Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #36399
View in linear mode

Subject: "P6000 or D60?" Previous topic | Next topic
pfretts Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2006Tue 13-Jan-09 11:27 PM
323 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"P6000 or D60?"

Dothan, US

I currently own a D700 which I purchased when I sold my D200. I still have the 18-200 lens I bought for the D200.

Would I be better off to purchase the P6000 as a "carry it all the time in my car camera" or purchase the D60 body.? The prices seem comparable.

I would say the D60, but would like opinions as to the relative merits of each.

Paul Fretts
www.aviationartonline.com

Nikonian in LA (Lower Alabama)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: P6000 or D60?
edwin1ejb Silver Member
27th Mar 2009
VeeDubb
27th Mar 2009
MotoMannequin Moderator
27th Mar 2009
AndyMac Silver Member
27th Mar 2009
VeeDubb
28th Mar 2009

edwin1ejb Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jan 2003Fri 27-Mar-09 08:56 PM
531 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: P6000 or D60?"
In response to Reply # 0

Glendale, US

I am shocked you have no replies!

VeeDubb Registered since 07th Jun 2007Fri 27-Mar-09 10:18 PM
514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: P6000 or D60?"
In response to Reply # 0

Dallas, US

Well you certainly would have had a response from me if I hadn't missed this post.

Basically, I think it comes down to what you want to do with your camera.

If you want a back-up camera for doing "Serious photography" the D60 is the better choice, but frankly, it's still not a great choice. You'd be happier with a D80 or D90 as a back-up.

If what you really want really is a "carry it all the time in my car camera," then I think the P6000 is the clear winner.

The main reason I say that is size. The P6000 is about as big as non-SLR cameras get these days (although my coolpix 5700 was bigger), but to get the same zoom, you'd need an 18-200 or even more. That is a pretty large set-up in comparison.

Plus, the P6000 can shoot at F2.8 when at the widest angle if I'm thinking of the right camera. To do that with a D60 would require multiple lenses.

http://www.stevecoonsphoto.com

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Fri 27-Mar-09 11:30 PM
8581 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: P6000 or D60?"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

D60 hands down if you want the speed and/or quality of an SLR, and you're willing ot live with the bulk.

There's a real advantage though to a P&S that you can fit in your pocket, for snapshot moments, when you don't need the ultimate quality. I own one, and I best most of us do. I'm sorry to say, Nikon is kind of an also-ran in the world of P&S. If you're willing to go to a different brand, then you'll find a lot better cameras than the P6000.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

AndyMac Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Dec 2003Fri 27-Mar-09 11:47 PM
3652 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: P6000 or D60?"
In response to Reply # 0

Odessa, US

D60. It's not much bigger than the P6000 (depending on lens) but the results will be MUCH better and when you need a real camera you will already have one.

I hate to say it but the Nikon prosumer point&shoots have been very disappointing for a long time.

If I were looking for something like the P6000 I would be looking at one of the Canons. I bought my daughter an S5 IS for Christmas a couple years ago. It's a great little camera with quick focusing, fast shutter response and quick start up time.

For some reason Nikon hasn't gotten those things going in their Coolpix line.

I recently picked up a refurbished D40x for $269 and I love it. After shooting SLR and DSLR for so many years I just can't stand using a point and shoot with slow focus and shutter response.

And don't even get me started about those tiny little sensors that they cram more and more megapixels into.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

VeeDubb Registered since 07th Jun 2007Sat 28-Mar-09 01:05 AM
514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: P6000 or D60?"
In response to Reply # 4

Dallas, US

"It's not much bigger than the P6000 (depending on lens)"

I think this is VERY misleading at best. The D60 is not much bigger if you put a pancake lens on it, but to get something that even begins to approach the degree of zoom in a P6000, you would have 6 inches of lens sticking off the front of the camera, and a total weight that would be measured in pounds instead of ounces.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the P6000 is universally better, but if you want something to carry with you at all times, even the smallest SLR is a very poor choice.

http://www.stevecoonsphoto.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #36399 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.