nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #35613
View in linear mode

Subject: "Will the D40 be replaced soon?" Previous topic | Next topic
oliwoods1 Registered since 29th Dec 2008Fri 02-Jan-09 11:07 AM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Will the D40 be replaced soon?"

UK

Hi!

I am 16 and have been saving up for a VERY long time to buy a DSLR, the D40 seems to be the best option at the moment.

In the UK it currently costs £225 ($330), is it at all likely that Nikon will bring out a better DSLR in this price bracket any time soon? I don't want to invest in the D40 to then find if i had have waited another week or so I could have got a better camera?

TIA, I also apologize in advance if this is un-answerable, stupid or in the wrong section!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Will the D40 be replaced soon?
edmun
02nd Jan 2009
oliwoods1
02nd Jan 2009
JFHughes08088
02nd Jan 2009
revgant
02nd Jan 2009
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
02nd Jan 2009
joekidd
02nd Jan 2009
02nd Jan 2009
mdholland Silver Member
02nd Jan 2009
oliwoods1
02nd Jan 2009
hwdx347
02nd Jan 2009
alembicbassman
02nd Jan 2009
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
02nd Jan 2009
uncgolfr
03rd Jan 2009
mk10
04th Jan 2009
damibru
21st Jan 2009
in4apenny Silver Member
05th Jan 2009
oliwoods1
05th Jan 2009
06th Jan 2009
neddyf
06th Jan 2009
mveinot
06th Jan 2009
Reply message RE: My guess is no
Len Shepherd Gold Member
06th Jan 2009
oliwoods1
11th Jan 2009
11th Jan 2009
oliwoods1
11th Jan 2009
JFHughes08088
11th Jan 2009
memphishooter Silver Member
20th Jan 2009
oliwoods1
21st Jan 2009
FE Fan Silver Member
22nd Jan 2009

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Fri 02-Jan-09 11:19 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Will the D40 be replaced soon?"
In response to Reply # 0

eugene, US

No one ever knows when Nikon will do anything.

Nikon has a 18 month life span of models.

ledmun

oliwoods1 Registered since 29th Dec 2008Fri 02-Jan-09 01:40 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Will the D40 be replaced soon?"
In response to Reply # 1

UK

Ok, thanks

Hasn't the D40 been out for about 18 months?

Also, is the D60 a D40 replacement?

JFHughes08088 Registered since 03rd Oct 2008Fri 02-Jan-09 03:16 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Will the D40 be replaced soon?"
In response to Reply # 2
Sat 03-Jan-09 05:17 PM by JFHughes08088

Tabernacle, US

oliwoods1

First, don't worry about thinking your post is in the wrong place, That is what this forum if for. It helps everyone learn from the experience of others.

The D60 replaced the D40X, which was a 10 mp version of the D40. To answer your question directly, Nikon does not announce when a model is discontinued until the discontinue it. No advance notice given.

It is reasonable to believe that at some point in the nearer future, the D40 will be replaced with something (it's been out since late 2006). Trust me when I tell you - You will drive yourself crazy trying to time the purchase. There is no "perfect" time. Jump in, enjoy the purchase, learn as much as you can and proceed from there.

revgant Registered since 22nd Nov 2008Fri 02-Jan-09 03:36 PM
49 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Will the D40 be replaced soon?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

@ 16, invest in your education.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 02-Jan-09 04:20 PM
26897 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Will the D40 be replaced soon?"
In response to Reply # 5

Richmond, US

suppose photography is his education? Or perhaps his family has already assured him that education is provided?Most of that is none of our business. As such I think that the original question was entirely reasonable.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

joekidd Registered since 21st Apr 2007Fri 02-Jan-09 03:20 PM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Will the D40 be replaced soon?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

The D40 was released in late 2006 and apparently it's still selling like hotcakes, which says a lot for the camera...it's a great SLR at a great price. I believe the D40x and D60 have nearly the same body as the D40 but with 10MP, a few added features and a higher price. The D90 is a substantial step up from the 3. IMO you can't go wrong buying the D40 if it fits your needs and budget.

joekidd

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 02-Jan-09 04:28 PM
26897 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: Will the D40 be replaced soon?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

If you're on a very tight budget, a d40 is your best bet in a new camera. But also consider used gear too - it's often a far better investment. The problem with waiting for "the next one" is that there's always a next one. Fortunately they keep working even after their successors are out. I for one can barely manage to get the last model - but somehow I still do OK with the images. In fact, every single one of my cameras is discontinued and "obsolete."

_____

mdholland Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2008Fri 02-Jan-09 04:40 PM
169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Will the D40 be replaced soon?"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Do not worry about the D40 going obsolete. It is a very good camera and will take excellent photos whether they still make it or not. Actually, the advantage of it eventually going obsolete is that you could then get a used one for less cost! Get the D40, then get an SB600 strobe. If you can, buy them used. The reason I suggest the SB600 is that the D40 with the kit lens is not useable at night without a flash. The SB600 can be used with Nikon's CLS system which you can't use yet, but if you eventually upgrade to a D80 or higher, you could then use it with CLS and take off camera shots wirelessly. Cool.

oliwoods1 Registered since 29th Dec 2008Fri 02-Jan-09 07:19 PM
#9. "RE: Will the D40 be replaced soon?"
In response to Reply # 8

UK

Lots of great advice, thanks!

