nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #36996
View in linear mode

Subject: "New Guy with a cool toy" Previous topic | Next topic
pseudotexan Registered since 02nd Feb 2009Mon 02-Feb-09 08:25 PM
70 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New Guy with a cool toy"

US

I have been lurking for a while trying to glean all the informattion I could but I have some other questions. I/we (my wife and I) got a D60 with the two VR lens package, yes the gold one I have seen disparaged elsewhere, and all kinds of goodies. I have taken several hundred shots and so has my better half. I do the cataloging and playing with the images.

We shoot in fine, large mode and I have been using Picasa3 to edit them as .jpg files. I have a trial version of Nikon NX that I haven't used or loaded. Is it that much better? Will I see a difference in the final product if it is only a digital pictureframe??

Second, did I buy the wrong camera for shooting the boys playing ball outside? What would a "faster" lens than the 55-200 VR I have be(and which of my children would it cost me)?

third, I was only looking at a point and shoot super zooms when a salesperson suggested I try the Dslr's if I wanted a true do-it-all camera and once I shot a few frames with the d60 I was in serious like. So I did what any one would do and read everything I could about it and was totally confused. I also tried out the copmetition. So now I have this terriffic camera and feel like I should do more with it. The kids and the dogs run when they see me with it and my wife, well that look could kill, fortunately I am hardened to it. Where do you find what you enjoy shooting? I have shot the birds and squirrels at the feeder and have learned alot of things not to do to get a good shot like kill the autofocus or you get a great shot of the tree but your target critter is blurry.

Any response to my rambling would be appreciated as there is so much I don't know. I have read the d60 magic lantern book and have hit the library for the kodak photography book.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: New Guy with a cool toy
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
02nd Feb 2009
pseudotexan
03rd Feb 2009
mtpenmaker
02nd Feb 2009
AkamaiGuy
02nd Feb 2009
pseudotexan
03rd Feb 2009
dave_gt
03rd Feb 2009
bdavison
03rd Feb 2009
HankW
03rd Feb 2009
Beatkat Silver Member
03rd Feb 2009
Cheesecycle Silver Member
03rd Feb 2009
Beatkat Silver Member
03rd Feb 2009
04th Feb 2009
chewie
04th Feb 2009
pseudotexan
04th Feb 2009
Beatkat Silver Member
04th Feb 2009
pseudotexan
04th Feb 2009
Beatkat Silver Member
04th Feb 2009
05th Feb 2009
kevinh803
06th Feb 2009
pseudotexan
08th Feb 2009
Beatkat Silver Member
08th Feb 2009
pseudotexan
09th Feb 2009
kevinh803
09th Feb 2009

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 02-Feb-09 09:25 PM
27014 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New Guy with a cool toy"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Paul,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Congratulations on the new D60!

>We shoot in fine, large mode and I have been using Picasa3 to
>edit them as .jpg files. I have a trial version of Nikon NX
>that I haven't used or loaded. Is it that much better? Will
>I see a difference in the final product if it is only a
>digital pictureframe??

If you shoot Raw Nikon NX will provide better results and is woth using. For display in an electronic picture frame, it won't make too much difference, unless the exposure was way off.

>Second, did I buy the wrong camera for shooting the boys
>playing ball outside? What would a "faster" lens
>than the 55-200 VR I have be(and which of my children would it
>cost me)?

If you are shooting outside in daylight, you should have little or no problems with your current kit. If you are talking about shooting night Football games under the lights, or indoor sports, a faster lens would be required.
As for how much, it depends on the focal length and the speed of the lens, and weather or not you are willing to focus manually. The 50mm f/1.8D is about $115.00 but will not AF on the D60. For fast wide to normal primes that will AF on the D60, you have three choices: Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 HSM, or the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G AF-S, all of them being in about the $400.00 to $500.00 range. It then goes to fast f/2.8 constant aperture zooms. Up to the Nikkor 70-200mm VR ($1650.00) or so. If you go long telephoto, it gets $$$$$$ very quickly at 300mm and up.

