nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon D60 vs. D200 for low light shooting?

agates1272

US
1 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
agates1272 Registered since 23rd Mar 2009
Sun 12-Apr-09 01:35 AM

Hi all, let me start by saying what a great forum this is...I've found alot of useful info.

I'm in serious need of some help, so I'll start with what I have, and what I'm trying to do:

What I have: Nikon D60 w/ 18-55mm kit lens (f/3.5), Nikon 55-200 VR zoom (f/4), and Sigma 70-300mm DG AF zoom (f/4), and a Nikon SB-600 Speedlight.

What I'm trying to do: Fire scene photography

I'm delving into the world of public safety photography, and since I'm an ex-firefighter, I've chosen to use working fire scenes as the basis of my work. Shooting these scenes during the day is not a problem with the equipment and glass I have, but night time scenes are an entirely different story. And while I know that a faster lens is the simplest solution to my problem, my extremely limited budget has kept the solution out of my hands.

My question is, will the D200 give me better low light results with my existing glass? I had a guy at a camera shop tell me that the D200 will do alot better since it performs better at the higher ISO settings, but my research is giving me conflicting information. If buying a D200 will yield better results, I can easily sell my D60 body to offset the cost. But I can't afford to spend $800 to $1500 on an faster zoom lens.

I shoot in shutter priority mode, with my shutter set anywhere from 1/60 down to 1/8. I get great exposure but extreme blurring at the slower shutter speeds, and using a tripod on these scenes isn't practical given the amount of moving around and angles I try to shoot. I'd like to be able to shoot at 1/60 or higher, but the pictures of course come out unuseable.

Any feedback you can provide on whether or not the D200 will help would be great, as well as any tips for tweaking my equipment or settings to shoot better pictures in low light. Thank you all for your time and advice.....

Adam Gates

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D60 vs. D200 for low light shooting?

G