nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #39982
View in linear mode

Subject: "Help D40 Tech Issue" Previous topic | Next topic
Opaqueuphony Registered since 30th Jul 2008Sun 05-Jul-09 12:52 AM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Help D40 Tech Issue"

Sacramento, US

Ok, so of course i am 1 month past the warranty through Nikon and now im running into my first technical problem...

When i take a picture all i get is a black picture...

I have changed all the settings and i know the shutter speed is at a good speed, Its not the lens because i have switched between lenses and it still happens.

Its not the memory card i dont think because i re-formatted the memory card and it saves the picture on the memory card the picture is just black.

Any ideas of what it could be?

Jayce P

"I Think, Therefore I Am"-- Descartes.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Help D40 Tech Issue
MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography
05th Jul 2009
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
05th Jul 2009
Opaqueuphony
05th Jul 2009
greenwing Gold Member
05th Jul 2009
Opaqueuphony
06th Jul 2009
greenwing Gold Member
06th Jul 2009
Opaqueuphony
08th Jul 2009
Goodie
08th Jul 2009
Opaqueuphony
08th Jul 2009
Goodie
08th Jul 2009

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Sun 05-Jul-09 01:01 AM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Help D40 Tech Issue"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

Did you remember to remove the lens cap? (sorry couldn't resist)

It's difficult to guess at what the problem might be. An example photo, as featureless as it may be, would allow us to examine the exif for anything fishy. I'm afraid... this doesn't sound good for your camera's sake.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 05-Jul-09 02:57 AM
27228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Help D40 Tech Issue"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Jayce,

Sorry to hear of your problem.
A few things come to mind:
Could you have inadvertantly dialed in some exposure copmensation?
What metering mode are you using: Matrix, Center weighted, or Spot?
Which exposure mode are you using: P,S,A,M,Auto, or one of the flexible pictogram modes?
What is the exposure meter in your viewfinder indicating?
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Opaqueuphony Registered since 30th Jul 2008Sun 05-Jul-09 03:01 PM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Help D40 Tech Issue"
In response to Reply # 2

Sacramento, US

thanks for the ideas guys but sadly i have checked all of the settings that you guys listed and i still cant get the camera to work.

There is only one last idea that i think it might be (i doubt it but im being hopeful) Im wondering if it could be some sort of software issue because when i take the picture the physical pieces make all the same sounds. If it is how do i fix that?

Im assuming if its not the software then its probably the sensor which means bye bye camera

Jayce P

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Sun 05-Jul-09 05:03 PM
1304 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Help D40 Tech Issue"
In response to Reply # 3

Yorkshire, UK

Jayce, please upload one of your black pictures. It's probably best to upload the camera image straight into your Nikonians gallery. The gallery software will resize it to 1800 pixels, but hopefully most of the EXIF data will be preserved and we'll be able to look at that & possibly confirm that there's a fault. Or, hopefully, tell you what you can do to fix it. Without the camera data from a picture, we're all scrabbling in the dark (excuse the pun) for what your problem might be.

Chris

Opaqueuphony Registered since 30th Jul 2008Mon 06-Jul-09 12:28 AM
#5. "RE: Help D40 Tech Issue"
In response to Reply # 4
Mon 06-Jul-09 12:29 AM by Opaqueuphony

Sacramento, US

The picture in my gallery:

For some reason the link isnt working... just check my gallery and its in the tech problem album... the only one in there...

Jayce P

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Mon 06-Jul-09 03:46 PM
1304 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Help D40 Tech Issue"
In response to Reply # 5

Yorkshire, UK

Here\'s the big black picture.

Jayce, it doesn't look good does it? The basic exposure looks good enough - 1/13, F4.2, ISO 200. No exposure compensation.

You've changed lenses, so we can't blame the lens, though it's unlikely that you'd get such a solid black image from a lens that's just stopping down too much.

Do you have a way to look at a RAW file if you were to shoot one? Most thumbnail views will show you a small jpeg that's embedded in a RAW file, which will likely be black. I'd like to know if the RAW image is present and something screwy is going on with jpeg conversion. Presumably the images look black on the camera screen?

Try doing a mirror lock-up as if to clean your sensor. Can you see the sensor? This shows that the shutter opens.

I hope someone else has some better ideas.

Chris

Opaqueuphony Registered since 30th Jul 2008Wed 08-Jul-09 02:27 AM
#7. "RE: Help D40 Tech Issue"
In response to Reply # 0

Sacramento, US

Ok, so this is the first time that i have actually looked in through the camera with no lens on and the mirror up and i found out what i think might be wrong with the camera and i hope you guys have an easy way to fix it or hopefully its cheap to fix it.

Please excuse the really bad lingo... i dont know the part names and such

So i set the camera to bulb mode and i took off the lens and pushed the button. I noticed that the mirror goes up no problem but the black part behind it that covers the sensor never goes up. I noticed that if i take something soft and just barely move that little black door type thing and let some light hit the sensor the camera actually shows white on the picture taken.

So good news is the sensor works, but i dont know how to fix that little black door thingy, whatever its called...

Anybody have an idea how much that would cost or if their is an easy way to fix it?

Jayce P

Goodie Registered since 10th Jul 2008Wed 08-Jul-09 10:13 AM
677 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Help D40 Tech Issue"
In response to Reply # 7

Bristol, UK

Jayce,

I just tried what you did on my D40 and when I press the shutter release I can see the sensor. The "black part" behind the mirror is the shutter and it looks like yours is faulty

There is another setting you might want to try just to be ansolutely certain it's the shutter at fault. In the main menu select the setup menu and scroll to the item called "Mirror lock-up". Press OK on the multi-selector twice and you will see a short message on the screen. When you press the shutter release button now the mirror will go up and the shutter should open - giving you a view of the sensor - and stay oprn until you switch the camera off.

HTH

--------
Regards
Steve G

My Nikonians gallery

Opaqueuphony Registered since 30th Jul 2008Wed 08-Jul-09 02:26 PM
#9. "RE: Help D40 Tech Issue"
In response to Reply # 8

Sacramento, US

yeah i have done that... My sister-in-law also has a D40 and so what i have been doing is comparing the 2 cameras when i do that and that is how i realized that was wrong. What i have noticed is that the shutter doesnt close all the way like something is in the way and since it doesnt shut it wont open either and i was wondering if there is an easy way to access the shutter without taking the camera apart to much and seeing if there is some sort of debris is in there or if there is a way to fix it. Im to scared to just start taking it apart so i thought i would ask before i try it...

Hopefully you guys got a good answer because i think i might have to go without a camera for a while if i cant fix it myself

Jayce P

Goodie Registered since 10th Jul 2008Wed 08-Jul-09 08:38 PM
677 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Help D40 Tech Issue"
In response to Reply # 9

Bristol, UK

Personally I wouldn't even contemplate trying to repair the shutter mechanism ... but you may feel happier than I do messing with small, delicate mechanical parts.

--------
Regards
Steve G

My Nikonians gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #39982 Previous topic | Next topic