Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #37846
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which lens for novice traveling to Machu Picchu?" Previous topic | Next topic
JessMiller Registered since 01st Mar 2009Mon 02-Mar-09 01:11 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which lens for novice traveling to Machu Picchu?"

US

Hello,

I have the D60 with the 18-55VR kit lens and it's the only lens I currently own. However, I'm traveling to Machu Picchu, Peru in May and wanted to get an additional lens to take with me. Do I get a wide angle or maybe a 55-200mm? I've read lots of great things about prime lenses, but I'm not sure if this is the right choice at this time and I'm not totally comfortable with the manual focus thing just yet. I'm a beginner with the DSLR's. I want a versatile lens that will help me take great landscape shots and also be useful for everyday travel, general photography. My budget is a few hundred dollars.

Thank you!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Mon 02-Mar-09 01:53 AM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Which lens for novice traveling to Machu Picchu?"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

You could find some uses for an ultra-wide lens, but I think it would be more useful for you to cover the telephoto end first. Your budget doesn't leave you a lot of choices, and of the choices you have, the Nikkor 55-200VR combined with your existing lens would be the best option for image quality. If you could stretch your budget to $400-500 then there are single lens solutions like 18-200 and 18-250 from Sigma and Tamron, but here you are sacrificing image quality for the convenience of carrying a single lens.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Mon 02-Mar-09 03:40 AM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which lens for novice traveling to Machu Picchu?"
In response to Reply # 0

Billings, US

I was fortunate enough to visit Machu Picchu several years ago and had limited photo equipment when I did. If I could go back now I would absolutely want a lens in the 10-15mm range as well as something that covered at least 70-150mm and 300mm or longer would be good for wildlife. There are places where a short to medium telephoto can produce very nice landscapes and others where an ultra-wide is the only thing that will work. Given your budget, you can only get the short to medium telephoto. The short to medium telephoto will get you nice shots of Huayna Picchu, the iconic pyramidal peak that is often referred to as Machu Picchu.

Gerry Rhoades
www.montanapens.com
My Nikonians Gallery

gunfighter48 Registered since 01st Aug 2008Mon 02-Mar-09 04:48 AM
136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which lens for novice traveling to Machu Picchu?"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, US

With your budget I'd go with the 55-200VR zoom. I had and used one and it's a great lens for the money. You can find used 55-200s for $120-$140 on the used market. If you can stretch your budget a bit more go for the Nikon 70-300VR lens. You can find them used for around $400. They're great lenses for the money and the VRII system works great.

Something else to consider is buying some rain sleeves/covers for your camera gear. The D60 and lenses recommended so far are not weather sealed. And you will run into rainy/very damp conditions. Enjoy the trip and post pictures when you return.

gunfighter48
A steady hand works good for cameras and guns.

JessMiller Registered since 01st Mar 2009Mon 02-Mar-09 12:54 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Which lens for novice traveling to Machu Picchu?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks everyone. Consensus seems to be the 55-200 considering my budget restrictions. I appreciate the feedback. Will definitely post my pictures when I return.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #37846 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.