>third, I was only looking at a point and shoot super zooms
>when a salesperson suggested I try the Dslr's if I wanted a
>true do-it-all camera and once I shot a few frames with the
>d60 I was in serious like. So I did what any one would do and
>read everything I could about it and was totally confused. I
>also tried out the copmetition. So now I have this terriffic
>camera and feel like I should do more with it. The kids and
>the dogs run when they see me with it and my wife, well that
>look could kill, fortunately I am hardened to it. Where do
>you find what you enjoy shooting? I have shot the birds and
>squirrels at the feeder and have learned alot of things not to
>do to get a good shot like kill the autofocus or you get a
>great shot of the tree but your target critter is blurry.
>
>Any response to my rambling would be appreciated as there is
>so much I don't know. I have read the d60 magic lantern book
>and have hit the library for the kodak photography book.

As for family members hiding from the camera, I think we have all been there!
Shoot the subjects that appeal to you!
Get "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson It will get you out of the Auto modes and on your way.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikon!

Best Regards,
Marty

pseudotexan Registered since 02nd Feb 2009Tue 03-Feb-09 02:41 PM
70 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: New Guy with a cool toy"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks, when I am editing them for printing how do I know if it is right? Is it personal taste or do you look for specific things? I find as I learn one thing I can see more of the bigger picture. I shot 25-50 frames before the information in the viewfinder along the bottom even registered that it was there. Now I am paying attention to some of it on every shot. Will editing become like that too? It does not seem formulaic.

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Mon 02-Feb-09 10:01 PM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New Guy with a cool toy"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 02-Feb-09 10:02 PM by mtpenmaker

Billings, US

I used to teach photography, when the Nikon F2 was THE 35mm SLR to own. I would have my students meet at my house, in an ordinary residential area of Denver with their camera and a 36 exposure roll of film. We would all walk around the block together and they were expected to shoot the entire roll of film in that time. Some of them had trouble and some didn't. I could generally go through two rolls of film in that time. Just take the camera and go for a walk and try really looking. I've taken photos in junkyards, railroad yards, small towns and big cities, everywhere. The subject matter is endless, but you have to teach yourself to see it by looking and taking photos.

Gerry Rhoades
www.montanapens.com
My Nikonians Gallery

AkamaiGuy Registered since 14th Nov 2008Mon 02-Feb-09 11:01 PM
42 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New Guy with a cool toy"
In response to Reply # 2

Kaneohe, US

To further Gerry's post, I took a couple photography classes in college (35 years ago) and I don't remember learning the techical stuff but I do remember the teacher harping about learning to see things differently and then about composition.

After time it became a reflex and I don't have to work at it, it just seems I am always finding and composing shots as I go through life.

It is annoying when I see a great shot and no camera! Happens all the time to all of us!

Good luck and enjoy - photography is a wonderful hobby and one for and about life!

Mark

pseudotexan Registered since 02nd Feb 2009Tue 03-Feb-09 02:36 PM
#8. "RE: New Guy with a cool toy"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks that is a great idea. I think I will take the boys on a long walk this weekend, maybe it will be nice enough to get down to the beach and see how the Ike repairs are coming

dave_gt Basic MemberTue 03-Feb-09 12:52 AM
1085 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: New Guy with a cool toy"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hmmm...why would anyone diss a D60 gold version? I think they are pretty nice looking!

dave

bdavison Registered since 31st Dec 2008Tue 03-Feb-09 05:39 AM
152 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: New Guy with a cool toy"
In response to Reply # 4
Tue 03-Feb-09 05:50 AM by bdavison

US

I have the black gold D60. I didnt buy it for the "gold", I bought it because I got a good deal on it. Who cares. Its the same camera.
Now the camera matches the lenses...both have gold...LOL

Back to the topic...

If you have the itch to shoot pictures...go out and do it. Grab your camera, and head out. Pictures are everywhere. Change your frame of mind....dont just walk along, visually look at everything as "what would that look like as a picture".

Sometimes I just grab the camera, and go for a walk. I try to look at everything I see as a picture. EVERYTHING. See the picture with your eyes, visualize it, then shoot it to match what you visualized.

Its hard to explain, but pretty soon you will start to see the world as one big picture.

Whats really funny is you will probably catch yourself at sometime, looking at something and thinking ..."that would look good at 1/125th f/3.8 with a -2.0 fill flash".

