Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #4109
View in linear mode

Subject: "Yay! D50 arrived Monday!" Previous topic | Next topic
Snakeking194 Registered since 12th Feb 2006Fri 24-Feb-06 03:27 PM
56 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Yay! D50 arrived Monday!"

Peoria, US

My mom has been in the hospital for the past week so I haven't had time to post anything, but here are links to 3 pictures that I took near/at the hospital during the past week. Critique/general comments welcome!

http://www.redtailboas.com/gallery/data/500/medium/02-22-06_112-r.jpg

http://www.redtailboas.com/gallery/data/500/medium/02-20-06_038-cr.jpg

http://www.redtailboas.com/gallery/data/500/medium/02-20-06_042-cr.jpg

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Yay! D50 arrived Monday!
phillyguy
24th Feb 2006
soupdragon
24th Feb 2006
James23p Moderator
24th Feb 2006
Snakeking194
25th Feb 2006
avm247 Moderator
27th Feb 2006
Snakeking194
25th Feb 2006
James23p Moderator
25th Feb 2006
Snakeking194
25th Feb 2006
Astropunk
16th Mar 2006

phillyguy Registered since 03rd Nov 2005Fri 24-Feb-06 05:56 PM
221 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Yay! D50 arrived Monday!"
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

Those are some nice shots; you did a good job capturing some golden light. I think I remember what that's like, but it's so cold and grey here...

If I could offer a comment or two, you can take it for what it's worth (not much.) In the first pic, is there any way to get past those tree branches? I think it's a great shot but the branches, to me, are a bit distracting. For the third pic, I like it but something seems missing. Maybe a really nice blue sky or something, maybe someone else will have a good idea but it just seems to be missing that little extra. Sorry I can't elaborate, it's just a gut feel. The second pic, no comments, I think it's great.

Thanks for posting and keep them coming.

Oh, any shotting data? Tripod or hand held?

Jason
Philadelphia Nikonian

soupdragon Basic MemberFri 24-Feb-06 07:19 PM
754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Yay! D50 arrived Monday!"
In response to Reply # 1

I like the first one best, it almost looks un-real.

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Fri 24-Feb-06 07:24 PM
9476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Yay! D50 arrived Monday!"
In response to Reply # 1

Memphis, US

First hope your Mom is okay. Second congratulations on your D50!! Take it from a film guy I love my D50.

As far as the pic's go they are very nice.

I agree with the previous poster on the 3rd one, the sky is kinda blaa but sometimes you can't help that unless you start to use filters or someone who is really good at post processing. The other thing what F stop did you use on the third one. Its also a little soft, I would have shot that on a tripod around f8 to around f11. Just a thought.

I don't find the branches to distracting; Plus I love the color and the way you used the steeple to draw your eye to the left and then the golden light works to the right.

Again welcome and congrats on the D50. Kind Regards Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

Snakeking194 Registered since 12th Feb 2006Sat 25-Feb-06 02:19 AM
56 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Yay! D50 arrived Monday!"
In response to Reply # 3

Peoria, US

Sadly, my mom passed away on the 23rd. She had Ovarian cancer in stage 4 before they caught it. They gave her 12-72 hours to live on the 21st, which also happened to be my birthday.

Anywho, exif data is posted here:

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID201/15518.html#4

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberMon 27-Feb-06 04:35 PM
18361 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Yay! D50 arrived Monday!"
In response to Reply # 5

Rancho Cordova, US

Matt, my condolences to you and your family on the loss of your mother. I hope that the images you have and the memories you share bring you comfort.

Respectfully,

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery

www.nikonians.org - Worldwide Home for Nikon Photographers
Visit us at PMA (www.pmai.org) Orlando, February 26th through March 1st 2006, booth 1759

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Snakeking194 Registered since 12th Feb 2006Sat 25-Feb-06 02:17 AM
#4. "RE: Yay! D50 arrived Monday!"
In response to Reply # 1

Peoria, US

Its cold and grey here, but its been nice the past couple weeks. Here's the EXIF data. I know in the 2nd and 3rd, I didn't pay attention to the ISO and thats why that is so high, so I could get a slower shutter speed. Oh well, I just gotta get used to it I guess heh.

1)
1/125
F/10
ISO 200
No tripod, handheld and cropped

2)
1/500
F/7.1
ISO 1600
No tripod, handheld and cropped

3)
1/320
F/7.1
ISO 1600
No tripod, handheld and cropped.

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Sat 25-Feb-06 02:23 AM
9476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Yay! D50 arrived Monday!"
In response to Reply # 4

Memphis, US

Ah that explains a little loss of detail and a little more noise. I have Auto ISO off in all modes so I can choose my ISO. In the last two you would have been better off at 400 or 800 ISO the shutter speed would have been slower but not by much. #2 might have been around 250 to 300 and #3 around 150 to 250.

The D50 likes to bump up the ISO to show off how its the best DSLR at high ISO's(just a little humor but the camera does bump it up) but as good as it is lower ISO's still give better pictures just like lower ISO film's are finer and sharper.

Tis the time of year to be grey and we do what we can. Well hope this is helpful and keep taking pictuers the D50 is fun but alas tomorrow I am going to shoot some Kodachrome slides in my MF FM3a. Jim

Edited I just read your Mom's passing I am very sorry. I am a Lab Tech and a Paramedic and I see this all the time and I never get used to it. I will remember you and your mother at church sunday.

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

Snakeking194 Registered since 12th Feb 2006Sat 25-Feb-06 02:34 AM
#7. "RE: Yay! D50 arrived Monday!"
In response to Reply # 6

Peoria, US

Thanks Jim Means alot to the family, we've had so much support from family & friends, but alot of it online too. Just goes to show that not all people that you meet online are bad, horrible people

Astropunk Registered since 13th Mar 2006Thu 16-Mar-06 08:51 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Yay! D50 arrived Monday!"
In response to Reply # 0

Peoria, US

Apologies for dredging up the old post (and my regrets for your mother's passing)

Those are awesome pictures. Its not often I come across pictures of places that I recognize! This is Methodist hospital, (and St Mary's Cathedral) in Peoria, correct? Are you from the area?

I got a D50 2 weeks ago, and have been struggling to lean it. I will admit, I dont know much about photography, but it is sure fun to play with. It works superbly in the automatic modes, which is what I use when I want a keeper. I am slowly learning...I finaly have a handle on the "S" mode (shutter prty). Still confused a bit by "A" mode (aperture prty). I will say this is going to be a fun hobby

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #4109 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.