nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #35772
View in linear mode

Subject: ""auto" ISO" Previous topic | Next topic
wingsofthewind Registered since 07th Jul 2008Sun 04-Jan-09 11:07 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
""auto" ISO"

US

Hello,

I have a quick question about ISO settings on my D40X. I usually have it set to 100, the lowest setting. This could be a rookie move, I'm not sure if there are times when I should be pumping it up. I don't like that grainy look.

Many times when I take a picture and look back to review it the info will show that ISO was actually raised to 400 or 500, sometimes an odd number like 320. Usually the number will be shown in red when it has been raised by the camera.

Why is this, when I supposedly have restricted it to 100?

Thank you!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

JFHughes08088 Registered since 03rd Oct 2008Sun 04-Jan-09 11:26 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: "auto" ISO"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 04-Jan-09 11:29 PM by JFHughes08088

Tabernacle, US

If ISO is set to auto, it will use the ISO you have set, unless you select a faster than needed shutter speed. In that instance, ISO will automatically bump up to give proper exposure using the shutter speed you have selected. With auto ISO selected, think of your it as "lowest as long as proper exposure can be achieved....", If you turn off auto ISO, you will then "lock" at your selection. With ISO "locked", you could underexpose if shutter is too fast.

I wouldn't worry about grain until you get into ISO 800 or more. Even them, D40 and D40X do as good job at mimizing grain at high ISO

jku Registered since 28th Oct 2005Sun 04-Jan-09 11:36 PM
1550 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: "auto" ISO"
In response to Reply # 0

UK

The scenario you have described indicates that you have set Auto ISO 'ON'. When Auto ISO is set to 'ON', any ISO setting that you set 'manually' (100 in your case) will be used if the shooting condition allows it. For example, if you have set your shooting mode to 'Aperture Priority' (A Mode), the apperture you have set will be used. Let's say this is f5.6. The camera will set the shutter speed accordingly. When you set the ISO to Auto, you are also asked to set the minimum shutter speed when the Auto ISO will kick in. Say you have set the a minimum shutter speed of 1/60 seconds. When the lighting conditions demand a lower shutter speed than 1/60s, the camera will increase the ISO to the require level for correct exposure. Hope this is not as clear as muck?

john

joekidd Registered since 21st Apr 2007Mon 05-Jan-09 12:52 AM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: "auto" ISO"
In response to Reply # 0

US

It's true that the lower the ISO the lower the noise (aka graininess), but when the aperture is wide open and the shutter speed is slower than practicle, then ISO has to be raised to get the proper exposure. Auto ISO can be useful at times, like capturing a snapshot that may have been missed during manual adjustment, or underexposed, or blurred otherwise. It can also assure good exposure (within reason) in Manual mode when you want to use a specific aperture and shutter speed. Auto ISO can also select settings between the full stops, like jumping from ISO 200 to 320 instead of 400.

joekidd

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Mon 05-Jan-09 01:45 PM
9681 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: "auto" ISO"
In response to Reply # 0

Vancouver (WA USA not Canada), US

Jordan,

FYI, ISO Auto can set ISO in step 1/2 the size of your current step setting.
So if you're set for the default 1/3EV step size then ISO Auto can set ISO in steps of 1/6EV.
So, you can see ISO values that you would never be able to set directly.

Bill

Visit me at My site

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #35772 Previous topic | Next topic