Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #39511
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lens Built in Motor?" Previous topic | Next topic
jsonx_9000 Registered since 30th May 2009Thu 04-Jun-09 01:22 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Lens Built in Motor?"

US

Hello Nikonians, I'm new to SLR photography and new to this site. And so far I learned something. Just one question about SIGMA Lens. I bought a 70-300mm and its says on the description it has BUILT-IN MOTOR. What does it means? Is that AUTOFOCUS?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Lens Built in Motor?
aolander Silver Member
04th Jun 2009
jsonx_9000
04th Jun 2009
mtpenmaker
04th Jun 2009
jsonx_9000
04th Jun 2009
aolander Silver Member
04th Jun 2009
jsonx_9000
04th Jun 2009
MEMcD Moderator
04th Jun 2009
Goodie
04th Jun 2009
aolander Silver Member
04th Jun 2009
rikewoo
04th Jun 2009
rikewoo
05th Jun 2009
Goodie
05th Jun 2009
rikewoo
06th Jun 2009
gkaiseril Gold Member
04th Jun 2009
MotoMannequin Moderator
04th Jun 2009
jsonx_9000
05th Jun 2009
MotoMannequin Moderator
05th Jun 2009
jsonx_9000
05th Jun 2009
aolander Silver Member
05th Jun 2009
MotoMannequin Moderator
05th Jun 2009
briantilley Moderator
05th Jun 2009
jsonx_9000
06th Jun 2009
briantilley Moderator
06th Jun 2009
Goodie
06th Jun 2009

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Thu 04-Jun-09 01:38 AM
3279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Lens Built in Motor?"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

Most recent lenses, e.g. AF-S lenses, have "built-in motors" which do the auto-focusing. Auto-focus lenses that have no "BIM" rely on the camera's focusing motor. Some cameras, such as the D40, D40x, D60, and D5000, do not have motors, so they require lenses that do in order to auto-focus.

jsonx_9000 Registered since 30th May 2009Thu 04-Jun-09 01:55 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Lens Built in Motor?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thank you for the reply Sir. I ordered this Lens http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-70-300mm-Nikon-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0012X43P2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top .. It says it has built in motor but when I received it. There's no switch (AF or MF) maybe they sent me the wrong kind? I already sent them an email.

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Thu 04-Jun-09 01:59 AM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Lens Built in Motor?"
In response to Reply # 2

Billings, US

Does the instruction manual state that there's a switch? My Sigma 180mm f/3.5 macro lens doesn't have a switch on it.

Gerry Rhoades
www.montanapens.com
My Nikonians Gallery

jsonx_9000 Registered since 30th May 2009Thu 04-Jun-09 02:11 AM
#5. "RE: Lens Built in Motor?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Yeah, on the manual it shows that it has a switch. Aolander said that if it it has BUILT IN MOTOR it means it suppose to have AUTOFOCUS. Well thank you guys. I'm just gonna talk to the seller. Thank you so much.

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Thu 04-Jun-09 02:10 AM
3279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Lens Built in Motor?"
In response to Reply # 2

Nevis, US

There is no M/A and M switch on the Sigma lenses. You can use the auto-focus or just turn the focus ring manually for manual focus without any switching. There is no M (manual) only focusing on the Sigmas.

jsonx_9000 Registered since 30th May 2009Thu 04-Jun-09 02:18 AM
#6. "RE: Lens Built in Motor?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>There is no M/A and M switch on the Sigma lenses. You can
>use the auto-focus or just turn the focus ring manually for
>manual focus without any switching.

I'm sorry man, I didn't really get it. hehe. You mean all sigma lens has autofocus? Is that what you mean if you say (There is no M (manual)
>only focusing on the Sigmas. )?

