nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #38390
View in linear mode

Subject: "Want new Telephoto Lens for D60" Previous topic | Next topic
VertigoVO2 Registered since 02nd Apr 2009Thu 02-Apr-09 03:22 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Want new Telephoto Lens for D60"

US

I have a 55-200mm Telephoto AF Nikkor VR lens. I think is great but find that 200mm is too small for sport action shots. What will be a good Telephoto Lens to add that is good value? Any help will be appreciated.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Want new Telephoto Lens for D60
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
02nd Apr 2009
bigben6
02nd Apr 2009
thesilentknight
04th Apr 2009
bigben6
04th Apr 2009
MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography
04th Apr 2009
twofortamu
08th Apr 2009
VertigoVO2
08th Apr 2009
bigben6
08th Apr 2009
MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography
08th Apr 2009
Mark V
09th Apr 2009
Jaybird28
28th Apr 2009
prometheas
28th Apr 2009
chewie
28th Apr 2009
kevinh803
28th Apr 2009

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 02-Apr-09 04:51 PM
27019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Want new Telephoto Lens for D60"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Antonio,

Welcome to Nikonians!
The answer will depend on your budget!
If you are shooting outdoors in good light:
If you are looking for a zoom with a longer range, the Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR (about $500.00) would be a good choice.
For a true telephoto prime, the Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED IF AF-S ($1200.00)is an excellent choice as well.
The longer the focal length the higher the price of the lens.
When you get to the fast telephoto primes and zooms the price jump is by orders of magnatude. 300mm f/2.8G ED IF AF-S VR (about $4800.00), 200-400mm f/4G ED IF AF-S VR (about $5700.00), 400mm f/2.8G ED AF-S VR (about $8800.00).
There are also third party alternative with less sticker shock.
If you fill us in on your budget and specific sports and lighting conditions (eg.:night football games under the lights, soccer in daylight conditions ect.) we can give you a more specific answer taylored to your specific requirements.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

bigben6 Registered since 18th Feb 2009Thu 02-Apr-09 05:44 PM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Want new Telephoto Lens for D60"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I am pretty new to all of this so consider that when taking my recomendation BUT: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/549301-REG/Sigma_5A9306_70_300mm_f_4_5_6_DG_Macro.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

Got it a week or two ago and it has been a good lens, some say it is soft at the 200-300 setting which would be a concern but i cannot see it myself, not the quickest but in good light i have no issused with blur outside of user error... no VR/IS but at 124... its a good deal IMO... hth

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

thesilentknight Registered since 27th Feb 2009Sat 04-Apr-09 12:44 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Want new Telephoto Lens for D60"
In response to Reply # 0

Cape May Ct. House, US

Hello VertigoVO2...
I just picked up a Sigma 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 DG APO MACRO. This particular lens has the built in motor for the Nikon D40/D40X/D60 so they can auto-focus. but no lens stabilization (VR) around $190. Good build quality...very happy with the results thus far. I would have loved to get a Nikon 300mm but the price was prohibitive. This Sigma lens is very good bang for the buck. Good luck

bigben6 Registered since 18th Feb 2009Sat 04-Apr-09 04:03 PM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Want new Telephoto Lens for D60"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thats the on i have but i did not get the AOP coating, i am too happy with the results thus far...

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Sat 04-Apr-09 07:34 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Want new Telephoto Lens for D60"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

You've gotten good advice so far. Like everyone says, the best answer depends on your budget.

If you're spending less than $800 or so, and you want AF (for sports I guess the answer is yes) then your choices are pretty simple and have already been laid out:

$125 Sigma 70-300 DG Macro
$190 Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro
$450 Nikkor 70-300 AF-S VR

If you're buying one of these Sigmas, be sure you get a model with the built-in motor to AF on your body. There are many versions of these lenses and older ones did not include a motor. Of these I'd recommend the APO (I own the older APO DG Macro without the motor) but it's mainly used by my wife for macro shooting.

The Nikkor is a great lens and an outstanding value. You will spend over $1000 to find a better 300mm lens, and over $2000 to find a better 300mm lens with VR. The main drawback is it won't be great in low light, but you'll spend many thousands trying to improve on that. I own this lens as well, and it gets a lot of use shooting birds when I need to be very mobile.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

twofortamu Registered since 02nd Feb 2009Wed 08-Apr-09 06:58 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Want new Telephoto Lens for D60"
In response to Reply # 5
Wed 08-Apr-09 06:59 PM by twofortamu

Carrollton, US

I recently purchased the Nikkor 70-300 AF-S VR along with another wide angle Nikkor zoom and have taken many soccer game pictures (with good stadium lighting)in the last three weeks. The difference between the 70-300 and the 55-200 Nikkor lens is worth the extra money spent. Most of these game shots were taken with a tri-pod with VR on and off. At full speed and well into the evenings I have bumped up the ISO to 800 - 1600.