Dont just visualize composition, visualize exposure too.

HankW Registered since 07th Nov 2008Tue 03-Feb-09 06:14 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: New Guy with a cool toy"
In response to Reply # 5

Fallbrook, US

If your shooting running Kids, Dogs, Wife....Try using the shutter mode and speed the shutterto freeze stop action? When you set at shutter the camera takes over the the Aperture ect. Try various shutter speeds and see what happens. Kids like to jump, right? put something on the ground and let them run and jump over it. Start out by following along along with your camera "called panning" and even try continious shoot mode. Thats when you hold the shutter button down and it rattles off shots at about 3.5 frams per second. Your 18-55mm AF will work just fine. Set WB=auto,ISO=Auto,.then go stand in the street and take a photo of your car, use Aperture and do the same thing thing. This will give you a good reference as to whats happening whilth these different modes. Try kenrockwell.com look up you D60 and start reading how he sets things up, also read that one that you have, and last but not least the most confusing ( to me anyway) the camers's manual. Pretty soon even the manual starts to make sense, if that happens your on your way.. Other Questions? well come back here someone will help...But HAVE FUN pretty soon your wife will love you gratefully for all the wonderfull photo's
of the kids.( Im still waiting for that last part).

Fujifilm f40fd P%S,Nikon D40,Photoshop elements.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Beatkat Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2007Tue 03-Feb-09 06:28 AM
239 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: New Guy with a cool toy"
In response to Reply # 6

Oxford, US

We all have felt the same about the cameras....as others have said, re-read the manual a few times over the next few weeks of shooting. It makes more and more sense as you learn.....and try to always have your camera, you never know what you'll stumble upon in your day to day travels. I've had pretty good luck with the 55-200VR and sports shooting outside, but it takes some fiddling to get consistently good shots....make sure you're shooting with a good 4gig or better card, and just shoot, shoot, shoot! Also, what better excuse to plan a weekend or day trip then to reach out for new and different subjects.Regards-

Connecticut Nikonian
D5100
Nikkor 50mm 1.8
18-55DX
55-200VR
other asst. glass

Cheesecycle Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2009Tue 03-Feb-09 08:20 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#10. "RE: New Guy with a cool toy"
In response to Reply # 0

Starkville, US

I am fairly new the SLRs and while I started with a basic knowledge of how cameras work, exposure, and all that, I have had a very god time learning about all the things I can do with my D60.

I am no where near as knowledgeable as most of the folks on this forum, but I would like to add a little something that has helped me progress much more rapidly than I would have otherwise.

I have spent a lot of time reading about aperture, shutter speeds, ISO, white balance, histograms, and more; however, it can be quite intimidating learning all these concepts as well as understanding how they work together. I decided to write a little research/technical paper on how cameras work, and how some of the different concepts of photography work together to create the image you are looking for. I tried to write the paper so someone with a basic idea of the concepts could understand some of the more complicated relationships. In the 4-6 hours I spent researching and writing the paper, I learned more than I would have in 20+ hours of reading tutorials and guides and such.

If you are pretty inquisitive in general and are interested in learning as much as possible, I would highly recommend doing a similar project. Of course, you need to just get out and shoot a lot too, but understanding the concepts and such will help immensely.

Good luck,
-Ricky

Beatkat Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2007Tue 03-Feb-09 11:45 PM
239 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: New Guy with a cool toy"
In response to Reply # 10

Oxford, US

Hey wait a minute Ricky.......no offer to supply this paper to Nikonians???

Connecticut Nikonian
D5100
Nikkor 50mm 1.8
18-55DX
55-200VR
other asst. glass

Cheesecycle Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2009Wed 04-Feb-09 05:38 AM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#12. "RE: New Guy with a cool toy"
In response to Reply # 11

Starkville, US

I'll have to tidy it up a bit first.

chewie Registered since 17th Jan 2008Wed 04-Feb-09 05:22 PM
134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: New Guy with a cool toy"
In response to Reply # 0

Petaling Jaya, MY

A few notes from me.

1. Don't be intimidated by other photographers that has done better shots of similar subjects as you did. Look at their pictures to compare what is different from yours and would it look good on your photograph and the WAY YOU WANT IT to be.