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 04-Jun-09 07:08 AM
26192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Lens Built in Motor?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Hi Jayson,

Alan, is saying there is no AF/M switch on Sigma lenses! The lenses are Autofocus and the AF can be over-ridden manually by rotating the focus ring.
If you mount the lens on your D40/D40X/D60/D5000 if it has a built in motor it should Autofocus on your camera.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Goodie Registered since 10th Jul 2008Thu 04-Jun-09 11:31 AM
677 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Lens Built in Motor?"
In response to Reply # 4

Bristol, GB

>There is no M/A and M switch on the Sigma lenses. You can
>use the auto-focus or just turn the focus ring manually for
>manual focus without any switching. There is no M (manual)
>only focusing on the Sigmas.

I have a Sigma 70-300mm lens with BIM and it certainly DOES have an AF/M switch. Indeed you can just make it out in the picture in the OPs link to Amazon. If you hold the lens as it's shown in the picture then the switch is on the left just above the lens mount and below the focus ring. Zoom in on the Amazon picture and you can see it quite clearly.

With my lens you can't turn the fine focus adjustment ring unless the switch is in "M"

--------
Regards
Steve G

My Nikonians gallery

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Thu 04-Jun-09 12:34 PM
#9. "RE: Lens Built in Motor?"
In response to Reply # 8
Thu 04-Jun-09 12:36 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

I have only had a few Sigma lenses, and they have not had M/A switches. I figured there would be some that did once I said they didn't.

rikewoo Registered since 23rd Nov 2007Thu 04-Jun-09 04:26 PM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Lens Built in Motor?"
In response to Reply # 9

GB

The only switch on my Sigma 70-300 is for the Macro which you can only use after 200mm. This gives 1:2 macro. It is marked Normal: Macro.

Ken

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

rikewoo Registered since 23rd Nov 2007Fri 05-Jun-09 01:54 PM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Lens Built in Motor?"
In response to Reply # 8

GB

If you zoom in very close on the Amazon photo it says quite clearly Normal:Macro.

There is no Manual focus switch on this lens. I have one myself and have used it for manual focussing by turning the focus ring as has been already said.

Ken

Goodie Registered since 10th Jul 2008Fri 05-Jun-09 02:37 PM
677 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Lens Built in Motor?"
In response to Reply # 18

Bristol, GB

>If you zoom in very close on the Amazon photo it says quite
>clearly Normal:Macro.
>
>There is no Manual focus switch on this lens. I have one
>myself and have used it for manual focussing by turning the
>focus ring as has been already said.
>
>Ken
>
>

Ken, you're looking in the wrong place. Zoom into the bottom left of the picture. There is a white dot and to the left of that - right on the very extreme edge you can see the AF/M switch. Indeed you can just about see the markings engraved on the lens body. The Normal:Macro switch is much higher up the body.

I'm not arguing that all Sigma 70-300mm lenses have this switch just that this one does and if that's what the OP bought then that is what he should expect to receive.

--------
Regards
Steve G

My Nikonians gallery

rikewoo Registered since 23rd Nov 2007Sat 06-Jun-09 11:24 AM
#23. "RE: Lens Built in Motor?"
In response to Reply # 19

GB

My apologies Goodie, you are correct, I had not gone down to the bottom of the pic.

Ken

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 04-Jun-09 05:01 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Lens Built in Motor?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 04-Jun-09 05:15 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

What camera are you using?

What is the full name of the Sigma lens?

Sigma has a number of 70-300mm lenses. Some have a buitlin motor while others do not.

If the camera auto focuses you have a builtin motor.

With the D60 you can switch to the Manual Focus mode through the "Quick Settings Display (p 48), D50 through the camera body's 'A-M' selector (p 35), and for the D40(x) using the "info" button (p 23). This method can be used when there is no switch on the lens.

It appears this lens has a Macro switch.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Thu 04-Jun-09 08:47 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#12. "RE: Lens Built in Motor?"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

Jayson,

An AF lens with "built-in motor" is required for AF to work on D40, D40x, D60, or D5000. If you have one of these cameras, and this lens doesn't AF, and the seller specified a BIM, then he didn't deliver what was promised.

