak. You do not want to be caught short while trying to take photographs. Low and behold, Mr BMW/ray-ban appears in the next urinal.

So, I make my way to the area for the upcoming event to get set up. I scout out for a good location then check all my kit. Battery, lens, spare memory card, all correct. Give the glass a final clean. Fire off a few test shots. Adjust white balance... Next thing, Mr BMW/Ray-ban appears... starts to unpack. First thing out is a chair. An expensive foldaway affair. It looks like the same guys who make precision Swiss watches made it. Next, out comes the tripod. My god, you could hold up a space shuttle ready for launch on the thing. Next out comes the Camera, a shiny new Canon (I think it may still have the plastic protection over the viewfinder). Next the lens. My god, look at the size of that thing! You could tell which way Mr Armstrong was dressed the day he landed on the moon with that thing. I am sure he must have stolen it from NASA...

So, the show is about to start, the announcement is made to listen out for the aircraft as they approach. So I switch on my trusty Nikon d40 with a 55 to 200 zoom. Just as I suspected, from over the buildings they came, I quickly turned around and got half a dozen shots off as they came swooshing right over my location. Mr BMW/Ray-ban as he tried to swing around with his camera on the tripod missed the shot. All I heard as the engine noise faded was a string of expletives. I allowed myself a slight giggle. As I thought of his wonderful shot, he would have of the exhaust end of the jets.

The show progressed for the next 30 min or so, I was getting shot after shot of great photos. No matter what they did, I could zoom out or zoom in, spin around to catch them whatever direction the jets flew in from. Mr BMW/ray-ban on the other hand was struggling with his telescope and tripod. In the end, he gave up. I could hear him rooting around in his cases for something. Muttering and swearing. Next thing I hear, oh dam nit, this will have to do... Detracted I had to look, as he was frantically attaching a 55mm prime lens. I could not help it, I did actually laugh out loud as the show finished just as he pointed his camera skywards.

Later that day, on my way home along the m55, Mr BMW/Ray-ban came flying passed me; He must have been doing 120mph! A few miles along, there he is again, on the hard shoulder, with officer dibble issuing him a ticket for speeding...

After I got home and sorted through my photos, I selected maybe a dozen particularly good photos, and posted them to the red arrows group on flickr. While clicking through some of the other pictures, I noticed one other photo, a quite reasonable wide angled shot of the closing stunt of the display. Looking at the profile picture, I noticed it was Mr BMW/ray ban. He had posted some other pictures, some very nice close up shots of the planes. Some of the comments that were attached were asking how he got ground access to the planes for the close-ups. You honestly could not tell the jets were in the air. The comments started to flood in on my pictures. Saying how good they were, and how they captured the speed of the planes and the atmosphere of the event.

I have many friends who always look at the model numbers before the photographs. They always assume that because they have a d5000 that it takes better pictures than my d40. It’s not just cameras, its phones, cars, computers, penis. I am well aware that my D40 is getting old; do I plan on replacing it. Yes. When? When my photography skills outperform the camera or the camera will not do something I need it to do for a job or it breaks. Which I believe is a long way off.

Any likeness to any person, living or dead in this story is entirely intentional. You know who you are !

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Thu 16-Sep-10 08:48 AM
1303 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: I feel so outdated..."
In response to Reply # 18

Yorkshire, UK

Nice first post Martin. It made me laugh, anyway. Welcome to Nikonians!

Chris

smartybones Registered since 15th Sep 2010Thu 16-Sep-10 03:16 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: I feel so outdated..."
In response to Reply # 19

UK

Thank you Chris.

I do sometimes get a little carried away with a story. Was a little dissapointed with the censorship, but hey, if thats the board rules thats the rules. I never intend to upset anyone.

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Thu 16-Sep-10 03:47 PM
9853 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: I feel so outdated..."
In response to Reply # 20

Memphis, US

Hi Marty I have to say the moral of your story is so very true! As far as the censorship we do walk a balancing act on the posters rights in accordance with the Terms of use and the sites ability to keep it G rated and family friendly. The other problem is being a global site we have to remember what is acceptable in your area of the world might not be in another part of the globe.

But your story was right on many parts and I am sure many members enjoyed your post. I can't tell you how many times MR BMW has passed me in my 1995 GMC truck.

Last welcome to Nikonians I can see you are going to add alot to the community!

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

ironwoodphoto Registered since 25th Jul 2011Thu 11-Aug-11 03:11 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: I feel so outdated..."
In response to Reply # 21

CA

I know the feeling I get it here when I am out and about.
If you really want to get strange take shots with an old Zeiss Ikon with 120 film.
It really confuses them

On the other side, I sometimes get the feeling of being left behind when I look at pictures in the Nikonian newsletters. I have a D40 and all the pictures seem to be taken by D300, D700, D3 etc and nothing from the smaller cameras

Tony

LL49Wat Registered since 21st May 2004Thu 11-Aug-11 06:38 PM
#23. "RE: I feel so outdated..."
In response to Reply # 22

Spartanburg, US

Hurray for the D40!

I have taken some outstanding pictures with the D40x.

It may not have the pixel count or some of the bells and whistles of some other DNikons, but this camera has been a little gem, and I say that with a bit of shame because I would never have bought it because I thought it too delicate. My wise spouse bought it for me and the past few years have greatly changed my opinion.

I did buy a D300 a few years ago but had to put it aside when I tore my shoulder up. Although I still can't handle a heavy body or lens unless I use a tripod, I have been able to use the D40 without problems even when I was not able to carry the tripod. So the D40 is probably more important than ever for me.

LL49Wat

ironwoodphoto Registered since 25th Jul 2011Fri 12-Aug-11 01:30 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: I feel so outdated..."
In response to Reply # 23

CA

Thanks for the reply, I'm glad to see that others feel as I do. I have been shooting with the D40 for a few years and love it. I have a Sigma 70-300 macro lense and I can hold it with one hand on the D40. My old camera needed 2 hands

Tony

Bluewaterhooker0 Registered since 31st Jan 2009Sat 13-Aug-11 04:42 AM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: I feel so outdated..."
In response to Reply # 0

Tampa, US

My "Intimidation Rig" would have to be a D80 with battery grip (for bulk), a 70-300mm with lens hood (for extra length), a Sunpak 622 handle mount flash unit with the accessory umbrella and corded battery pack, mounted, of course, on a Stroboframe flash bracket. Absolutely usless in any close quartered environment, but it really gets the "WOW" factor into high gear. People really don't understand that you can only shoot perfectly exposed (and well lit) nose hair shots, but what the hey. Once they are appropriately intimidated, you can switch to a useful set up...you've already established your unquestioned expertise . On the other hand, when going to a Bucs game, the tactic is just the opposite. Strip that puppy down to bare bones, and look a stupid as possible, or they won't let you bring it into the stadium (as a spectator). Ironically, that's where that 70-300 would come in handy.

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Sun 14-Aug-11 04:57 AM
2339 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: I feel so outdated..."
In response to Reply # 0

Bay Area, US

This thread is an interesting read! I normally use my D700, but now and then I dig out my old D40. I use it with the new Nikon 50/1.8G, and this is a great combo for throwing into the backpack. Like this morning when we went on a little trip.

http://www.tkphoto.me/Family/Train-Ride/i-7DqcgWn/0/L/Train-20110813-082-L.jpg

http://www.tkphoto.me/Family/Train-Ride/i-mfxz6wV/0/L/Train-20110813-026-L.jpg

http://www.tkphoto.me/Family/Train-Ride/i-Hg3XN7X/0/L/Train-20110813-055-L.jpg

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #42924 Previous topic | Next topic