Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #405
View in linear mode

Subject: "Complaint: ISO step to big~" Previous topic | Next topic
MINGZNIKONIAN Registered since 28th Oct 2005Sat 12-Nov-05 11:03 PM
437 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Complaint: ISO step to big~"

Regina, CA

Is frustrating at times, when you are only allow ISO 800 and 1600, nothing in between~ I was out taking some indoor picture with my friend and his D70, made me think about sell my D50 in ebay~

My wish list from Nikon is, update our firmware! better ISO step! for the love of God!!

MINGZCAN

http://www.pbase.com/mingzcan

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Complaint: ISO step to big~
James23p Moderator
12th Nov 2005
Drewhound
13th Nov 2005
dwig
13th Nov 2005
Shred
13th Nov 2005
Aleks
14th Nov 2005
Covey22 Moderator
14th Nov 2005

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Sat 12-Nov-05 11:25 PM
9122 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Complaint: ISO step to big~"
In response to Reply # 0

Memphis, US

I think Nikon was following the traditional film speed with the D50. I know you can push or pull film but then you have to use the whole roll that way but for the most part we used 800 or 1600 there was no in between that was readily available. Plus if the D50 had the same specs why would you buy a D70s for 200 hundred more. Friends of mine who have the D70s would rather the ISO steps not be 1/3 because it makes manual ISO changes a pain by stepping up by thirds.

Also the D50's software and ISO settings are optimized to reduce noise at high ISO's ie 800 and 1600 which according to several reviewers and Nikon is lower than the D70s this may be some of the reason for the bigger steps but I think its marketing to keep a demarkation between the D50 and D70s.

But if the ISO steps are to big and really bother you then a D70s is a good choice and the learning curve will be short. Good luck but if you sell try here at nikonians first if you upgrade to silver I am sure there would be several film buyers that are Digital cutious but do not want to drop a boat load of cash on a digital body.

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

Drewhound Registered since 01st Mar 2007Sun 13-Nov-05 02:08 AM
121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Complaint: ISO step to big~"
In response to Reply # 1

If you use auto ISO it chooses steps in between which seems a reasonable compromise. As 800 to 1600 is still only one stop I can't see it being a problem for me but we all have different needs.

dwig Registered since 30th May 2004Sun 13-Nov-05 02:07 AM
2215 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Complaint: ISO step to big~"
In response to Reply # 0

Key West, US

ISO increments on digital cameras are almost always one stop increments; 50, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, ... . Smaller increments, while possible, would be finer adjustments than necessary.

BTW, one stop increments in ISO and shutter speeds are double or half of the previous value so the increment between 800 and 1600 is the same as the increment between 100 and 200. Its a geometric progression and not a linear scale. With f/stops you multiply or divide by the square root of 2 (~1.414) to get one stop increments.

-----
dwig
nikonian in paradise
-----
use: cp8400, cp990, cp950
retired: F,ELW, 21mm, 45 f/2.8 GN
used to own: S2, SP, F2, F3, 20mm f/3.5, 35mm f/1.4, 35mm f/2.8, 43-86 f/3.5, 50mm f/2, 50 f/1.4 (for S2/SP), 55mm f/3.5 Micro, 105mm f/2.5, 105mm f/4 Micro, 300mm f/4.5, 180mm f/4.5 (for 4x5)

Shred Registered since 28th Oct 2005Sun 13-Nov-05 07:39 PM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Complaint: ISO step to big~"
In response to Reply # 2

FI

For that kind of situations i'd recommend "auto iso" too, just set the shutter speed you want
and camera selects iso value automatically and wihout the 1 step limitation.

Aleks Registered since 29th Oct 2005Mon 14-Nov-05 02:53 AM
132 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Complaint: ISO step to big~"
In response to Reply # 4

Calgary, CA

I would be all for the 1/3 step increments being an option too, ie: with the option to be full stop, 1/2 or 1/3....

D80 | MB-D80 Grip | Nikkor 50mm f1.8D | Nikkor 85mm f1.8D | Nikkor 18-70mm f 3.5/4.6G ED | Nikkor 70-300mm f 4/5.6G ED | Tamron 90mm f 2.8 Macro | Nikon SB-600

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 14-Nov-05 03:29 AM
10410 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Complaint: ISO step to big~"
In response to Reply # 0

US

All reviews to date find that the camera is pushing the limits of the higher ISOs and it has even better high ISO performance than the D70, so that should be some comfort. If you need more detailed control, it's really time to consider moving up to the D70 or the D200.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #405 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.