Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #41395
View in linear mode

Subject: "Life Span of D60" Previous topic | Next topic
julythefourth Registered since 06th Oct 2009Sat 24-Oct-09 03:24 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Life Span of D60"

CA

Hi,
I just had my D60 back in July this year (so, around 4 months now). I checked and found out that it already had around 6500 shutter actuations. I bought it brand new from Bestbuy (or maybe not "brand new"). My question is, what is the maximum shutter actuations in the life of a D60 before it "dies".
What is the "ideal" number of shutter actuations to look for when getting a pre-owned DSLR so that you can expect it to last long enough?

Thank you.

Cheers!

Ganie
A Nikonian from Toronto, Canada
--------------------------------
"The shot that you didn't take, is the shot that you'll never make."

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Life Span of D60
MotoMannequin Moderator
24th Oct 2009
julythefourth
25th Oct 2009
gkaiseril Gold Member
25th Oct 2009
what1324
25th Oct 2009
hwdx347 Silver Member
27th Oct 2009
BeeKay60 Silver Member
04th Nov 2009
gkaiseril Gold Member
04th Nov 2009
MEMcD Moderator
04th Nov 2009
greenwing Gold Member
04th Nov 2009

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Sat 24-Oct-09 06:28 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Life Span of D60"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

I can't find a source right now but IIRC Nikon's consumer bodies have a shutter rating something like 60000 shots. That sounds bad, like you've already used 10% of your camera's life, but in reality this is a very conservative rating, and there are reports of people who have gone 5x the rated life of the shutter, so at your current shooting rate, you're probably good for somewhere in the 5-25 year range.

Odds are, if you continue to use your camera at that rate, you'll be getting the itch to upgrade it before you wear it out.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

julythefourth Registered since 06th Oct 2009Sun 25-Oct-09 01:46 AM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Life Span of D60"
In response to Reply # 1
Sun 25-Oct-09 01:47 AM by julythefourth

CA

>I can't find a source right now but IIRC Nikon's consumer
>bodies have a shutter rating something like 60000 shots. That
>sounds bad, like you've already used 10% of your camera's
>life, but in reality this is a very conservative rating, and
>there are reports of people who have gone 5x the rated life of
>the shutter, so at your current shooting rate, you're probably
>good for somewhere in the 5-25 year range.
>
>Odds are, if you continue to use your camera at that rate,
>you'll be getting the itch to upgrade it before you wear it
>out.
>
>Larry - a Bay Area
>Nikonian

>My
>Nikonians gallery>

>
www.tempered-light.com

Thanks Larry,
Well, my D60 really worked hard on me because I was trying to master the manual mode and I keep shooting until I get a keeper. Esp when I am doing macro shots. I hope my clicks will decrease in time. Maybe I was just too excited with it when I got it..hahaha..

Thanks also George for the link. Boy! I need to get better soon or my D60 will die on me soon!

Cheers!

Ganie
A Nikonian from Toronto, Canada
--------------------------------
"The shot that you didn't take, is the shot that you'll never make."

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 25-Oct-09 01:17 AM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Life Span of D60"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

The following links have some information:

For how many shutter releases has my new Nikon DSLR been tested?
Camera Shutter Life Expectancy Database

YMMV

George
My Nikonian Galleries

what1324 Registered since 02nd May 2009Sun 25-Oct-09 01:44 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Life Span of D60"
In response to Reply # 2

Edmonton, CA

Hey thanks for that info. I've always wondered but been too lazy to look.

Yeah I have to agree. If you take that many pictures you probably got an itch. I plan to upgrade as soon as I can afford a D90(wish I could get a D700) and pass the D60 on the the girlfriend. It surprised me how much I like to take pictures once I got the D60.

Cheers.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

hwdx347 Silver Member Charter MemberTue 27-Oct-09 12:15 PM
6240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Life Span of D60"
In response to Reply # 0

Maumelle, US

Do you mean you purchased it new from Best Buy and it had 6500 actuations on it? If so it was a used camera.

Hedley
Originally from Merthyr Tydfil, Wales -- now in Arkansas

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

BeeKay60 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Mar 2009Wed 04-Nov-09 01:14 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Life Span of D60"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 04-Nov-09 02:46 PM by BeeKay60

Roseville, US

OK, I did a little searching to find an answer and I understand now that Opanda can only read certain files, but that if I take one JPEG image that will give me a total count (including the NEFs). Asked and answered. Next time I'll search first

Can someone tell me if and what outside software I might need to read the total shutter actuations on my D60? I shoot in raw (nef) and downloaded Opanda iEXIF and it is only showing me the JPEGs. I have all the Nikon software (ViewNX and Capture NX2). Thanks.

Betsy
Nikon D7000, D60
Windows 7 Ultimate
Lightroom 5.3
Photoshop CC

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 04-Nov-09 03:06 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Life Span of D60"
In response to Reply # 6
Wed 04-Nov-09 04:46 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

I use ExifTool by Phil Harvey and ExifTool GUI for Windows for reading and simple updates. EXIFTool is available for Windows, Mac, and UNIX but it is a command line or terminal window program and you will need to manually install the product.

Also like with the Jpeg or Tiff images for use by Opanda, it is better to use an unedited image as some programs will strip the MakerNote section, were the shutter count/actuations is located, from a saved image as many editors do not use this data.

If you shoot both RAW + Jpeg the shutter actuations count is incremented by one because there was only one shutter actuation and the Jpeg was created from the RAW sensor readings and camera settings and the NEF recorded the RAW sensor readings and the camera settings from the camera's internal memory buffer.

An MLU, Mirror Lock Up, for cleaning counts as a shutter actuation.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 04-Nov-09 04:04 PM
25711 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Life Span of D60"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Hi Betsy,

A shutter actuation or click is a shutter click regardless of the type of image file written to the memory card.
True Opanda IExif 2.3 will only read jpeg files. When you want to check shutter actuations just set the camera to capture: Raw + jpeg then reset it back to Raw. Open the jpeg with Opanda and check the actuations. I have never tried to check a jpeg image converted from Raw (NEF) using Nikon NX or NX2 though Opanda IExif 2.3 should be able to read the file.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Wed 04-Nov-09 07:25 PM
1299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Life Span of D60"
In response to Reply # 6

Yorkshire, GB

PhotoME is a free EXIF viewer that works very well with NEF files.

Chris

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #41395 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.