Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #36375
View in linear mode

Subject: "Why SDhc 4 gig Card only shows 520 available shots - He..." Previous topic | Next topic
romster Registered since 18th Jan 2009Sun 18-Jan-09 12:37 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Why SDhc 4 gig Card only shows 520 available shots - Help"

US

I just purchased a Nikon D60 and loving it. decided to purchase a larger capacity Transend 4gig SD card. The current SD card I have is SanDisk 2gig and it shows 520 available shots after I format the 2gig SD. I put the new 4gig SDhc card and format it. After formating I exited the menu. The available shot still shows 520. Is this normal? Did I formated it wrong? Is there a setting that I have to enable in order for the 4gig SDhc to show more than 520 shots? I need help on this manner. Or do I need to by a SanDisk 4gig Sdhc? Any help is apriciated.

Regards
Rom

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Why SDhc 4 gig Card only shows 520 available shots ...
VeeDubb
18th Jan 2009
MEMcD Moderator
18th Jan 2009
romster
18th Jan 2009
CharlieS
18th Jan 2009
mep3136
18th Jan 2009
CharlieS
18th Jan 2009
VeeDubb
18th Jan 2009
romster
19th Jan 2009
romster
19th Jan 2009

VeeDubb Registered since 07th Jun 2007Sun 18-Jan-09 01:43 AM
514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Why SDhc 4 gig Card only shows 520 available shots - Help"
In response to Reply # 0

Dallas, US

Well, there are quite a few possible explanations here.

1: the Occam's Razor answer is that you are mistaken, and got your cards mixed up. To check, put the 2gig in, format, and see how many available shots it says, then do the same with the 4gig, just like you said you have already done.

2: The next possibility is that you switched to a higher quality setting on your camera when you put the new larger card in. You could test this the same way as #1.

3: It is 'possible' (although very unlikely) that your 4GB card is not actually SDHC, but a non-compliant SD card. For a while before the SDHC format came out, there were a number of cards on the market that were 4GB, but were not actually SDHC cards. The were standard SD card that simply exceeded the standard size limit of SD, and had to be formatted with fat32.

These pretty much died out completely with the debut of SDHC, because that failed to work properly in MANY devices. So, if you somehow managed to get a hold of one, it could be that your camera if formatting it with a 2GB fat16 partition.

You "may" be able to use the card by formatting it on your desktop, but it's probably not worth it, as CHA errors and data loss are common.

4: Barring all of the above, the only thing I can tell you is that the camera only estimates the number of available shots, but a 4GB definitely should NOT report the same number of available shots as a 2GB card.

As for buying a SanDisk brand SDHC card, don't bother. What brand of card you get makes almost no difference at all. In fact, I never buy sandisk cards, because about 6 years ago, the had a huge run of error prone 1GB cards, and I never bought them again, even though they have long since fixed their QC issues.

http://www.stevecoonsphoto.com

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 18-Jan-09 01:48 AM
25941 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Why SDhc 4 gig Card only shows 520 available shots - Help"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Rom,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Did you change the image size or quality settings in the menu?
Keep in mind that the shots remaining is just an estimate. The number is never absolutely accurate. When you start shooting and filling the card, You will see that it will hold about double that of your 2 Gig card. The closer the card is to being full, the more accurate the shots remaining is. Unless there is something wrong with the new card. Give it a try!

Best Regards,
Marty

romster Registered since 18th Jan 2009Sun 18-Jan-09 04:31 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Why SDhc 4 gig Card only shows 520 available shots - Help"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thank you for your reply.
I have not changed any setting on the camera. I just took the 2gig SD SanDisk and format it and shows 520 available shots. Then I took a few pictures and the number of shots went down respectively. After that I swithched to the Transcend 4gig SDhc and formated the same way without changing any setting on the camera. It also shows 520 available shots. I took a few shots and it went down respectively. Thank you for your reply, I may just keep shooting till I ge tover the 520 shots and see if the count goes any further in available shots. In curiosity, what would anyone see after they have formated the 4 gig SDhc the available shot?

Also after I formated the 4gig It shows that it is formated in fat32. I tried to format it at FAT (fat16) on the computer but after I formated it in the camera it was fat32 again. I guess the camera formats at fat32.

Thank you for your help.

CharlieS Registered since 29th Aug 2007Sun 18-Jan-09 07:14 AM
1729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Why SDhc 4 gig Card only shows 520 available shots - Help"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I just checked several of my cards, Transcend, Dane Electric, Sandisk, and a couple of generic.

I've got 8, 4, and 1 gig cards so the numbers for a 2 gig i'll extrapolate, using the data from my D80.
My 8 gig cards show 1K+ images set to large/fine. the 4 gig cards show 520 to 530, (depending on the card) images with the same setting, and the 1 gig cards show 125.
so to extrapolate that to a 2 gig card, it would be reasonable to conclude i'd see about 250 images possible.