Before we get into too much confusion here with "my lens..." type of posts, let's remember that Sigma has made at least 4 different versions of the 70-300 Macro, has at least 3 different AF technologies in their various lenses, and makes lenses for at least 6 different mounts (Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Sony, Pentax, Sigma, etc.)

Regarding seeing a picture of the lens with a switch, that generally doesn't mean anything, because the picture shown is not necessarily of the Nikon-mount version lens. Sigma's "HSM" autofocus technology doesn't require an AF switch on the lens for the Nikon mount, but it does for the Canon mount. This has caused a lot of confusion from pictures of other Sigma lenses. We've even had cases in the forum where people insist that their lens has a switch pictured, then check later to find it really doesn't. However, I'm not saying that the Nikon version of this lens doesn't have a switch! I'm just saying you can't tell by looking at a picture. There is no version of this lens uses HSM tech so the lens may very well require switch for Nikon mount. Here I'd trust Steve's witnessing that his Nikon mount BIM lens has a switch. Yours should too.

Regarding the meaning of "BIM", "HSM", "AF", "AF-D", "AF-S" etc. First a little history: Nikon's original AF tech had a motor in the camera body, which turned a little "screwdriver" in the lens mount, which coupled mechanically to the lens AF system. This type of tech is called "AF", "AF-D", "screwdriver", and it always requires a switch somewhere to disconnect the mechanical coupling to use manual focus. All compatible camera bodies have a switch for MF, and some lenses do as well. Nikon then introduced a faster technology called "AF-S" where a very powerful and fast motor is included in the lens, and electrical contacts on the lens allow the body to control the AF motor. These lenses allow manual focus by simply turning the focus ring, so no switch is required on these lenses. Sigma's "HSM" is equivalent to "AF-S" technology. Next, Nikon introduced some low-end lenses, with much smaller, slower, less powerful micro motors, and these all have a switch on the lens to disengage the motor. Nikon also labels these "AF-S" and this class includes all the 18-55 & 55-200 variants. Next, Nikon introduced a line of bodies that no longer have the motor in the body, including D40/D40x/D60/D5000. Any of these require a lens with motor to work, which is to say, any Nikon AF-S lens. The existence of these bodies required Sigma and others to add small, inexpensive motors to their low-end lenses. Sigma, however, didn't want to water down the "HSM" label by applying it to a lesser tech, so they re-introduced existing AF/AF-D lenses with the "BIM" to indicate D40 compatibility.

So, people with the old AF-D lens may say there's no AF switch, but that's not the lens you were sold. People with Sigma HSM lenses may say no switch is required, but that may not apply to your lens either. The older AF-D lens is worth considerably less in the market than the newer BIM one, so be firm with the seller in getting the product you were promised, even if you have an AF-D compatible body.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

jsonx_9000 Registered since 30th May 2009Fri 05-Jun-09 12:56 AM
#13. "RE: Lens Built in Motor?"
In response to Reply # 12

US

I emailed the seller but he said its the right lens. And to turn on/off the AUTOFOCUS is usually on the camera body. But when I use the lens the AF/M option is locked. I mean I turns color gray and you can't select it. Well anyway. Thank you so much. I'll just deal with this lens. Its not that expensive so I'm just gonna keep it.

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Fri 05-Jun-09 01:53 AM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#14. "RE: Lens Built in Motor?"
In response to Reply # 13

Livermore, CA, US

If the seller listed "built-in motor" then he's lying to you and you have every right to demand your money back. What you do with that, I guess, is up to you...

My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

jsonx_9000 Registered since 30th May 2009Fri 05-Jun-09 03:52 AM
#15. "RE: Lens Built in Motor?"
In response to Reply # 14

US

I emailed him again. I ask him how do I turn on or use the autofocus if there's any. I will return it if he can't tell me. Thank you guys

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Fri 05-Jun-09 11:34 AM
#16. "RE: Lens Built in Motor?"
In response to Reply # 15
Fri 05-Jun-09 11:35 AM by aolander

Nevis, US

I'm not sure I understand completely what the problem is. Does the camera/lens not auto-focus? Can you not focus the lens manually? Which camera do you have?