2. Don't rush into NAS...you just got to fight the feeling. It's normal for beginners to rush into thinking that "if only I had this lens or that equipment". Developing technique, photography skill and knowledge is far more important than developing a NAS.

Having NAS (Nikon Aquistion Syndrom, if you haven't came across that word for now) is something you cannot escape (like aging) but you can delay it (if you fight it hard enough). By delaying NAS for as long as you can, you will force yourself to develop better techniques, skills and knowledge.

By the time your techniques, skills and knowledge has progressed to a comfortable level, I'm sure NAS would have caught up with you and you can then allow yourself to dive into equipment(s) to further enhance your passion.

Hope that two bits help. I'm just learning myself and those were what I was feeling and experiencing before and couldn't find information in books to help me.

~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~@~

I've learned that I have alot more to learn...

pseudotexan Registered since 02nd Feb 2009Wed 04-Feb-09 09:11 PM
#14. "RE: New Guy with a cool toy"
In response to Reply # 13

US

thanks. Is NAS that cold clammy feeling in the pit of my stomach when I drive by the camera shop, that feeling that something, anything in there will turn the light on in my head and I will suddenly be able to "see" pictures everywhere? Nah, haven't got that......I am too broke to haave that.

My quest is to understand about half of what I am doing when I venture out of AUTO. I have done the shooting the moving fan on S mode and explored depth of field with A mode but I don't think that way yet,how can anyone think in Aperature mode when it is backwards. I am a chemist and a learn by doing kind of person, the concepts are fine until I can break them type of learning. I like it when I get a good picture but I don't have any idea of how or why it is good, that is what I am struggling with.

Beatkat Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2007Wed 04-Feb-09 09:40 PM
#15. "RE: New Guy with a cool toy"
In response to Reply # 14
Wed 04-Feb-09 09:45 PM by Beatkat

Oxford, US

Have you seen the DVD's that were produced by Nikon and sold with the D40 and D40x? While some may find them elemental, I have watched the "understanding" DVD several times and it's well done and easy to understand....each time I watch it, I find a new tidbit...many people got these with their kits as a freebie, and you may be able to find one free or cheap, or even at the local Library....and they can be copied for ....ahem.....archival purposes...if you know what I mean.....Bob Krist is a well known National Geo photographer, and he's easy, (almost too easy) to watch and understand......

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-School-Instructional-DVD-for-D70-D40-D60-D3-D40x_W0QQitemZ110346401926QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDigital_Camera_Accessories?hash=item110346401926

Connecticut Nikonian
D5100
Nikkor 50mm 1.8
18-55DX
55-200VR
other asst. glass

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

pseudotexan Registered since 02nd Feb 2009Wed 04-Feb-09 10:34 PM
#16. "RE: New Guy with a cool toy"
In response to Reply # 15

US

Yes I have that one and the other one specifically for the D40/D60. I have watched them both several times. I think my problem is that I am too impatient. My best photos have come with little thought and incredibly lucky timing. The actual mechanics of the camera were a briefly passing thought, or non-thought.

I am going to try the walking and photographing this weekend and see what I come up with. I want to go to Galveston to see the shoreline reconstruction and the sea.

Beatkat Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2007Wed 04-Feb-09 10:51 PM
#17. "RE: New Guy with a cool toy"
In response to Reply # 16

Oxford, US

Ok, Galveston is a pretty place to photograph, I was there recently, and took a Caribbean cruise ....stayed overnight and did some photography there myself....

Connecticut Nikonian
D5100
Nikkor 50mm 1.8
18-55DX
55-200VR
other asst. glass

Cheesecycle Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2009Thu 05-Feb-09 07:31 PM
#18. "RE: New Guy with a cool toy"
In response to Reply # 16

Starkville, US

I recommend picking one concept per outing (depth of field, for example) and experimenting with that. I get some decent shots just wandering around shooting whatever, but if you give yourself a more specific goal, you will likely come back with much better photos.

