Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #35254
View in linear mode

Subject: "When you use your camera, do you know what settings are..." Previous topic | Next topic
realized Registered since 25th Dec 2008Thu 25-Dec-08 09:46 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"When you use your camera, do you know what settings are perfect for the shot???"

Newport Beach, US

I purchased myself a D60 and am far from figuring it out, but i am slowley learning.

When you guys are about to take a picture, do you know in your mind what settings you need to apply to get that perfect shot? i.e frame, iso, etc.

Or do you play and play and play till you finally get it?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: When you use your camera, do you know what settings...
mtpenmaker
26th Dec 2008
FE Fan Silver Member
26th Dec 2008
dclarhorn Moderator
26th Dec 2008
blw Moderator
26th Dec 2008
realized
27th Dec 2008
dclarhorn Moderator
27th Dec 2008

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Fri 26-Dec-08 03:58 AM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: When you use your camera, do you know what settings are perfect for the shot???"
In response to Reply # 0

Billings, US

I'm not sure what you mean by "frame." If you mean composition, when I see something I usually have an idea of how I want to compose it and what I want the photo to look like. For instance, when shooting moving water, I always want as slow a shutter speed as possible to give the water a "silky" appearance. I also know if I want to isolate something, like a flower, against an out of focus background or if I want the entire scene in focus. I generally use the slowest ISO I can, which is 100 on my D200 and was 200 when I used a D40. There are times when, after setting up the camera, I just can't get a composition that I want and the photo is never taken. Normally if I get a composition that works, the exposure is the easy part.

Gerry Rhoades
Montana Pens
www.montanapens.com
My Nikonians Gallery

FE Fan Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2004Fri 26-Dec-08 01:18 PM
1804 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: When you use your camera, do you know what settings are perfect for the shot???"
In response to Reply # 0

Silver Spring, US

I generally select ISO and auto exposure mode well in advance of shooting. If I know that I'm going to be shooting in some low light conditions, I might bump up the ISO a bit. I usually use Aperture Priority (or Manual with manual focus lenses). I will change the specific exposure settings (f stop and shutter speed) in anticipation of the specific lighting conditions for each shot and what I want to achieve creatively (depth of field, freezing notion, etc.).

Some settings I rarely change. For example, I usually keep the AF mode the same (Single Servo)and I usually leave white balance on auto, since I shoot RAW and it's easy to make minor white balance corrections in post processing. I usually keep some negative exposure compensation dialed in (but I sometimes change it for certain shots) and I will vary the flash compensation a bit from shot to shot as well when shooting with flash.

Hope this helps to give you some ideas for an approach to managing the settings on your D60...

Bart
D300s D40 F3HP FE FM2n Nikkormat FTN

Everything is a subject. Every subject has a rhythm. To feel it is the raison d'être.
The photograph is a fixed moment of such a raison d'être, which lives on in itself.
- Andre Kertesz

My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002Fri 26-Dec-08 02:07 PM
14321 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: When you use your camera, do you know what settings are perfect for the shot???"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 26-Dec-08 02:15 PM by dclarhorn

Berwyn Heights, US

The more experienced you become, the more you will know what settings you want for whatever lighting and shooting situation you're in--and the more you will want that control to make sure you get the results you want. In most cases, I visualize the shot and result I want--and set the camera accordingly--before I take the shot. Obviously, there are some candid or instantaneous shots that fall out of that controlled situation. And, there are times I like to get creative and experiment, and I'll throw any preconceived notions out the window.

In some situations, you will not get a good shot unless you plan ahead what settings you need. For example, when I shoot the processional at a wedding, I had better be prepared for the shots, lighting and movement, or I'm not going to get anything good enough for the client. And I'm not going to get another chance!

In my work, I run into all kinds of lighting and problem situations. I can't afford, like some indicate, to leave my camera on any general settings. I'm always adjusting aperture, shutterspeed, ISO, EV, AF modes and more to meet the specific demands of the conditions. One of the points with this is that, despite the wonderful technology out there, cameras still have their limitations. An experienced photographer can make better decisions and tweak the settings for better results for difficult shots.

Of course, there are casual shooters who may not have the same worries or simply aren't after the critical results more serious photographers demand, and may just leave it up to the camera or mostly use some favorite settings. There's nothing wrong with that if it suits the person. We all have our own reasons and standards for doing photography.

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 26-Dec-08 05:16 PM
26649 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: When you use your camera, do you know what settings are perfect for the shot???"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Generally speaking I have a pretty clear idea of what I'm trying to have for a result, and with some experience it's definitely the case that I have a pretty good idea of how to go about producing that result with the various settings.

But I'd be kidding you (or worse) to say that I get it perfect - or even "right" the first time. In fact, I am a pretty slow worker in a lot of the types of photography, and I often "work" the scene pretty hard. As a result, I often have 4, 7 even 20 frames from a single spot, with different settings (more DOF? Less? Stronger side light? Use a reflector instead?) and/or different framing (landscape? portrait?) and sometimes even different exposure. I never did much of this with film, when it cost $$ by the frame, but now that flash memory is essentially unlimited (I have enough to shoot for a couple of days) and storage is not a serious limitation, it's a good way to experiment and also to get the best result.

Of course, in other disciplines - sports being perhaps the most notable example - you just have to be prepared in advance, or else you don't get the shot.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

realized Registered since 25th Dec 2008Sat 27-Dec-08 05:17 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: When you use your camera, do you know what settings are perfect for the shot???"
In response to Reply # 0

Newport Beach, US

Thanks guys for your responses, I have a LOT to learn, but eventually i will get there.

I just purchased my copy of "understanding exposure" and so far its teaching me a LOT.

I purchased my very first camera the other day (D60), this is my first and only camera, i have never even had a point-n-shoot lol.

It was because i fell in love with a D40 by accident when i took a picture that was great.. (its being blown up and framed now) since then , i have been addicted.

But that shot was lucky.. i know this. But no worries, eventually i will be able to duplicate it =)

today i went out and shot 500 pictures, of 8 things.. all with differnt settings to see how it came out etc..

i will (hopefully) eventually get it!

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002Sat 27-Dec-08 11:53 AM
14321 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: When you use your camera, do you know what settings are perfect for the shot???"
In response to Reply # 5

Berwyn Heights, US

You'll get it. Getting out, shooting and experimenting, is the best way to learn. You can read, and that's good, but it doesn't give you the instincts to react to a situation and adjust while you're doing it. Practice and experience will do that. And don't discount those lucky shots. After 30 years of shooting, I still hope for some of those.

It won't happen overnight, but enjoy the journey!

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #35254 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.