Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #41478
View in linear mode

Subject: "18-55mm Kit Lens" Previous topic | Next topic
BeeKay60 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Mar 2009Tue 03-Nov-09 06:42 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"18-55mm Kit Lens"
Tue 03-Nov-09 07:18 PM by BeeKay60

Roseville, US

Am trying to force myself to use the 18-55mm kit lens which came with my D60. I also have a 55-200mm lens which I like much better (probably because I get better results), but I am trying to use the 18-55mm too. We just got back from vacation and in looking at the photos I took with the 18-55 I am disappointed. Maybe I am asking the lens to do something of which it is not capable. I wanted a photo of my husband on the right side of the frame with a riverboat and lake on the left (his right). I lined him up and used the right focal point. When I opened the photo up on the computer he was blurry -- not terribly, but obviously out of focus. I used Aperture mode (f/22) at 18mm. I believe I was in Single Point AF (I would have to check for sure as I am at work right now). It was a semi clear day and I was probably 4 feet away from him. Any suggestions?

Betsy
Nikon D7000, D60
Windows 7 Ultimate
Lightroom 5.3
Photoshop CC

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: 18-55mm Kit Lens
Scotty Silver Member
03rd Nov 2009
MEMcD Moderator
03rd Nov 2009
BeeKay60 Silver Member
03rd Nov 2009
blw Moderator
04th Nov 2009
MotoMannequin Moderator
04th Nov 2009
mikeac
04th Nov 2009
MotoMannequin Moderator
04th Nov 2009
mikeac
04th Nov 2009
BeeKay60 Silver Member
04th Nov 2009
MEMcD Moderator
04th Nov 2009
Feeshbate
23rd Nov 2009
sunndance
28th Nov 2009
DeanAZ Moderator
28th Nov 2009
gunfighter48
28th Nov 2009
BeeKay60 Silver Member
29th Nov 2009
Bluewaterhooker0
06th Dec 2009

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Tue 03-Nov-09 07:55 PM
4816 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 18-55mm Kit Lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

It could be that at f22 you would have possibly had a slow shutter speed resulting in camera shake. What does the EXIF say?

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 03-Nov-09 08:00 PM
25570 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 18-55mm Kit Lens"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Betsy,

Was the backround in focus?
Could you post the image with the Exif data intact?
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

BeeKay60 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Mar 2009Tue 03-Nov-09 08:22 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: 18-55mm Kit Lens"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 03-Nov-09 08:26 PM by BeeKay60

Roseville, US

I am rather embarassed to post the photo because it is so bad. I'll check the Exif when I get home to see what the shutter speed was. I was actually trying something I read in Bryan Peterson's book Digital Photography. He called f/22 the "storytelling" aperture. You focus on something interesting 4' to 5' away using f/22 and the whole picture (including the presumably also interesting background) should be in focus.

On the other hand, I also took some amazing pictures of butterflies with the 55-200mm. Maybe my husband is just naturally out of focus.

Betsy
Nikon D7000, D60
Windows 7 Ultimate
Lightroom 5.3
Photoshop CC

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 04-Nov-09 10:04 AM
26546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: 18-55mm Kit Lens"
In response to Reply # 3

Richmond, US

> I am rather embarassed to post the photo because it is so bad.

Don't let that stop you! All of the knowledgable folks here have made LOTS of bad photos, especially - but definitely NOT limited to - the period when they were learning. I personally have tens of thousands of bad ones to go along with the good ones. Even Ansel Adams had a lot of mistakes.

There has been a lot of good advice on why f/22 may have resulted in a less-than-optimal result in the other posts.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Wed 04-Nov-09 05:16 AM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: 18-55mm Kit Lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

Hi Betsy,

Those kind of apertures (f/16-f/22) are used to maximize depth of field when shooting stationary objects from a tripod. That may have been assumed in what Peterson was writing, but it doesn't apply to your situation. Apertures this tiny don't let in much light, which means you need a slower shutter to get good exposure, which is why you then need a tripod. Any movement, either by the subject or the camera, will show as blur.

This kind of shot I'd recommend f/5.6-f/8 range, and focus directly on the most important thing (your husband). To minimize the effect of camera shake, make sure your shutter speed is at least 1/(1.5 x focal length) i.e. at 35mm, shoot no slower than 1/60", and if something's moving then you want it at least 1/250".

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

mikeac Registered since 19th Nov 2007Wed 04-Nov-09 12:00 PM
147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: 18-55mm Kit Lens"
In response to Reply # 4

Seaford, GB

Am I right in thinking f/22 might also be getting into the range where diffraction becomes an issue? I never go smaller than f/16 on my D50. As I understand it, diffraction-wise f/16 on DX is comparable to f/22 on FX/35mm.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Too many hobbies, too little time

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Wed 04-Nov-09 03:13 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: 18-55mm Kit Lens"
In response to Reply # 6

Livermore, CA, US

>Am I right in thinking f/22 might also be getting into the
>range where diffraction becomes an issue?

