Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #36935
View in linear mode

Subject: " New to Nikon D60 and finding problems w/ use. Help!!" Previous topic | Next topic
Bobar57 Registered since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 31-Jan-09 07:28 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
" New to Nikon D60 and finding problems w/ use. Help!!"

US

Hi, I have a new Nikon D60 and I have been tweaking and taking
some practice
shots with it and right now I have a problem. I'm shooting in
different modes,
but no matter what settings I use  all my photos seems to be
out of focus or lacking sharpness and with  noise.x(
I tried NEF(RAW) and JPEG(fine and large)and in both cases my
pictures don't come out as sharp as I expected them. I'm using
the 18-55 VR
zoom lens  that came with the kit. I was turning on and off
the camera without
turning off the VR, till yesterday when I realized that I
needed to turn off
the VR. My ISO settings has varied from 100 to 400, but mostly
100 and 200,
auto noise reduction and auto white balance. The shutter speed
has been between
1/60 to 1/250 and aperture has leaned to the open wide side(4
to 5.6, some at
8,few at 11).VR always on.The pictures have come out always
not sharp enough
and with a high noise. I used to have a D50 and the pictures
were better than
with the D60, and those were not VR lenses.
Am I doing something wrong?I need help, please.
 :( 

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: New to Nikon D60 and finding problems w/ use. Help...
mtpenmaker
01st Feb 2009
MEMcD Moderator
01st Feb 2009
bdavison
01st Feb 2009
Gabowman
01st Feb 2009
Bobar57
02nd Feb 2009
Bobar57
02nd Feb 2009
Beatkat Silver Member
03rd Feb 2009

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Sun 01-Feb-09 01:47 AM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New to Nikon D60 and finding problems w/ use. Help!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Billings, US

Without seeing an example along with complete EXIF data trying to figure out what's wrong is sort of like calling a mechanic and saying "my car won't start, what's wrong with it?"

But, there are a couple of things. You do not need to turn off the VR before you turn off the camera. Also, with VR, you need to let the image stabilize before releasing the shutter. This takes about a second and you can actually hear the VR settle in. If you don't give the lens time to stabilize, you are likely to get blurry photos. Do you have Auto ISO turned on? I would recommend turning off the noise reduction. Noise is better dealt with in post processing. What do you use for post processing and do you do any sharpening in post processing?

Gerry Rhoades
www.montanapens.com
My Nikonians Gallery

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 01-Feb-09 03:47 AM
25935 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New to Nikon D60 and finding problems w/ use. Help!!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Robert,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Gerry is right! My best guess with out seeing the images would be that you are releasing the shutter before the VR settles. If you are shooting at shutterspeeds between 1/60th and 1/250th, try turning the VR off. If your images are sharper this confirms the cause of the problem is the VR not having enough time to settle.
When using VR, once you lock in your focus allow about a second or so to settle, then release the shutter. This should provide enough time for the VR to work.
Shooting at ISO 100 to 400 you shouldn't have too much trouble with noise unless there ate dark shadows in your image.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikon!

Best Regards,
Marty

bdavison Registered since 31st Dec 2008Sun 01-Feb-09 04:31 AM
152 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New to Nikon D60 and finding problems w/ use. Help!!"
In response to Reply # 2

US

We might be able to help more if you could post a shot with the exif data.

There are multiple things that maybe causing the problems.
Just a few things off the top of my head.

1. Focus lock on the wrong part of the image.
2. Not using half-press to lock focus before snapping the pic
3. Not allowing the VR to stabilize.
4. Camera in Manual Focus mode vs AF mode
5. Incorrect Custom exposure settings.
6. AF assist light turned off.

As far as the noise issues? ISO 100 really shouldnt have any noise.
Check and see if you have AUTO iso enabled. In which case the camera will choose a ISO for you...when you think its on ISO 100 you may be getting a ISO 1600 image or something.

Gabowman Registered since 01st Jan 2009Sun 01-Feb-09 10:47 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: New to Nikon D60 and finding problems w/ use. Help!!"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Might be a dumb question, but have you adjusted the viewfinder focus to see the brackets clearly (not the picture youre about to take but the brackets)?

Bobar57 Registered since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 02-Feb-09 12:26 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: New to Nikon D60 and finding problems w/ use. Help!!"
In response to Reply # 4

US

I did that the very first day Gabowman.

Bobar57 Registered since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 02-Feb-09 12:32 AM
#6. "RE: New to Nikon D60 and finding problems w/ use. Help!!"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thank you bdavison, I did check for all that, but guess what..I took some test pictures today outside and sure, they showed pixelated,with noise and out of focus on the LCD screen of the camera when I zoomed in to see details, but then I upload them to the computer and at normal size there is not sign of the above, just a bit of not sharp enough when I magnified them to see details,something I understand, since those were taken w/the camera hand held and I have shaky hands these days,but no pixelation or noise is noticeable

Beatkat Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2007Tue 03-Feb-09 05:45 AM
239 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: New to Nikon D60 and finding problems w/ use. Help!!"
In response to Reply # 6

Oxford, US

You'll get it, it took me a bit of time to realize that handheld, even with VR, is trickier on a small form, lighter weight DSLR, then on a heavy metal FM.....a lot of it is probably hand shake and miniscule movement at the point of shutter actuation....have you ever tried a monopod? Whenever I lug my tripod or monopod around, (muttering and cursing under my breath...), I am never sorry that I brought it..yes these cameras are capable,( I have heard others boast about how one doesn't need a tripod anymore with a DSLR..),but if you want crisp,and sharp,... anchor that camera to something rigid...........

Connecticut Nikonian
D5100
Nikkor 50mm 1.8
18-55DX
55-200VR
other asst. glass

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #36935 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.