Good luck,
-Ricky

kevinh803 Registered since 02nd Dec 2008Fri 06-Feb-09 09:47 PM
245 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: New Guy with a cool toy"
In response to Reply # 18

Euclid, US

One of my standard recommendations for newer photographers is to enjoy the camera, and take pictures. Don't avoid the preprogrammed settings just because it's a "semi-professional" camera. Go out and take pictures, and use the manual modes part of the time, getting better at them, but don't get frustrated trying to force manual modes down your own throat. All good things come with time. It's not a college course, it's fun!

Keep it on continuous, it's digital!

pseudotexan Registered since 02nd Feb 2009Sun 08-Feb-09 03:09 PM
#20. "RE: New Guy with a cool toy"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 08-Feb-09 03:12 PM by pseudotexan

US

Well, I went for a walk with the camera, didn't make it to Galveston though. I took about 75 shots and played around with A mode mostly. Took a couple of shots of the creek in S mode to see what I could do with the moving water. For the most part they are uninspiring. I was unable to get pictures with what I considered the point of the shot i.e. a cool tree, a really big wood mushroom, my boy, as the central focus of the shot. I feel like a monkey with a violin, I can approximate taking photos but it ain't music. This is probably my favorite
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showphoto.php/photo/153719/ppuser/214235

I don't think the colors or sharpness are quite right in it. More reading and shooting is required. I am really disapointed in the shots I took of my son. I tried keeping him on one side and all I got of background is a confusing mess. I got small shots of him next to relatively large trees and large shots of him next to a tangle. Maybe my other boy will be a more cooperative and inspiring subject

Beatkat Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2007Sun 08-Feb-09 05:38 PM
#21. "RE: New Guy with a cool toy"
In response to Reply # 20
Sun 08-Feb-09 05:40 PM by Beatkat

Oxford, US

I think you're being pretty hard on your self, but I will say that you're doing what you need to do, and that is to explore in your own psyche what makes a good composition, and what turns you on about a good shot...and you're out there shooting... the image you posted is a nice clear shot of ...some water. Nothing wrong with it, but it does lack something to really draw the eye to the shot...the shot's of your boy in the gallery are nice, except perhaps for his expression in one....but good color balance, exposure, etc. This is all a big learning experience, and especially if one feels that they haven't developed their "eye" for interesting composition....it takes personal development, and it's work. Yes, some people seem to have more of a natural awareness, but many of them have put a huge investment of time, thought,study, and energy into it.....are you using an editing program as well? Many of the photo's that just WOW us have had post production to make them really "pop"...many have not, but it can be a good way to enhance an overall good shot....or light up a drab one...and it's a valuable skill to develop. Hope that helps a little...I am also struggling with those same issues, and I think everyone does...so don't feel discouraged or alone, by any means............

Connecticut Nikonian
D5100
Nikkor 50mm 1.8
18-55DX
55-200VR
other asst. glass

pseudotexan Registered since 02nd Feb 2009Mon 09-Feb-09 07:01 PM
#22. "RE: New Guy with a cool toy"
In response to Reply # 21

US

Thanks for the encouragement. I was very frustrated at my inability to make the camera take the shots that I wanted. I came home with a bunch of stuff that I couldn't see any difference in (by changing Aperature and reshooting). I also had some shots that looked like I accidentally fired the camera. Part of the problem, I think, was the monochromatic-ness of the park. It is almost spring but not quite yet. I liked the water shot because there was some contrast between the grass the water and the sky. The sky was beautiful Saturday and the wind on the water was changing its texture, I was unable to capture it. There is a great big live oak that didn't get knocked down during Ike that I tried to shoot but couldn't get anything I liked, nothing to show the depth, size and surroundings of it everything looked like a pile branches.

I am having difficulty framing shots I always seem to end up with more background and less object of interest. I know what that problem is and have something to work on.

kevinh803 Registered since 02nd Dec 2008Mon 09-Feb-09 08:27 PM
245 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: New Guy with a cool toy"
In response to Reply # 22

Euclid, US

Your pictures aren't bad at all. One of the things I've learned here is that you will get honest criticism. The first line will always be : that's a nice picture! Then you will get your criticism. It has really helped me...so..watch the center of your frame...both boys are centered, and that is (generally, of course), not where you want your subject to be... check into "rule of thirds". And relax, if we all started out Ansel Adams we'd all be rich and well regarded!

Keep it on continuous, it's digital!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #36996 Previous topic | Next topic