nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #36845
View in linear mode

Subject: "DIY: Wired camera release for D40,D50,D60 etc" Previous topic | Next topic
anurag Basic MemberThu 29-Jan-09 05:34 AM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"DIY: Wired camera release for D40,D50,D60 etc"

Bangalore, IN

Hi

I am writing this post to help you out how to make a wired remote control for low end DSLRs. For Nikon D70, D80, D90, D200 etc higher end bodies Nikon has MC-DC1,MC-DC2, MC 36 etc. But for lower end DSLRs like D40, D50 and D60 there is no wired remote control, Nikon has provided only wireless remote ML-3. Moreover the infrared receiver of the camera body is placed in front of the camera so that you can take your own picture when you are seated in front of the camera with the help of the remote. But this creates two major problems - (1) sometimes it's very difficult to press the shutter with the help of the remote while you are looking through the viewfinder. If your hand holding the remote does not point to the receiver preciously you will lose the shot - I did it sometimes. Hence sometimes you have to move your eye away from the viewfinder to verify whether the remote is indeed pointing towards the IR receiver - you may loose the quick action shot again! (2) You can not place the camera in a hidden place, far away from you and trip the shutter with the wireless remote as you can do it with the wired remote. Hence I wanted a wired remote for my D50.

I researched a bit and read in one post in this forum where one person has suggested to open the remote and solder a micro switch parallel to the electrical contacts which is tripping the trigger. I didn't want to spoil the original Nikon ML-3, also the casings are molded, they can't be detached and hence I needed to purchase another remote for the experiment. At first I purchased the following remote for $5 - http://cgi.ebay.com/JY-Remote-Control-for-NIKON-D80-D70S-D60-D50-D40-ML-L3_W0QQitemZ250330703999QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera_Camcorder_Remotes?hash=item250330703999&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14. In the picture there was a screw and hence I thought I could open the casings, but couldn't - the casings are actually molded.

Then I found out the "OMG! SR-1 Universal Infrared Remote for Canon and Nikon SLR / D-SLR". This remote comes with a small mirror that can be easily mounted on the lens and hence you can trip the shutter from behind the camera as well, the IR ray will be reflected from the small mirror and then hit the IR receiver. This remote also comes with a tiny LED light that can also become handy at sometimes. I purchased it in ebay for $10 including shipping. Unfortunately today I couldn't find it in ebay, may be they will post it after Chinese New Year which is ending on 31st Jan. But I found the details with pictures in this following link - http://www.velocity-media.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=22195

Luckily this remote can be opened! I put a screw driver in between the top and bottom casings, gave some force and the joint between them got broken, I got the PCB - half work is done. I took it to an electronics shop, we tested the contacts and found out the proper contacts which should be connected with the micro switch. Now my wired remote is ready with a two meter long very fine wire used for electronics purpose !!! The micro switch is soldered on a small PCB panel so that it can be held easily.

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/4819/93611875et1.jpg

I attached the wires with the PCB and again with the casings at two places with super glue– so that when the wire is pulled it won’t damage the soldering. Then you can close the casing easily, just press them against each other, they will fit perfectly. Here is the final look –

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/6060/56455013nf1.jpg

Now how can I mount it on the camera body - another big question. I searched for any reusable, non-residual adhesive and found out the following one in a good book shop. This is quite amazing, don't leave any trace at all! You can find equivalent stuff in USA.

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/4636/97283211zt8.jpg

Then I attached the remote in the following way -
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/8859/13224318we4.jpg

Total cost – $10 + $2 (wire+micro switch+soldering cost+adhesive) = $12.

So my experiment is successful, and I can trigger my shutter with much less effort and without removing my eye from the viewfinder. I can keep looking through the viewfinder, focus the subject with the lens focusing ring by the left hand and trigger the shutter with the right hand whenever required. I just don't have to care whether the remote is pointing towards the IR receiver or not. I just needed it for my macro photography.

Hope this post will help you to find out your own remote in whatever way you want.

Thanks
Nirmalya

A hardcore Nikonian from India

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

bdavison Registered since 31st Dec 2008Thu 29-Jan-09 06:01 AM
152 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: DIY: Wired camera release for D40,D50,D60 etc"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Its a shame that they didnt fit the D40 and D60 with a cable release socket....but....

Im modifying mine to have one. Im milling out a new shutter release button on mine with it tapped for a cable release.

Hi_Im_Van Registered since 29th Jan 2009Fri 30-Jan-09 09:45 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: DIY: Wired camera release for D40,D50,D60 etc"
In response to Reply # 0

US

wow awesome. i think this is a very great DIY.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #36845 Previous topic | Next topic