Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #36489
View in linear mode

Subject: "D40 lens help!!" Previous topic | Next topic
Jenkins81 Registered since 20th Jan 2009Tue 20-Jan-09 07:16 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D40 lens help!!"

US

I own a Nikon D40. It came with 18-55mm lense. I want to purchase a lense that is good for anything but mostly portraits. Im wanting a aperature of 1.4 - 2.8 I think. That is what someone suggested to me because mainly I want good picture quality. I want nice sharp images. I dont want something very expensive. I am just an amature and do not plan on becoming "professional". However, I do want something that is going to give me excellent picture quality. I learned that I am limited to AFS or AFI Nikon lenses on the D40. Can someone please suggested what I should buy? THANK YOU!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 20-Jan-09 09:14 PM
25743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D40 lens help!!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Emily,

Welcome to Nikonians!
If you want to take advantage of AF your choices are very lmited.
The best choice for Portraits would be the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G AF-S.
The main reason for shooting portraits wide open at f/1.4 is to minimize the Depth of Field (DOF). The larger the aperture (smaller the f/#) the narrower the DOF. This will allow you to focus all of the attention on your subject while rendering the foreground and backround blured. A pleasent blur is discribed as "bokeh".
The 50mm f/1.4G AF-S has a 9 blade diaphragm which will produce a smooth bokeh. Be aware that you must nail the focus when shooting wide open, because at f/1.4 the eyes may be in sharp focus and the back of the ears are starting to get soft!
Good Luck and Enjoy your D40!

Best Regards,
Marty

captaincarl777 Registered since 01st Jan 2009Wed 21-Jan-09 02:13 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D40 lens help!!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I picked up a used Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D AF to use on my D40. It does not autofocus on the D40, but it does meter properly. If you don't mind manually focusing (which I've found takes more practice than I would have expected), you can buy one for $110 new, and even less used.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

aimacavei Registered since 16th Jan 2009Wed 21-Jan-09 06:05 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D40 lens help!!"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 21-Jan-09 06:07 AM by aimacavei

Timisoara, RO

If you want a dedicated lens for portraits i recommend Nikkor 60mm f:2.8 AF-S Micro (like 90mm for film/FX). As an amateur, i don't recommend 50mm AF-D f:1.4 / 50mm AF-D f:1.8 because you'll have to focus manually and at 1.4 the depth of field is to narrow and you gan get the eyes in focus and the nose out. Also, in low light and/or not perfectly still subjects it's a pain to focus manually.
The lens has excellent picture sharpness.
If you realy want f:1.4, get the Nikkor 50mm f:1.4 AF-S. You'll have to get just a little closer. You really net AF-S lens if you want to shoot in available light at wide apertures.
The least expensive lens is the Nikkor AF 50mm f:1.8 wich i personally recommend over the 50mm f:1.4 AF-D (not AF-S). It has the exact same picture quality as the 50mm f:1.4 AF-D on a DX camera with just a stop slower (f:1.8 vs f:1.4), for less than half the price. You'll sacrifice autofocus.
I hope the infos will help you.

AIMacavei

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002Wed 21-Jan-09 11:31 AM
14274 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D40 lens help!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Berwyn Heights, US

You've already received good lens suggestions and also the be wary of a wide aperture and what appears to be in focus. Don't mistake softness for the simple fact that a wide aperture has a very narrow depth of field and some objects may simply be out of range to be sharp.

Also be aware that you can get excellent picture quality from the lens you have. Image quality is going to be much more up to your skill than your equipment.

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #36489 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.