What i'm wondering is if you have a card thats been mis labled.
have you gone into "my computer" and actually checked the size of the card in the assigned drive letter properties? check that and see if that provides an answer.

mep3136 Registered since 11th Sep 2008Sun 18-Jan-09 05:31 PM
46 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Why SDhc 4 gig Card only shows 520 available shots - Help"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun 18-Jan-09 05:34 PM by mep3136

ZA

are you shooting in raw? with my 2gig card i get only about 250 shots in raw so i am assuming with a 4 gig card you will get around 500 to 520? raw takes up more room than jpeg so perhaps that is why you are not as many shots as you think you should.

also the d60 has a only limited number of shots counter, can't remember what it is off hand and i do not have my manual handy, so perhaps you should check your manual as well.

CharlieS Registered since 29th Aug 2007Sun 18-Jan-09 11:26 PM
1729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Why SDhc 4 gig Card only shows 520 available shots - Help"
In response to Reply # 5

US

mep
i dont think thats the case, as the OP's origional post was asking about why both a 2 and 4 gig card would show the same image capacity.

VeeDubb Registered since 07th Jun 2007Sun 18-Jan-09 11:37 PM
514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Why SDhc 4 gig Card only shows 520 available shots - Help"
In response to Reply # 4

Dallas, US

>I just checked several of my cards, Transcend, Dane Electric,
>Sandisk, and a couple of generic.
>
>I've got 8, 4, and 1 gig cards so the numbers for a 2 gig i'll
>extrapolate, using the data from my D80.
>My 8 gig cards show 1K+ images set to large/fine. the 4 gig
>cards show 520 to 530, (depending on the card) images with the
>same setting, and the 1 gig cards show 125.
>so to extrapolate that to a 2 gig card, it would be reasonable
>to conclude i'd see about 250 images possible.
>
>What i'm wondering is if you have a card thats been mis
>labled.
>have you gone into "my computer" and actually
>checked the size of the card in the assigned drive letter
>properties? check that and see if that provides an answer.

I was just thinking the same thing. This is a heck of a lot more likely than him getting a hold of one of those non-SDHC 4GB cards.

Also, to the OP, a note for you on fat16 vs fat32:

The reason that your 4GB card get's formatted to fat32 by the camera, is that fat16 has a size limit of 2GB.

If you managed to format a 4GB card to fat16 on your desktop, it would not function properly in most devices or in most desktops. Most recent versions of windows will allow you to format a removable device that is larger than 2GB as fat16, but because it won't work properly, you camera will always reformat it to fat32, which allows MUCH larger partitions. (I forget the exact size limit at the moment)

There are actually MANY different file systems. Each file system is designed for a different purpose, and has different limitations in terms of partition size, and maximum file size.

http://www.stevecoonsphoto.com

romster Registered since 18th Jan 2009Mon 19-Jan-09 01:10 AM
#8. "RE: Why SDhc 4 gig Card only shows 520 available shots - Help"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>What i'm wondering is if you have a card thats been mis
>labled.
>have you gone into "my computer" and actually
>checked the size of the card in the assigned drive letter
>properties? check that and see if that provides an answer.

The properties of theSdhc shows 3.71gig fat32 after it has been formated on the D60

romster Registered since 18th Jan 2009Mon 19-Jan-09 02:09 AM
#9. "RE: Why SDhc 4 gig Card only shows 520 available shots - Help"
In response to Reply # 8
Mon 19-Jan-09 04:59 AM by romster

US

Ok I tried several SD card

I placed the Transcend 4gig SDhc formated to 3.72gig in the D60 and Available shots is 520

I placed the SanDisk 2gig SD formated to 1.89gig in the D60 and Available shots is 520

I then purchased PNY 2 gig SD
I placed the PNY 2gig SD formated to 1.89gig in the D60 and Available shots is 266

I put the SanDisk 2gig SD and formated to 1.89gig in the D60 and now it shows 266 available shots

This is weired, I do not get the 520 shots on the 2gig SanDisk SD anymore, it just shows 266. Now the 4gig shows 520.

I guess the D60 camera needs a reference point in order for it to calculate the # of image capacity... Who knows

Recap it all image capacity:
Transcend 4gig SDhc > (520) shots available
SanDisk 2gig SD > (266) shots available
Transcend 2gig SD > (266) shots available

Thanks everyone for your input I apriciate them.

regards
rom

I also looked at the manual and tried to approximate the number of available shots using the 1gig example.

For Large/Fine it says 129 shots (1gig SD)
For Large/Fine 129 x 2 = 258 shots approximated (2gig SD)
For Large/Fine 258 x 2 = 516 shots approximated (4gig SD)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #36375 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.