Mike, this is true, but I wouldn't think of f/22 as "don't ever go there." There may be artistic reasons to use that small an aperture, for example to intentionally create motion blur with a long shutter. You simply need to be aware that using f/22 to increase DOF will result in overall more softness.

Lab tests will show on a 6MP camera like D50 that f/16 is ok, sharpness starts to decline at f/19, and falls apart at f/22. On a 12MP camera, the limits are about a half stop less. However, in my personal experience, with the kind of detail I shoot in landscape photography, the problem of diffraction is really overblown and f/22 is quite usable such that I wouldn't hesitate to go there if needed (but wouldn't unless necessary). At f/25 things really fall apart though.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

mikeac Registered since 19th Nov 2007Wed 04-Nov-09 05:35 PM
147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: 18-55mm Kit Lens"
In response to Reply # 8

Seaford, GB

Thanks for that, Larry. I don't do a lot of landscape stuff now - more often snapping the 2-year-old who makes it difficult! I'll certainly bear your comments in mind in future though.

Cheers, Mike

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Too many hobbies, too little time

BeeKay60 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Mar 2009Wed 04-Nov-09 01:19 PM
#7. "RE: 18-55mm Kit Lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Roseville, US

Thanks to everyone. I checked the data and you all were right I had one at 1/25th and one at 1/15th shutterspeed. I now know I need a tripod to shoot at that aperture. I am learning little by little. I am going to look for a good photography class or club around here in the Twin Cities. Thanks again to everyone!

Betsy
Nikon D7000, D60
Windows 7 Ultimate
Lightroom 5.3
Photoshop CC

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 04-Nov-09 03:51 PM
25570 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: 18-55mm Kit Lens"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Hi Betsy,

If you set the Aperture at f/16 you would have gotten a shutter speed of 1/50th sec. and 1/30th sec. which at 18mm should have been fast enough to shoot handheld.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Feeshbate Registered since 10th Feb 2009Mon 23-Nov-09 03:53 PM
94 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: 18-55mm Kit Lens"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Hi Betsy,

Just use a larger aperture like f8 in these situations and all will be fine.

sunndance Registered since 17th Mar 2009Sat 28-Nov-09 04:25 AM
131 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: 18-55mm Kit Lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Texarkana, US

I have started doing the 'cereal box' test on all of my lens checking focus and sharpnes at all f-stops. What i have found is: most Nikkor's (including the 18-55mm) are at their sharpest between f7.1 to f16 (f11 usually being ideal). Going below or above that range can soften your images some. I had a bad experience using f22-f32 with digital sensors because of the defraction.

Low light is the right light for me...

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Sat 28-Nov-09 05:15 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: 18-55mm Kit Lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

I have several lenses that cover part or all of this range but the kit lens is the sharpest and has the least amount of distortion. It also works the best with the built-in flash. Why would I use a different lens then? I like the 18-200 range for traveling and with the VR I get more keepers at the long end of the range.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

gunfighter48 Registered since 01st Aug 2008Sat 28-Nov-09 05:24 PM
136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: 18-55mm Kit Lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, US

Hi Betsy,

If your lens has VR be sure to turn it on. VR works great on that lens and will help you get sharp pictures when using low shutter speeds.

gunfighter48
A steady hand works good for cameras and guns.

BeeKay60 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Mar 2009Sun 29-Nov-09 01:49 PM
#15. "RE: 18-55mm Kit Lens"
In response to Reply # 14

Roseville, US

This users group forum is wonderful. I have a subscription and I check it every day. Thanks for all your continuing help and comments.

Betsy
Nikon D7000, D60
Windows 7 Ultimate
Lightroom 5.3
Photoshop CC

Bluewaterhooker0 Registered since 31st Jan 2009Sun 06-Dec-09 10:11 PM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: 18-55mm Kit Lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Tampa, US

I also have the 18-55 kit lens, without VR. This is in my opinion, a really nice lens. Have taken many nice clear, contrasty, saturated shots with it. I think you may already have your answer, but here's my concise answer. You were making a photo that required a hefty amount of 'depth of feild'. Meaning, husband in close foreground, riverboat at 'infinity'. For that type of shot, stay on the wide angle end of your zoom range (18mm) as much as possible. This will provide the maximum DOF for the f/stop used. Try a higher ASA to boost your shutter speed. Also, pre-focus on the primary subject (husband ?) by pushing the shutter release down half-way while making sure the focus indicator is on your husband. Then re-compose the shot, without letting go of the shutter button, and release the shutter.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #41478 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.