Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #37050
View in linear mode

Subject: "which memory card?" Previous topic | Next topic
texasrecurve Registered since 02nd Feb 2009Tue 03-Feb-09 05:52 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"which memory card?"

US

I have a new D60 and am new to digital cameras. I have narrowed down my memory card to a sandisk extreme III 4 gb. I am looking at them on amazon and the question is.....do I need the retail package one or the cheaper one in the "bulk" pack. I guess the bulk pack one does not have a card reader. I have no idea if I need a card reader or not. Thanks!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: which memory card?
bdavison
03rd Feb 2009
MotoMannequin Moderator
03rd Feb 2009
kevinh803
06th Feb 2009
Cheesecycle Silver Member
03rd Feb 2009
texasrecurve
03rd Feb 2009
mtpenmaker
03rd Feb 2009
09th Feb 2009
Beatkat
09th Feb 2009
10th Feb 2009
Beatkat
06th Feb 2009
Beatkat
06th Feb 2009

bdavison Registered since 31st Dec 2008Tue 03-Feb-09 06:43 PM
152 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: which memory card?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Just verify if your computer has a SDHC capable card slot. If not, you will need the reader.

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Tue 03-Feb-09 06:52 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: which memory card?"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

The Extreme III 4G is a good card for D60. If the retail pack indeed includes a card reader, you don't need more than one reader and can buy them inexpensively as seperate items, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. I've never gotten a reader with my retail packaged Sandisk CF or SD cards, but maybe this is a new promotion.

Just be sure your cards are coming from a reputable retailer, because counterfeit Sandisk is extremely common. Because Amazon fronts for other stores, I wouldn't count this as an absolute guarantee of a reputable retailer.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

kevinh803 Registered since 02nd Dec 2008Fri 06-Feb-09 08:25 PM
245 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: which memory card?"
In response to Reply # 2

Euclid, US

Because
>Amazon fronts for other stores, I wouldn't count this as an
>absolute guarantee of a reputable retailer.
>
>Larry - a Bay Area
>Nikonian

>My
>Nikonians gallery>

>
www.tempered-light.com

I'd just like to point out that though Amazon fronts for other stores, Amazon allows returns in all cases for good reason or none. I have been using Amazon for 4 years, and have never had cause to regret it. They even pay the return shipping, if you are willing to repack and deliver the package to the shipper. I have shopped for christmas at Amazon in that 4 yr. timespan, and have probably ordered 200++ packages, or more. Never a problem. Just wanted to show some loyalty to a company that really stands behind everything they sell.

Keep it on continuous, it's digital!

Cheesecycle Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2009Tue 03-Feb-09 07:03 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: which memory card?"
In response to Reply # 0

Starkville, US

If you are referring to the static pack vs the retail pack, neither of them come with a card reader. It appears that the static pack is refurbished or returned or something. Personally, I would go with the static pack (cheaper one).

Pretty much any card reader that is compatible with USB 2.0 and SDHC cards will do. Most newer laptops (and some desktops) have flash card readers built in, so you may not need one at all.

Sandisk had a really nice rebate available that just ended. You may want to look around for a new one. I tried to upload the pdf of the rebate, but it was slightly too big. If you would like to see it I can email it to you.

For what it's worth, I have this same card and I love it.

-Ricky

texasrecurve Registered since 02nd Feb 2009Tue 03-Feb-09 11:30 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: which memory card?"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed 04-Feb-09 04:12 PM by texasrecurve

US

Hey Ricky, yeah if you could email that to ******* that would be great. Thanks!

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Tue 03-Feb-09 11:44 PM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: which memory card?"
In response to Reply # 4

Billings, US

In case you didn't know, it is fairly dangerous to post your email address on any forum. The spammers have spiders that crawl forums just looking for email addresses and using the word "at" instead of the symbol is not always effective either. We have icons here for private messages and email both.

Gerry Rhoades
www.montanapens.com
My Nikonians Gallery

Cheesecycle Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2009Mon 09-Feb-09 09:08 AM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: which memory card?"
In response to Reply # 4
Tue 10-Feb-09 08:39 AM by Cheesecycle

Starkville, US

As expected, they have restarted the rebate.

3 8GB Sandisk Extreme III for $12.35 shipped after rebate.

The rebate applies to 4-16GB Extreme III SD cards as well as Extreme III and IV CF cards.

Beatkat Registered since 27th Dec 2007Mon 09-Feb-09 11:28 AM
239 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: which memory card?"
In response to Reply # 9

Oxford, US

That link doesn't appear to be good........could you repost it?

Connecticut Nikonian
D5100
Nikkor 50mm 1.8
18-55DX
55-200VR
other asst. glass

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Cheesecycle Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2009Tue 10-Feb-09 08:39 AM
#11. "RE: which memory card?"
In response to Reply # 10

Starkville, US

Sorry about that, had the http:// in the links, try them now. It seems that particular store has sold out, but the rebate is still available.

Beatkat Registered since 27th Dec 2007Fri 06-Feb-09 02:30 AM
239 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: which memory card?"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri 06-Feb-09 02:33 AM by Beatkat

Oxford, US

Sandisk cards are excellent and worth the money. I own a 2gig and a 4gig Extreme III, and they seem to always be running some type of promtion. I got a full version of CaptureOne RAW editor with the 2gig. and a free pouch with the 4gig/USB reader combo pack. I posted a strap "mod" a while that back that mounts the small pouch on my strap, and that enables me to carry the Usb MicroMate USB reader and several SD cards with the camera at all times. Especially handy when you just want to grab the camera and go, and allows you to leave photos with people at any USB plug, if desired, or, also take something as well, (use them as one would use a thumb drive).....find that here:
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=152&topic_id=30384&prev_page=show_topic&gid=30384#30388
Also don't forget the lifetime warranty and rescue software that comes with them, too.......well worth the investment IMHO..

Connecticut Nikonian
D5100
Nikkor 50mm 1.8
18-55DX
55-200VR
other asst. glass

Beatkat Registered since 27th Dec 2007Fri 06-Feb-09 01:20 PM
#7. "RE: which memory card?"
In response to Reply # 0

Oxford, US

If you haven't bought already, (or even if you have), check out post here- Greg
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=152&topic_id=37187&mesg_id=37187&page=

Connecticut Nikonian
D5100
Nikkor 50mm 1.8
18-55DX
55-200VR
other asst. glass

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #37050 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.