Before the new lens arrived I took many game pictures with the 55-200 and the difference is time spent post picture time on the computer with Capture NX2 and most of the latest pics are ready to go with minor checking of player/action and focus mis-haps. The (DX) 1.5 multiplier gives me a 105-450mm range as compared with the full-sized camera/lens combinations. My day time game pictures have really increased in sharpness and stopping the action. This is not a professional lens, but it was a great step up for me.

Mike.

VertigoVO2 Registered since 02nd Apr 2009Wed 08-Apr-09 07:24 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Want new Telephoto Lens for D60"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Thank you guys....Yes I have the 55-200mm Nikkor VR. Its a great lens and workd fine, but the other day at my daoughter Soccer game I found out that I need addtional zoom. Specially shooting action from the oposite side of the field. I want some thing that could give the 200mm zoom potential plus 35% more. I see the prices list above...so a 70-300mm is better zoom than 55-200mm....haw mjuch better....how much bbigger the zoom./

Where can I get those prices???

Thanks again guys...

bigben6 Registered since 18th Feb 2009Wed 08-Apr-09 08:28 PM
#8. "RE: Want new Telephoto Lens for D60"
In response to Reply # 7

US

BHphotovideo.com has those prices....

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Wed 08-Apr-09 10:10 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: Want new Telephoto Lens for D60"
In response to Reply # 7

Livermore, CA, US

You can compare 200mm vs. 300mm using this handy tool:
http://www.tamroneurope.com/flc.htm

The prices above were estimates off the top of my head, but yes you'll find prices like that at BH photo which is where I do most of my shopping.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

Mark V Registered since 18th Jun 2004Thu 09-Apr-09 04:19 AM
3386 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Want new Telephoto Lens for D60"
In response to Reply # 9

Los Angeles, US

As of this morning: Samys Camera (a large California outfit, with multiple locations) has factory re-furbished 70-300 AFS lenses for $300.

Location: Fairfax Ave, Los Angeles and you can get the rest from Google.
They do mail order and have a web site.

Jaybird28 Registered since 15th Apr 2008Tue 28-Apr-09 02:59 AM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Want new Telephoto Lens for D60"
In response to Reply # 10

Kent, US

I had the same problem with my 55-200. Santa brought me the Nikon 70-300 AF VR for Xmas from Adorama.com ($460) absolutley love it. Check out my photo's on this site. Great lense!!

prometheas Registered since 07th Sep 2008Tue 28-Apr-09 08:14 AM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Want new Telephoto Lens for D60"
In response to Reply # 11

Athens, GR

I have the Sigma 70-300 APO DG and I use it mainly with my D60. It is quite a decent lens but can not compete with the excellent Nikon 70-300 AF-S ED VR. If you can afford the Nikon then go for it and do not look any further..

Nikonian in Athens, Greece

chewie Registered since 17th Jan 2008Tue 28-Apr-09 03:43 PM
134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Want new Telephoto Lens for D60"
In response to Reply # 12

Petaling Jaya, MY

I totally agree with prometheas,

If you can wait (i.e. save a bit more), then get the 70-300 AF-S ED VR. I've taken shots of animals in zoo (check out my gallery too if you like) to see it. All of those were taken with the 70-300mm AF-S ED VR. My friend was using the Sigma and confirmed that the Nikkor was much better (VR and quality).

If you cannot wait (urgent use) then go for the Sigma. If you have friends who have the Nikkor, and could borrow, then you could borrow first and continue to save for the 70 - 300mm AF-S ED VR. Just make sure you get the one with the VR (there's also a 70-300mm non-VR version...wwwaaayy cheaper but not good).

~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~

I've learned that I have alot more to learn...

kevinh803 Registered since 02nd Dec 2008Tue 28-Apr-09 06:09 PM
245 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Want new Telephoto Lens for D60"
In response to Reply # 13

Euclid, US

I have to concur with Chewie on trying out these lenses, and I would suggest finding a good local professional camera supply shop and see if you can rent one. I own the 70-300 AF-S ED VR and have never been sorry I bought it. Remember that teleconvertors will decrease the speed of your lens, and shouldn't be a problem ouitside in sunlight. I'm getting one myself.

Keep it on continuous, it's digital!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #38390 Previous topic | Next topic