If it is a BIM lens, then it should auto-focus, but you should be able to also manually focus it by just turning the focusing ring (no switching on lens or camera). Sigma lenses with built-in motor are designated HSM. If I remember correctly, there are some Sigma lenses that, depending on the camera make they are made for (Nikon, Canon, etc.), may or may not have a switch to go from AF to manual.

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Fri 05-Jun-09 05:23 PM
#20. "RE: Lens Built in Motor?"
In response to Reply # 16

Livermore, CA, US

>Sigma lenses with built-in motor are designated HSM.

Not true. Sigma only applies "HSM" to lenses that actually have the "hypersonic" motor. The cheap micromotors that go into low-end lenses they lable "built-in motor".

Kudos to Sigma for not watering down the HSM marque by applying it to lesser tech, as Nikon has done with AF-S, but it does cause a bit more confusion when trying to explain what lens is safe to buy.

My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 05-Jun-09 11:59 AM
29085 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Lens Built in Motor?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 05-Jun-09 12:04 PM by briantilley

Paignton, GB

We have some confusion in this thread; let's see if we can get back to basics and sort things out for you

First (as already suggested), please tell us which camera you have. The answer makes a difference to what the problem might be.

Second, there is one easy and infallible way to tell if your new lens has a built-in AF motor or not. Look at the mounting end of the lens (the part that fits onto the camera) and compare it with this image:

That's not your exact lens in the picture, so it might look a little different, but don't worry about that. The thing in the red circle is the important bit - this is the mechanical autofocus coupling. If you see this little connector on your lens, then it DOES NOT have a built-in AF motor. If you don't see the little connector, your lens DOES have a built-in AF motor.

Other things...

If your camera is a D40, D40X, D60 or D5000, you will only get autofocus with lenses that have a built-in AF motor. All other current Nikon cameras will autofocus whether the lens has a built-in AF motor or not.

If you have the right lens for your camera, and it has an AF/MF (or AF/M) switch (some Sigma lenses do, some don't), then you'll need to set it to AF to get autofocus.

Whether the lens has an AF/MF switch or not, you'll need to make sure your camera is set to AF rather than MF to get autofocus. Exactly how you do this will depend on which camera you have.

If everything is OK, the camera/lens should autofocus when you half-press the shutter release button.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

jsonx_9000 Registered since 30th May 2009Sat 06-Jun-09 01:05 AM
#21. "RE: Lens Built in Motor?"
In response to Reply # 17

US

I'm using Nikon D60. And it has that screw thingy on the red circle. Like on Driantilley's image above

Here's the image.
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/jsonx_9000/DSC_0086.jpg

And It only has 2 switch:
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/jsonx_9000/switch.jpg

Here's the Box:
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/jsonx_9000/box.jpg

For Aolander's question. Yes I can Use manual Focus. And I emailed the seller with a LINK of this Thread. And he agree to just replace it. Because he really insist that he sent me the right lens. Thanks A lot people. You guys are knowledgeable. Looking forward to be a member of this site.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 06-Jun-09 09:01 AM
29085 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Lens Built in Motor?"
In response to Reply # 21

Paignton, GB

Thanks for the additional information, Jayson.

The shot of the rear of your lens confirms that it is the older version WITHOUT a built-in AF motor. It will not autofocus on your D60 under any circumstances.

It's good that the seller has agreed to replace the lens; I'm glad we were able to help

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Goodie Registered since 10th Jul 2008Sat 06-Jun-09 05:47 PM
#24. "RE: Lens Built in Motor?"
In response to Reply # 21

Bristol, GB

>And I
>emailed the seller with a LINK of this Thread. And he agree to
>just replace it. Because he really insist that he sent me the
>right lens. Thanks A lot people. You guys are knowledgeable.
>Looking forward to be a member of this site.

Great stuff, Jason. That's what I call a result

--------
Regards
Steve G

My Nikonians gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #39511 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.