Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #4285
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which bag or case for Nikon D50" Previous topic | Next topic
schappy1 Registered since 22nd Feb 2006Mon 27-Feb-06 07:30 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which bag or case for Nikon D50"

Im looking for a small bag or case for my Nikon D50. I will be backpacking Europe so I want something small and compact. Ive looked at the soft case from Nikon. Any opinions?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Which bag or case for Nikon D50
Serleth
27th Feb 2006
K1W1
27th Feb 2006
swansons
27th Feb 2006
ChrisSLC
27th Feb 2006
mrcleversocks
28th Feb 2006
Euphony010
28th Feb 2006
K1W1
28th Feb 2006
markgray
28th Feb 2006
dakar
28th Feb 2006
northjay1
01st Mar 2006
jashsu
02nd Mar 2006

Serleth Registered since 04th Jan 2006Mon 27-Feb-06 07:38 AM
78 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Which bag or case for Nikon D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Edmonton, CA

Depends how many lenses, what kind of photography you figure you'll be doing. Mine's a Lowepro Rezo 170 AW, fits a few filters, the D50 with a smallish lens mounted (50mm), a secondary slightly larger lens (currently the 18-55 kit lens), the battery, charger, some other misc stuff (with a bit of wiggling, anyways). I'm not sure if the 70-200mm will fit in there properly, I haven't seen the dimensions first-hand, but I think it will (11.65cm length from mount to tip, according to the site)

If you're taking more, then upgrade. My Lowepro cost about $45 CAN I think.

Mike
Albertan Nikonian

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Mon 27-Feb-06 09:03 AM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which bag or case for Nikon D50"
In response to Reply # 1

Melbourne, AU

My Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home suits my D50, 18-55 and 70-300 lenses plus wallets, mobile phone and other stuff just nicely (with room for one more lens or a flash). Of course you can go bigger or smaller if you want.

http://www.crumpler.com.au/cartIndex.php?prodId=219&prodType=Bag&catId=22

swansons Registered since 12th Dec 2005Mon 27-Feb-06 10:51 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which bag or case for Nikon D50"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I tried several holster-style cases and picked the Lowepro TLZ2:

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Toploading/classic/Topload_Zoom_2.aspx

It has enough room to hold a medium zoom (e.g., 70-300) should I ever get one. The TLZ1 is a little shorter if you don't need the room.

Scott

ChrisSLC Registered since 13th Jan 2006Mon 27-Feb-06 11:20 PM
742 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Which bag or case for Nikon D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

I had the Lowepro Ex 140, it would fit your kit just fine... your kit was what I was going for initially so I sized everything around that.

My Gallery

mrcleversocks Registered since 18th Jan 2006Tue 28-Feb-06 01:28 AM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Which bag or case for Nikon D50"
In response to Reply # 4

Minneapolis, US

I am also in the market for a bag. I am looking for a backpack/daypack type that I can put some personal stuff in as well as my cameras.

I have looked online at both of these? Anyone have any experience with either?

Lowepro Orion Trekker II Dual
or
Tamrac 5547 Adventure 7 Photo Backpack

They are both pretty much the same price.

Euphony010 Registered since 08th Nov 2005Tue 28-Feb-06 04:33 AM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Which bag or case for Nikon D50"
In response to Reply # 5

After recently upgrading my bag, I'm going to urge you to buy a bag that is big enough for you to grow into. I bought my first bag thinking it would be the perfect size. Now, a SB600 and Nikon 80-200 later, I was forced to upgrade to a bigger bag.

I'd rather have extra space and know I could load everything I will eventually own.

Goodluck.
Thomas

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Tue 28-Feb-06 07:23 AM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Which bag or case for Nikon D50"
In response to Reply # 6

Melbourne, AU

I subscribe to the lighter is better theory. After years of lugging Notebook computers through Airports the last thing I want to do is carry all my photographic gear all the time in the off chance that I may need some obscue filter or one of several lenses. I'd rather have a smaller bag that has room for a body and a couple of lenses and or a flash and enjoy my days activities rather than be weighed down like a pack horse.
Also one very important thing to consider. If you have ALL your gear in one bag ALL your gear can be lost / stolen / destroyed INSTANTLY.

markgray Registered since 25th Feb 2006Tue 28-Feb-06 12:06 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Which bag or case for Nikon D50"
In response to Reply # 7

GB

I've just bought the Lowepro AW Mini Trekker Backpack. Holds the D50 with a lens and enough room for quite a few other lenses.

Also has a Tripod Holder on it.

Very nice bag, bought mine on ebay for half price.

dakar Registered since 30th Nov 2005Tue 28-Feb-06 04:53 PM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Which bag or case for Nikon D50"
In response to Reply # 5

Sligo, IE

I went for the Orion II Trekker and it does just what I need, holds D50 with 18-55 on board, 70-300, flash and random stuff(MP3 player etc). As some of the other posters say, depends what you need it for.

Incidentally, it doesn't look like a typical camera bag which may be better for security when travelling. Plenty of room for snacks and so on too.

Darren

northjay1 Registered since 10th Feb 2006Wed 01-Mar-06 07:38 PM
249 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Which bag or case for Nikon D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Estes/westminster, US

hope this helps take a look at a singer bag from addorama my wife and I first saw one in canada hikeing so I picked one up-- cheap and worked like a charm you can walk for miles and not worry about climbing or bending over have a look ----j

jashsu Registered since 19th Feb 2006Thu 02-Mar-06 12:33 AM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Which bag or case for Nikon D50"
In response to Reply # 0

San Luis Obispo, US

If I had to go with a camera bag, id probably go with Tamrac. Most if not all their products are made in California, and of quite high quality. On top of that, they have what seems like a bag for every different combination of gear, so finding one that fits just right shouldn't be a problem. I think the explorer series is nice for storing one body plus an extra lens.

However, depending on what parts of Europe you are travelling through, you may not want to carry your camera in a bag that looks like a camera bag (i.e. thief magnet). In that situation, I would prefer to pack the camera in a form-fit case (i.e. the Nikon semi-soft or anything with that shape) and then toss that into a regular backpack. Alternately, you could wrap the camera in a T-shirt and put it straight in.

Whatever you choose, enjoy your trip!

Jason

-Jason

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #4285 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.