nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #38801
View in linear mode

Subject: "Sunpak DigiFlash 2800" Previous topic | Next topic
brucear Registered since 06th Apr 2009Tue 21-Apr-09 03:03 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Sunpak DigiFlash 2800"

US

Hi Everyone, I hope someone can help me with this. I bought a SunPac Flash that said it was made for the Nikon D40 camera. The flash works, BUT the recycle time is somewher around 10 or more sec. Is this correct....Also I can't find the manual for the flash on the internet...When I go to Sunpak webpage, this flash is not listed.
At the time I bought this flash, I did not have all the funds for the Nikon flash. If some one knows where I can get the manual, please let me know

Thanks
brucear@juno.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 21-Apr-09 04:52 AM
26897 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Sunpak DigiFlash 2800"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Recycle time tends to be governed by several things, in no particular order of importance:

- battery type and charge level.
- design of the flash, in particular the capacitor that buffers the battery energy for the flash tube.
- the power of the flash required - full power flash of course takes longer to recover than a minimal flash.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

CharlieS Registered since 29th Aug 2007Tue 21-Apr-09 10:04 PM
1729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Sunpak DigiFlash 2800"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Some sunpaks just take longer to recycle from a full power discharge.
I've read numerous complaints about some models taking excessive time.
In my own experience i have a 422 that takes 10+ seconds with fresh duracells installed, and i've read that some 383, & 433's do the same.I suspect its in the capacater recharge circuit, as i also have an old 333 that recharges in about 5 seconds with fresh batteries. Thats about the same time as my SB800 with the 5th battery installed.

humminoid Registered since 27th Apr 2009Wed 29-Apr-09 03:02 PM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Sunpak DigiFlash 2800"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 29-Apr-09 04:58 PM by humminoid

US

Bruce:

I think Chalie is probably correct. I have a 2800, which I really like. It recycles somewhat slowly, although iirc, a smidge faster... maybe 2 sec. than yours, with new batteries. I don't recall getting a manual with either my Px 30 (?) or the 2800 (Same flash, just a previous model, I think.)

Anyway, you don't really need one. Kick the tires, light the fires, and go!

Something I have found to work, is to adjust the power level with those nice little buttons on the back of the unit. At lower power, the recycle time is some faster, and the camera will adjust exposures accordingly.

That's what the guys at Strobist do...they move their lights closer, and dial them 'waaay down to 1/4 and 1/8 power, to get rapid, almost instantaneous recycle times. It works with my Sunpak 433s, and 383.

If I understand the exercise, it reduces the light by shortening the flash duration, using less power and not discharging the capacitor as much, which takes less time to recharge it.

Another thing I have not personally tried is to use the one-shot Lithium batteries. They are said to cut recycle time, and give more flashes. They are also EXPEN$IVE! Which is why I have not tried them. Rechargeables; NiMH or Eneloop, work well for my needs.

More expen$ive, though, are the guys who shoot their flashes like a machine gun, heating them up beyond anything the factory engineers designed them for, and shortening the life by orders of magnitude. There are stories about impatient "pros" who burn out an SB 800 to dim yellow in just a few sessions. Aaaargh! To me, that is Flash Abuse!

Moderation in all things! Pace yourself; ten fast shots MAX., and STOP! Have a Coke, let the poor flash cool off! Your batteries, your flash, and your wallet, not to mention the Spousal Unit will thank you.

I hope this helps a little.

O hey! One thing I forgot to ask: Do you have trouble fitting your 2800 into the camera hot shoe? I do at times, and after looking, it appears to be the contact points, which are squared off, hang up slightly. I am considering taking my Dremel with a cut-off wheel, which will double a fine grit grinding stone, and rounding them off a little. I haven't quite summoned the courage to try it yet, tho.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #38801 Previous topic | Next topic