Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #38802
View in linear mode

Subject: "Newbie taking blurry motion pics" Previous topic | Next topic
ZippyRC Registered since 21st Apr 2009Tue 21-Apr-09 03:40 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Newbie taking blurry motion pics"

US

if any one could help me i have a d60 with a tamron af18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 lens. trying to take pics of radio controlled cars and coming out blurry

its indoor and thought it was pretty well lit.. but maybe not

i have my ISO on its highest setting but maybe im still doing something wrong

any help is greatly appreciated

thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Newbie taking blurry motion pics
blw Moderator
21st Apr 2009
MEMcD Moderator
21st Apr 2009
blw Moderator
21st Apr 2009
Floridian Silver Member
21st Apr 2009
ZippyRC
23rd Apr 2009
blw Moderator
23rd Apr 2009
Terry Beeson
27th Apr 2009
humminoid
29th Apr 2009

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 21-Apr-09 03:48 AM
26573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Newbie taking blurry motion pics"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Pretty well lit for people and pretty well lit for action photography are often two very different things! What shutter speed are you shooting at? You'll need at least 1/250th to stop motion, maybe even more. At ISO 1600 that could be a trick with an f/6.3 lens.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 21-Apr-09 07:55 AM
25663 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Newbie taking blurry motion pics"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi,

With the lens that you have your best bet would be to set the zoom at 18mm, use Aperture (A) priority exposure mode, or Manual (M) exposure mode with the Aperture wide open at f/3.5. At f/6.3 indoors there is no way to get a reasonable shutter speed for freezing the action.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 21-Apr-09 10:37 AM
26573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Newbie taking blurry motion pics"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond, US

> At f/6.3 indoors there is no way to get a reasonable shutter speed for freezing the action.

... without using flash.

_____

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Tue 21-Apr-09 03:41 PM
2712 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Newbie taking blurry motion pics"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

You do need a fast shutter speed as others have said. You also might try following a car with your camera and shooting as the camera follows the car. With good technique you can pan the camera to follow the car and the background will be blurry, not the car. I'm sure you've seen photos like this with full-size cars. It might be tougher to do this with RC cars though. With shots that require difficult technique like this, take a lot of photos, and even if most of them don't turn out, you'll get a few good ones.

Randy

ZippyRC Registered since 21st Apr 2009Thu 23-Apr-09 01:04 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Newbie taking blurry motion pics"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thank You all.. i will be trying this tomorrow night again..
all the imput is very helpful

just one more question? is there a better lens for taking pictures inside that would be better then what i have? or is it one of those lenses that are real pricey ..

i wouldn't mind buying a lens if it will be the make or break to what i am trying to accomplish

thanks again to all

Zippy

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 23-Apr-09 01:54 AM
#6. "RE: Newbie taking blurry motion pics"
In response to Reply # 5

Richmond, US

What focal lengths are you using? If they're around 35 or 50, the Nikkor 35/f1.8 AFS DX, Sigma 30/f1.4 HSM DC, Nikkor 50/f1.4 AFS and Sigma 50/f1.4 HSM are all much better at low light - f/1.4 is four stops faster than f/5.6. Four stops means 16x in shutter speed, or the difference between 1/30th and 1/500th!!! None of them are particularly expensive - all under $500 and the Nikkor 35 is more like $200. If your focal lengths are more like 135mm things will be considerably more expensive...

_____

Terry Beeson Registered since 01st Dec 2008Mon 27-Apr-09 06:30 PM
130 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Newbie taking blurry motion pics"
In response to Reply # 0

Nixa, US

Another thing to mention is your method of taking these shots. I would "assume" you are following the cars with your camera and snapping at some point. But you might be setting up for the shot at a specific location and snapping when the car is in the frame.

If following the cars, one thing to think about is "follow-through" of the shot. If you are moving with the car and then stopping as you open the shutter, this will cause a blurr as well. A fast shutter speed will take care of a lot of this, but still need that follow-through just like shooting sporting clays or ducks.

Then there is always that "auto" vs. "manual" focus factor when taking these types of images. Which are you using?

Terry

D40
N8008

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

humminoid Registered since 27th Apr 2009Wed 29-Apr-09 02:54 AM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Newbie taking blurry motion pics"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Terry:

One of the two most likely causes of unsharp pictures are: Shutter speed too slow for the lens you are using. Rule of Thumb: (R.O.T.) shutter speed at or greater than the focal length or equivalent you are shooting at. i.e., Focal length 250 mm. = at least 1/250 sec. Racing cars need a higher shutter speed to keep them sharp, too.

Next, and I'd say probably the biggest culprit: pressing the shutter release like you are killing a particularly nasty-looking spider. Promotes the fuzzies every time, you bet!

Indoors, as was mentioned, bottled light, in the form of an auxiliary flash is a goodness.

After all, photography literally means "writing with light". It is our medium, and if there isn't enough of it, nothing good happens.
Good luck, and have fun!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #38802 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.