Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #35268
View in linear mode

Subject: "Would a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D Lens be a 75mm Lens becasue ..." Previous topic | Next topic
rentonhighlands Registered since 17th Apr 2007Fri 26-Dec-08 04:05 AM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Would a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D Lens be a 75mm Lens becasue it is not a DX Lens"

US

I want to purchase the Nikon 50mm f/1.8D. I have a D50. My question is because this lens is not a "DX" lens then with the 1.5X factor this lens is really a 75mm lens?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Would a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D Lens be a 75mm Lens beca...
mtpenmaker
26th Dec 2008
dclarhorn Moderator
26th Dec 2008
rentonhighlands
26th Dec 2008
briantilley Moderator
26th Dec 2008
mtpenmaker
26th Dec 2008
rentonhighlands
26th Dec 2008
dclarhorn Moderator
27th Dec 2008
edmun
28th Dec 2008

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Fri 26-Dec-08 04:15 AM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Would a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D Lens be a 75mm Lens becasue it is not a DX Lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Billings, US

No. A 50mm lens is always a 50mm lens not matter what body you attach it too. What does happen is that the field of view varies depending on the size of the sensor. On cameras with the smaller sensors, everything except D3, D3x and D700, the FOV is the same as a 75mm lens on a full frame camera, but the depth of field is still that of a 50mm lens, that is deeper than a 75mm lens would be.

Gerry Rhoades
Montana Pens
www.montanapens.com
My Nikonians Gallery

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002Fri 26-Dec-08 01:55 PM
14170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Would a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D Lens be a 75mm Lens becasue it is not a DX Lens"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 26-Dec-08 01:56 PM by dclarhorn

Berwyn Heights, US

Like Gerry said. In other words, ALWAYS use the 1.5x crop factor with whatever lens you put on your D50, DX or otherwise.

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

rentonhighlands Registered since 17th Apr 2007Fri 26-Dec-08 04:20 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Would a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D Lens be a 75mm Lens becasue it is not a DX Lens"
In response to Reply # 2

US

A 2nd question: I currently have a nikkor 28-80mm 3.3-5.6 G and this would include the 50mm. What is going to be the difference if I take a picture at 50mm with my current lens or use the 50mm 1.8?

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 26-Dec-08 04:25 PM
28668 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Would a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D Lens be a 75mm Lens becasue it is not a DX Lens"
In response to Reply # 3

Paignton, GB

Apart from any potential variation in sharpness, contrast and distortion due to the different optical design of the two lenses, images taken at the same aperture would look just the same.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Fri 26-Dec-08 04:29 PM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Would a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D Lens be a 75mm Lens becasue it is not a DX Lens"
In response to Reply # 3

Billings, US

The biggest difference will be image quality. The 50mm f/1.8 is a very sharp lens, considerably better than the 28-80. The other difference is speed. The 50mm f/1.8 is about 2 fulls stops faster than the 28mm end of the zoom and probably even more than 2 stops at 50mm. Two stops is 4X as much light.

Gerry Rhoades
Montana Pens
www.montanapens.com
My Nikonians Gallery

rentonhighlands Registered since 17th Apr 2007Fri 26-Dec-08 06:23 PM
#6. "RE: Would a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D Lens be a 75mm Lens becasue it is not a DX Lens"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Thank-you for answering my questions. I am going to purchase a 50mm 1.8 and try it.

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002Sat 27-Dec-08 11:59 AM
14170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Would a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D Lens be a 75mm Lens becasue it is not a DX Lens"
In response to Reply # 6

Berwyn Heights, US

When trying it out, keep in mind that if you shoot wide open at 1.8, you have a lot less depth of field. Some people mistake the out of focus areas for poor lens performance. Wide open is good for isolating your subject from its surroundings. For other shots, like landscapes or travel when you want everything in focus, be sure to stop down to f8 or more.

For the price, the 50mm 1.8 is a great performer and value. I have one in my bag.

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Sun 28-Dec-08 01:05 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Would a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D Lens be a 75mm Lens becasue it is not a DX Lens"
In response to Reply # 7

eugene, US

Some zoom lens shift focal as they focus so when you compare a 50 mm prime with a zoom at 50 mm you can get different angles of view.

(some other prime lens also use this trick

ledmun

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #35268 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.