nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #36079
View in linear mode

Subject: "will a SB-80DX work on my D60" Previous topic | Next topic
lilphil   US  Registered since 11th Jan 2009 Sun 11-Jan-09 08:52 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"will a SB-80DX work on my D60"

I have an opportunity to buy a SB-80DX for my d60 and im just wondering if this would be a compatible speedlight..would there be any drawback

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: will a SB-80DX work on my D60 avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
11th Jan 2009
Reply message RE: will a SB-80DX work on my D60 lilphil
11th Jan 2009
Reply message RE: will a SB-80DX work on my D60 MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
11th Jan 2009
11th Jan 2009
     Reply message RE: will a SB-80DX work on my D60 blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
12th Jan 2009
12th Jan 2009
               Reply message RE: will a SB-80DX work on my D60 blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
12th Jan 2009

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Rancho Cordova, US  Charter Member Sun 11-Jan-09 08:56 PM
18629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: will a SB-80DX work on my D60"
In response to Reply # 0

The D60 uses I-TTL flash. The SB-80DX is a D-TTL flash so it will not provide any TTL flash metering. You can use it in Auto Flash or Manual.

What you want to use an SB-400/600/800/900 I-TTL flash.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
Just sayin' ...

lilphil   US  Registered since 11th Jan 2009 Sun 11-Jan-09 09:33 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: will a SB-80DX work on my D60"
In response to Reply # 1

so you think this would be a bad purchase for a beginer

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas   US  Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007 Sun 11-Jan-09 09:06 PM
27447 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: will a SB-80DX work on my D60"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Phillip,

Welcome to Nikonians!
As Anthony said the SB-80DX will work with your D60 with the flash in Non-TTL Auto mode or Manual Flash mode. This means that you must set the exposure mode on your D60 to Manual (M) exposure mode, to use the SB-80DX with your camera. In other words the SB-80DX will not support any Auto exposure mode on your D60! Good Luck!

Best Regards,
Marty

lilphil   US  Registered since 11th Jan 2009 Sun 11-Jan-09 09:38 PM
#4. "RE: will a SB-80DX work on my D60"
In response to Reply # 2

would this still be a useful tool? and can it be used by a remote..It is a used piece and the nikon manual really dont answer these questions..I can get the light for 70.00

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas   Richmond, US  Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004 Mon 12-Jan-09 04:22 AM
27003 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: will a SB-80DX work on my D60"
In response to Reply # 4

For a beginner, you really need to think in other directions. Yes, it can be made to work. It can, in some cases, be made to be useful. It can be used as a remote, but only in limited cases. Worse yet, it's hard to tell in advance when the combination will work well and when it won't. Forget the fact that it's only $70, it will be frustrating.

Why: it doesn't work in through-the-lens flash metering mode. So you can't just plug-and-play as you can with the later flash units.

Instead, you can use the Auto mode. But instead of using the meter sensor in the camera that sees what the lens sees, it uses a DIFFERENT sensor on the front of the flash. It sees a fixed field of view, generally something about what a 35mm lens sees on a DX camera. If your zoom setting is something else, it will meter something different than what the camera sees. Moreover, it averages. The camera meters in different ways: matrix, spot or center-weighted. I don't think that auto mode uses the D (distance) function from the lens, either.

It can be used as a remote in SU-4 mode. In this mode, it will fire when another flash - of any sort or any owner - goes off. This is particularly problematic with your onboard flash, because it uses a metering method called preflash. When you trip the shutter, the onboard flash fires once at low power, which is then used to meter the flash. Then it runs the shutter and fires the flash a second time, this time during the exposure. Great, except that the preflash will fire the SU-4 remote. When the real exposure comes a few milliseconds later, the SU-4 will fire again. The only problem is that it won't have recycled yet, so it will contribute almost nothing to the actual exposure. (Even though it LOOKS like it is doing what it's supposed to, at least to the human eye.) You can work around this problem by also setting the built-in flash to A mode, but you're just turning off one function after another, and transferring the problem of making everything work together back to YOU.

I worked like this for a while, before I could afford another flash. It was exasperating, to the point that once I gave up on digital, went out to the car and got out my - gasp - FILM camera, where all this stuff basically works together. And I shot that house on film instead of digital just because of the problems with remote flash. (To be fair, this house was problematic - it had a lot of mirrors that made placement of the flashes difficult. But I got the job done in an hour with film, even shooting extra to be sure I'd have it.)

If one is experienced with flash, and has done a fair amount of work with remotes and/or manual flash in the past, fine. For a beginner, save up another $100 and get an SB-600 instead.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

lilphil   US  Registered since 11th Jan 2009 Mon 12-Jan-09 05:19 AM
#6. "RE: will a SB-80DX work on my D60"
In response to Reply # 5

thanks for the advice I will take it to heart and do what you say..I am really having a hard time as I have been shooting a N70 for years now.. All things dont necessarily work with others..I hope i figure it out..By the way your pics are great

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas   Richmond, US  Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004 Mon 12-Jan-09 06:30 AM
27003 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: will a SB-80DX work on my D60"
In response to Reply # 6

> I am really having a hard time as I have been shooting a N70 for years now.

Flash changed more than most other things did. The biggest problem was that the film cameras metered flash during exposure - from the light being reflected off the film emulsion itself. Digital sensors have antialiasing glass on top of them - so the old system would not work any more, and that led to the preflash designs.

Then Nikon completely rebuilt the remote flash system so that the units would integrate much more tightly together. Instead of looking for a flash of light - any flash - they now send coded pulses to each other to exchange information. It's really much more sophisticated now. For example, I can rotate a dial on the flash sitting on my camera and six or eight other remotes will change their settings. But this isn't compatible with the older units.

> All things dont necessarily work with others.

They usually do work in some limited modes, or with some restrictions, which is better than what some other brands do. In the case of flash, the restrictions are pretty severe, and are very limiting for a beginner. I managed to deal with it for a while, and so have others. But it's definitely not the sort of thing that a beginner wants to wrestle with. And if one is experienced with this, all it takes is one time using the newer stuff and you're hooked.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #36079 Previous topic | Next topic