Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #365
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon EN-EL3 Battery Recall!" Previous topic | Next topic
zztop252 Registered since 24th Jul 2004Wed 09-Nov-05 08:24 PM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon EN-EL3 Battery Recall!"

US

Nikon is recalling some of its EN-EL3 batteries for safety reasons. Apparently, some of them present a short circuit fire hazard. It applies to owners of the D100, D70, and D50.

At first I gasped when I didn't see a lot number (means it isn't a genuine Nikon product), but you have to shine the light on it at a certain angle to see the number. Mine is okay.

You might want to check out the lot numbers to see if you have one of the defective batteries.

Here is the link:

http://www.nikonusa.com/email_images/nikonusa/service_advisory/battery.html

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon EN-EL3 Battery Recall!
aacycles
10th Nov 2005
Drewhound
11th Nov 2005
zztop252
11th Nov 2005
edmun
11th Nov 2005
Aleks
11th Nov 2005
bhola
12th Nov 2005
mfa
19th Nov 2005
mfa
19th Nov 2005

aacycles Registered since 30th Oct 2005Thu 10-Nov-05 09:51 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon EN-EL3 Battery Recall!"
In response to Reply # 0

So there are actually some users with good batteries. mine is one off the effected one's. Anyway Nikon promise to replase it with a better model for free so i'm happy. I do have the feeling the 8/10 day turnaround may slip though due to the hi demand. This is part of the e-mail i recived upon registration by phone with nikon earlier today.

We acknowledge your request for a replacement EN-EL3 battery, your request has been placed in a queue and we will contact you by phone/email to inform you when stock is available. The reference number for this request is listed at the top of this page. We request that you keep this information safe as this may be required in the future.

when stock is avalible. hmmm. lets see if it does happen in 8/10 days.

Drewhound Registered since 01st Mar 2007Fri 11-Nov-05 07:41 AM
121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon EN-EL3 Battery Recall!"
In response to Reply # 1

It took me ten minutes to find the number lol. Mine is on the list so I'm getting a new battery (might as well look on the positive side)

zztop252 Registered since 24th Jul 2004Fri 11-Nov-05 11:25 AM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon EN-EL3 Battery Recall!"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Yeah, I think you might be right. The initial onslaught of battery returns will probably slow things down.

I didn't buy my D50 until late August so maybe that is why my battery wasn't on the list. Maybe the supply of those lot numbered battery packs has already been exhausted in the camera kits.

My dilema now is that I need to buy a backup battery and Nikon said that retailers are still selling these suspect battery packs. I wonder if Nikon will snag these individual battery packs from their retailers and replace them?

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Fri 11-Nov-05 12:47 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon EN-EL3 Battery Recall!"
In response to Reply # 3

eugene, US

Some retailers are real slow to check stock and others are really fast.

Take your list with you and you will know there.

All of the EN-EL3a are ok and they are same price.

ledmun

Aleks Registered since 29th Oct 2005Fri 11-Nov-05 05:07 PM
132 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon EN-EL3 Battery Recall!"
In response to Reply # 4

Calgary, CA

Mine is bad too....lucky I have a spare battery, but I'm not gonna like being on a single battery for a while...

D80 | MB-D80 Grip | Nikkor 50mm f1.8D | Nikkor 85mm f1.8D | Nikkor 18-70mm f 3.5/4.6G ED | Nikkor 70-300mm f 4/5.6G ED | Tamron 90mm f 2.8 Macro | Nikon SB-600

bhola Registered since 29th Oct 2005Sat 12-Nov-05 12:22 AM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon EN-EL3 Battery Recall!"
In response to Reply # 5

Chandler, US

>Mine is bad too....lucky I have a spare battery, but I'm not
>gonna like being on a single battery for a while...

If you give credit card online or by phone they will send you battery first with envelop to send old back within 30 days to avoid charges.

Also there are total 710,000 total battery under this recall world wide- http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml06/06023.html
-B

mfa Registered since 19th Nov 2005Sat 19-Nov-05 12:48 AM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon EN-EL3 Battery Recall!"
In response to Reply # 6

Pelennor Fields, US

Bummer. Just saw this tonight. I have two batteries and one of them is on the list. Don't know if it is the original one or the extra one that I bought. But at least it is not both!

Oh well, I am impressed with how long a battery charge lasts compared to 2 previous digital cameras.

mfa Registered since 19th Nov 2005Sat 19-Nov-05 02:45 PM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon EN-EL3 Battery Recall!"
In response to Reply # 0

Pelennor Fields, US

Remember those exploding Nikon after-market battery stories a few months ago that Nikon was so quick to tout as the compelling reason to buy "genuine Nikon"?

Does this mean those incidents may have actually been genuine Nikon batteries after all?

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #365 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.