Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #39028
View in linear mode

Subject: "To d60 or not" Previous topic | Next topic
zinniadad Registered since 29th Apr 2009Tue 05-May-09 04:53 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"To d60 or not"

Monroe, US

I currently have a d50.
I have an opportunity to get a d60 at a really good price.
If I got it, I would most likely sell my d50.

My question is..
Is a d60 worth buying, or should I stick with my d50?

Thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: To d60 or not
MEMcD Moderator
05th May 2009
zinniadad
05th May 2009
Floridian Silver Member
05th May 2009
Surreal612 Silver Member
06th May 2009
zinniadad
06th May 2009
MotoMannequin Moderator
06th May 2009
sunndance
06th May 2009

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 05-May-09 07:13 PM
25717 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: To d60 or not"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Nathan,

It depends on the type of lenses that you have or plan on getting in the near future.
The D60 will not provide AF operation on non AF-S Nikkors or other brands with out a focusing motor built into the lens. Your D50 will.
The D60 is a little smaller and lighter than the D50 and has a few more MP.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

zinniadad Registered since 29th Apr 2009Tue 05-May-09 07:26 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: To d60 or not"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue 05-May-09 07:54 PM by zinniadad

Monroe, US

The lack of AF motor in the camera isn't really a factor, since I don't have any lenses without a motor, and won't be getting any.

The smaller/lighter size and larger MP are what interest me the most.

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Tue 05-May-09 09:12 PM
2716 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: To d60 or not"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

As far as the megapixels are concerned, I don't think there's a big advantage for most uses. I have a 6mp D50 and a 12mp D300, and have printed as large as 20"x30" with both. It's not obvious, looking at the prints, which ones were made by which camera. The D60 will allow you to crop more, and I won't say there's no advantage to the additional megapixels; just that for most purposes I don't think the difference would be visible. Do you notice a lack of sharpness or detail in your D50 photos? I don't.

As for smaller and lighter, I do see that as an advantage. Often I'll carry my D50 with me instead of my D300 because it's smaller and lighter (and in most situations, the results look the same). A D60 would take that advantage one step further.

If I were in your situation, I'd just stick with the D50, but you might weigh the advantages of the D60 differently, and I wouldn't argue with you.

Randy

Surreal612 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Nov 2007Wed 06-May-09 04:52 PM
367 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: To d60 or not"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Keep the D50 and get the Tamron 17-50 or Sigma 10-20 instead. Unless D60 is selling for $200 or less (With low actuations).

Dave

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

zinniadad Registered since 29th Apr 2009Wed 06-May-09 05:07 PM
#5. "RE: To d60 or not"
In response to Reply # 4

Monroe, US

I ended up getting it.
it was $299 brand new, body only.
I most likely won't get rid of my d50 anytime soon.

But I do need another lens now!

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Wed 06-May-09 06:38 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: To d60 or not"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

D60 as a 2nd body isn't a bad deal, but I wouldn't use it to replace a D50. You do get smaller and lighter with D60, and a better rear display, but you lose AF & AF-D compatibility, and auto exposure bracketing, which are things I wouldn't live without.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

sunndance Registered since 17th Mar 2009Wed 06-May-09 08:07 PM
131 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: To d60 or not"
In response to Reply # 6

Texarkana, US

I bought a D60 as a spare for my D90, because the D60+18-55mm vr kit lense is a very light weight combo(climbing the Alps). I was very suprised with the great IQ the D60+18-55mm vr setup offered. Stick with Nikkor lenses like the 18-55mm vr and 55-200mm vr. It will save U $$$ and you'll have great IQ.

Low light is the right light for me...

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #39028 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.