Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #35281
View in linear mode

Subject: "to VR or not to VR" Previous topic | Next topic
i2castillo Registered since 26th Dec 2008Fri 26-Dec-08 04:19 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"to VR or not to VR"

US

I bought a D60 kit last october and it came with 2 nikkor lenses (18-55mm and 55-200mm AF-S DX). I wasnt really considering the VR lenses before but I heard a lot of good reviews online. I am thinking of selling both of my DX lenses and get the VR lenses. Is it worth it? I saw on ebay that they sell 18-55mm and 55-200mm VR lenses for a cheap price but its a factory demo lens... is this good?

I need some advice.. please... thanks!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: to VR or not to VR
mtpenmaker
26th Dec 2008
blw Moderator
26th Dec 2008
i2castillo
27th Dec 2008
MotoMannequin Moderator
26th Dec 2008
i2castillo
26th Dec 2008
revgant
26th Dec 2008
MotoMannequin Moderator
26th Dec 2008
i2castillo
27th Dec 2008
mtpenmaker
27th Dec 2008

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Fri 26-Dec-08 04:34 PM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: to VR or not to VR"
In response to Reply # 0

Billings, US

As I recall the D60 was only being sold with the 18-55mm VR lens, although the 55-200mm lenses weren't always VR, depended on the reseller. Used copies of the 18-55 and 55-200, VR or not, are worth much money. Nobody can tell you if a lens is a good deal or not without knowing the price, "cheap price" is not very definitive.

Gerry Rhoades
Montana Pens
www.montanapens.com
My Nikonians Gallery

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 26-Dec-08 04:56 PM
26573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: to VR or not to VR"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Whether or not VR is useful depends a lot on what sort of photography you do, but many folks do find VR quite useful. It is generally more useful on longer focal lengths than shorter ones, but there are situations where it's useful with just about any focal length.

Factory demo - is this Cameta Camera? They're a well known, highly reputable source. Usually their prices are pretty good, if not unbeatable, although nobody's perfect.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

i2castillo Registered since 26th Dec 2008Sat 27-Dec-08 12:55 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: to VR or not to VR"
In response to Reply # 2

US

thanks for the reply.. i am a newbie in photography and i usually have various subjects but i like to take portaits and landscapes... yeah its cameta... i think i will probably sell my 55-200mm and upgrade to the VR...

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Fri 26-Dec-08 05:01 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: to VR or not to VR"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

VR reduces the effect of your shaking the camera, so it's a feature that can improve your photos in some situations, specifically shooting stationary objects, handheld, in poor lighting, where the shutter becomes so slow that camera shake is visible in the photo. Because camera shake is a bigger problem with longer lenses, VR is a lot more useful on a telephoto (55-200mm) than on the standard (18-55mm) zoom.

Is it worth upgrading? Depending on how you use the lenses, probably yes for the 55-200 and probably no for the 18-55.

There aren't that many situations where you'd use an 18-55 to shoot a stationary object in low light and can't use a tripod or flash, probably museums and churches being the best application for this lens. To mitigate the cost of the VR in the 18-55, Nikon used cheaper glass (they removed the ED element you have in your 18-55) so unless you do a lot of museums and churches, I'd say don't bother with the 18-55VR.

The 55-200 is a different story, probably useful in most situations you'd use the lens, but unless your photos are showing camera shake issues, then don't expect any improvement in your pictures. You're probably better off saving more or putting all your money towards a better telephoto, like the $450 70-300 VR.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

i2castillo Registered since 26th Dec 2008Fri 26-Dec-08 05:38 PM
#4. "RE: to VR or not to VR"
In response to Reply # 3

US

thanks for your advice... would you recommend the tamron 70-300mm lens?

revgant Registered since 22nd Nov 2008Fri 26-Dec-08 05:50 PM
49 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: to VR or not to VR"
In response to Reply # 4

US

NO....

>thanks for your advice... would you recommend the tamron
>70-300mm lens?

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Fri 26-Dec-08 08:12 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: to VR or not to VR"
In response to Reply # 4

Livermore, CA, US

There are a lot of 70-300 zooms out there. Nikon has made 3 different ones in recent years, but the newest (and most expensive) VR version is in a different class than any other you'll find.

If $450 is out of your range, then the one to get is probably the Sigma 70-300 APO, but be sure you get the one with the built-in focus motor, which should run somewhere around $200. Is this better than the Nikon 55-200 VR? It depends on what you want to use it for. The Sigma 70-300 give more reach and a 1:2 macro mode, but the 55-200 is smaller, lighter, has VR and my impression is, better image quality. If you're going for wildlife or macro, I'd say get the 70-300. If you just want a general purpose lens to add more reach, then the 55-200VR is probably better.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

i2castillo Registered since 26th Dec 2008Sat 27-Dec-08 12:57 AM
#8. "RE: to VR or not to VR"
In response to Reply # 6

US

thats a very reasonable price... i just checked it out... im actually planning to take a short trip to the keys and use a good macro lens for the wildlife pics...

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Sat 27-Dec-08 10:14 PM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: to VR or not to VR"
In response to Reply # 8

Billings, US

>actually planning to use a good macro lens for the wildlife pics...

Perhaps you could explain this because this is not something the wildlife photogs would do. Are you planning to take photos of insects or photos of larger creatures like birds, snakes, etc.

Also, be aware that while the Sigma 70-300 will give you 1:2(half life size) magnification, the image quality will not be anywhere near what you would get with a dedicated macro lens. Dedicated macro lenses have very impressive image quality.

Gerry Rhoades
Montana Pens
www.montanapens.com
My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #35281 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.