Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #42051
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which is better ENEL9 or ENEL9a battery for D40x camera" Previous topic | Next topic
heheharhar Registered since 03rd Jan 2010Fri 08-Jan-10 01:48 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which is better ENEL9 or ENEL9a battery for D40x camera"

CA

I notice that there are two batteries in the market for my Nikon D40x camera, which one should I buy as the original battery that comes with the camera is ENEL9. Then what is the difference of the two besides one is 1000mah and the other is 1080mah. Also, there is a firmware update for my camera for the ENEL9a battery on the web. If I update the firmware, could I still best use of the original ENEL9 battery or I have to switch to ENEL9a batteries after the fimrware update to v. 1.1 . My current firmware in my camera is v. 1.0 . Please help and advise. Thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 08-Jan-10 03:15 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Which is better ENEL9 or ENEL9a battery for D40x camera"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 08-Jan-10 05:54 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

The EN-EL9a battery can provide a longer battery life. The camera can already use either battery, but the update provides a better estimate of battery life and number of shots when the EN-EL9a is used.

The camera should be able to use either battery in the D40(x). The EN-EL9a has a battery life reporting feature that is used in the D3000/5000 and those cameras will only accept the EN-EL9a due to some unique shaping that the EN-EL9 does not have but the additional shaping does not interfere with placing the EN-EL9a in the D40(x). The same charger for the EN-EL9 will charge the EN-EL9a, but it might take longer.

This is like the EN-EL3/3a/3e for the D70(s)/100/200.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

heheharhar Registered since 03rd Jan 2010Fri 08-Jan-10 03:26 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which is better ENEL9 or ENEL9a battery for D40x camera"
In response to Reply # 1

CA

Hi George,

Thanks for your advise, after reading your notes, please correct me if I am wrong. I can keep the current firmware v. 1.0 in my camera no matter which battery I am using and whether update the firmware for my camera is not deem necessary. Is it right? Thanks

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 08-Jan-10 03:47 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which is better ENEL9 or ENEL9a battery for D40x camera"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 08-Jan-10 05:12 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

From what Nikon has posted that is true. But if you use the EN-EL9a the displayed data might not be correct. Not a big problem.

Nikon might not tell you all of the changes that are made.

If you send your camera in for service, the firmware will be upgraded.

If you do not need the extra battery life or you will not be moving up to a D3000/5000 you should be happy with the EN-EL9.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #42051 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.