Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #36355
View in linear mode

Subject: "Wide Angle lens for D40" Previous topic | Next topic
Hoylake Registered since 16th Jan 2009Sat 17-Jan-09 01:47 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Wide Angle lens for D40"

US

What's the best Wide angle, non-fisheye lens for my D40? I want to use it for interior shots of our real estate listings as well as landscape pix.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Wide Angle lens for D40
MotoMannequin Moderator
17th Jan 2009
CharlieS
17th Jan 2009
edmun
17th Jan 2009
spanglerokapi Silver Member
18th Jan 2009
mtpenmaker
19th Jan 2009

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Sat 17-Jan-09 03:08 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Wide Angle lens for D40"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

There are several good ones, the most respected are these:
Nikkor 12-24mm f/4 ($900)
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 ($450)
Tokina 12-24mm f/4 II ($450)

Both the Sigma & Tokina are considered about as good as the Nikkor at half the price. The one I'd recommend is the Sigma 10-20 for its ability to go to 10mm (and it's what I personally use). There are now 2 versions of the Tokina, and only the newer (version II) will AF on D40.

Other interesting choices are Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 and Tamron 10-24 but AFAIK these don't AF on D40, but that's maybe not critical for wide angle.

There is a list of fully compatible AF lenses here:
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=152&topic_id=13319&mesg_id=13319&page=

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

CharlieS Registered since 29th Aug 2007Sat 17-Jan-09 10:55 PM
1729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Wide Angle lens for D40"
In response to Reply # 1

US

The sigma 10-20 will focus on your D40 and does some pretty impressive images. (I shoot with a D80, and though i havnt shot any on the D40, my wife's used it on her 40 some.)
Here's a thread going in the 3rd party lens forum that has a few comments about the sigma.

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=157&topic_id=29151&mesg_id=29151&page=

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Sat 17-Jan-09 11:00 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Wide Angle lens for D40"
In response to Reply # 2

eugene, US

New Tamron is getting some impressive reviews.

I was going to get it but a friend sold me his never on a camera Sigma for a very good price. the Sigmas 10-20 is stunning

ledmun

spanglerokapi Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2008Sun 18-Jan-09 12:11 PM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Wide Angle lens for D40"
In response to Reply # 0

Aylesbury, GB

The Sigma 10-20mm is a stunning lens is excellent value for money and has proved indespensible on my travels, buy it!

Andrew (Aylesbury UK)

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Mon 19-Jan-09 01:40 AM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Wide Angle lens for D40"
In response to Reply # 0

Billings, US

I think you will find that most of the ultra-wides have their advocates and are all quite good, at least as long as you stick with Nikon, Sigma, Tamron and Tokina. The Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 is on my list because everything I've read indicates that it is the best of the third party ultra-wides and owners seem very pleased with it. I will trade away 1mm of focal length at the wide end for a faster, constant aperture lens. The longer end only being 16mm is also not a problem since my "normal" lens is a Tamron 17-50.

Gerry Rhoades
www.montanapens.com
My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #36355 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.