I will continue saving for the D40 and then perhaps a better flash

in response to the education comments i'm not entirely sure what you mean, education is free in the UK?

hwdx347 Basic MemberFri 02-Jan-09 07:58 PM
6273 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Will the D40 be replaced soon?"
In response to Reply # 9

Maumelle, US

Most Americans don't realise that education is free in the U.K. Have a great time at Uni in two years and enjoy your camera.

Hedley
Originally from Merthyr Tydfil, Wales -- now in Arkansas

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

alembicbassman Registered since 30th Oct 2004Fri 02-Jan-09 08:26 PM
1331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Will the D40 be replaced soon?"
In response to Reply # 10

The North, UK

Buy a D40 now and in 2 years time buy a D90 just when it's about to be replaced.

Jessops closed out the Nikon D80 at £393 with the 18-55mm VR lens as a kit.

This camera sold (body only) for £599 at launch in 2006, which is about what the D90 now sells for.

Any new camera will be more expensive than the one it replaces.

The D40 is about as cheap as it'll get now the pound is so weak. Imports will now cost more, so new stocks will be higher priced.

£225 for the kit is a great price. I paid £270 for mine last year.

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberFri 02-Jan-09 08:38 PM
35231 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Will the D40 be replaced soon?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 02-Jan-09 08:48 PM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

The D40 was introduced in 2006 and replaced by the D40x in 2007; then by the D60 in 2008.
It is immaterial in many regards.
The D40 remains a great camera producing excellent results.
If you wait for the next camera to come in, you will always be waiting.
They get replaced faster than car models.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

uncgolfr Registered since 25th Aug 2008Sat 03-Jan-09 04:27 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Will the D40 be replaced soon?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I bought a D60 online in August - then was momentarily a bit dismayed to learn that Nikon has planned a D60x to upgrade the D60 after the beginning of 2009. After a bit of thought on this, I remembered I had bought what I wanted, and am still quite happy with it. New features on a D60x will not improve what I wanted the camera for in the first place! Lenses might improve it but my 18-135mm does just about everything I want except indoor sports.

Waiting around for upgrades or new models makes no sense, as someone else said, so just be sure the D40 has what you want and go for it. On this forum, owners of D40s all appear to be quite loyal to it and satisfied with it.

Have you looked into online lower cost purchase options such as eBay and PriceScan.com? You may well be able to save a bit by playing the auctions - just make sure you buy with a valid warranty. I did this and saved about 30% on the list costs.

mk10 Registered since 04th Jan 2009Sun 04-Jan-09 04:42 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Will the D40 be replaced soon?"
In response to Reply # 0

CY

Digital cameras "improve" with every upgrade. 6 megapixels are enough for A3+ prints, so more MP is not a reason to wait. New features though (video on a D90...) might be useful. So a digital camera can be considered disposable, which film cameras were/are not!

The investment is in the lenses. Apart from AFS and VR, glass is glass.

The only reason not to consider a D40 now, is if you will need lenses that don't come in AFS form now, to be able to autofocus. Then again, the only current option is the twice-as-expensive D90. D50/70 are not as good cameras as the D40....

With such a low current price I would get the D40 or D60 (VR kit lens, better for manual focus...) now, make lots of photographs and enjoy!

damibru Registered since 14th Apr 2006Wed 21-Jan-09 08:35 PM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Will the D40 be replaced soon?"
In response to Reply # 14

US

D50/70 are not as good cameras as the
>D40....

That of course...is a matter of perspective. I love it how my D50 has the AF motor build inside. Now I can can autofocus with the tack sharp/inexpensive 50 1.8.

"Give me a flash big enough, and I shall light up the world!" ~damibru~

in4apenny Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2008Mon 05-Jan-09 03:10 AM
257 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Will the D40 be replaced soon?"
In response to Reply # 0

St. Paul, US

A friend advised me to jump in and get experience. I don't know much about the D40, and am trying to get a handle on the D50. My advice is don't worry about another model replacing it, take pictures and learn all of the capabilities of the camera and by the time you have mastered it you will probably be hoping for new camera to come out. If I am not mistaken one thing nice about Nikon you can keep your lenses and use them if you upgrade.

Ps. If you take a really great picture, does it matter if the camera is slightly obsolete

The value of wisdom is in its retention and disbursment

oliwoods1 Registered since 29th Dec 2008Mon 05-Jan-09 04:04 PM
#16. "RE: Will the D40 be replaced soon?"
In response to Reply # 15

UK

The more i read it seems that the camera is unimportant, its the bit behind it that matters.

I think I will definitely get the D40, its the cheapest but perfectly good enough.

My Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/oliwoods/

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 06-Jan-09 12:34 AM
#17. "RE: Will the D40 be replaced soon?"
In response to Reply # 16

Richmond, US

To a first order, yes. There is a reason that the other cameras are made, but I think most people would be surprised at just how much can be done with even the least capable modern cameras. It just takes a bit more skill to wring the most out of them.

_____

neddyf Registered since 05th Jan 2009Tue 06-Jan-09 10:31 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Will the D40 be replaced soon?"
In response to Reply # 0

UK

You will be hard pressed to get a camera better than the Nikon D40 in this price range. I just got one for xmas and it is absolutley fantastic. So user friendly, fantastic quality, great weight etc etc etc. Really - I cannot recommend it enough !!!!

mveinot Registered since 06th Jan 2009Tue 06-Jan-09 04:21 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Will the D40 be replaced soon?"
In response to Reply # 18

CA

>You will be hard pressed to get a camera better than the
>Nikon D40 in this price range. I just got one for xmas and it
>is absolutley fantastic. So user friendly, fantastic quality,
>great weight etc etc etc. Really - I cannot recommend it
>enough !!!!

My parent's got me one for xmas as well and I could not agree more with what neddy said. I can't say enough good things about the D40. Excellent, excellent camera.

Equipment List:

Nikon D40
Nikkor 18-55 kit lens
Nikkor 18-200 VRII
Nikon ML-L3 remote

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Tue 06-Jan-09 10:47 PM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: My guess is no"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, UK

It is only a guess but with the deepest recession in 50 years many will be downgrading their camera aspirations.
The D40 may only be 6MP but it is a good camera and compared to anything else Nikon (and most of the competition) it is inexpensive.
My guess is Nikon will produce the D40 for longer than if the recession had not happened.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

oliwoods1 Registered since 29th Dec 2008Sun 11-Jan-09 01:06 PM
#21. "RE: Will the D40 be replaced soon?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 11-Jan-09 01:06 PM by oliwoods1

UK

GRRRRRRRRRRRR

Nikon have just raised the price of the D40 in the UK from £225 to £244

This may not sound like a lot but it mans I can no longer afford the camera and will have to wait even longer to get even an SD card.

I am angry.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 11-Jan-09 03:34 PM
#22. "RE: Will the D40 be replaced soon?"
In response to Reply # 21

Richmond, US

> Nikon have just raised the price of the D40 in the UK from £225 to £244

That has to do with the changing currency values, rather than what might be described as greed. The yen/pound exchange rate has changed quite a lot since the price was set.

> will have to wait even longer to get even an SD card.

At least the chances are that the SD cards will come down in price over time.

_____

oliwoods1 Registered since 29th Dec 2008Sun 11-Jan-09 03:44 PM
#23. "RE: Will the D40 be replaced soon?"
In response to Reply # 22

UK

mmm, it seems to be because our pound is worthless now!

--- amazing pictures in your gallery!

JFHughes08088 Registered since 03rd Oct 2008Sun 11-Jan-09 04:39 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Will the D40 be replaced soon?"
In response to Reply # 21
Sun 11-Jan-09 04:40 PM by JFHughes08088

Tabernacle, US

Sit tight - Prices will always shift back and forth. Keep saving and when you have enough to buy at a price you see, jump in. Besides, when I was your age (a long time ago), I remember appreciating things I worked and saved for much more than somethhing that was given to me.

memphishooter Silver Member Charter MemberTue 20-Jan-09 11:34 PM
132 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Will the D40 be replaced soon?"
In response to Reply # 24

Memphis, US

If you want interchangeability among all other Nikon models, stay away from the camera that needs a lens with AF in it. Its easy enough to find a D50 or something else that uses the same lens ALL the rest of the Nikon line (except the D40, 40X, 60 and 90). They are good cameras, to be sure, but they will require a special lens, and this will limit your lens choices.

oliwoods1 Registered since 29th Dec 2008Wed 21-Jan-09 08:46 PM
#27. "RE: Will the D40 be replaced soon?"
In response to Reply # 25

UK

I bought the D40 in the end and am amazed!

Sure it doesn't autofocus with my other lenses but I inly need the 18-55 and the soon to be purchased 55-200 vr.

The main reason I bought it was because I get a 2 year warranty; I can't have that with a second hand D50 or D70s etc.

FE Fan Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2004Thu 22-Jan-09 02:17 AM
1804 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Will the D40 be replaced soon?"
In response to Reply # 27

Silver Spring, US

Oliver,

Congratulations on your new D40! I hope you have lots of fun with it!

Don't for get to purchase the most important accessory - a Nikonians membership...

Hope to see you around and to see some of your images.

Bart
D300s D40 F3HP FE FM2n Nikkormat FTN

Everything is a subject. Every subject has a rhythm. To feel it is the raison d'être.
The photograph is a fixed moment of such a raison d'être, which lives on in itself.
- Andre Kertesz

My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #35613 Previous topic | Next topic