Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #34959
View in linear mode

Subject: " for d60: is there any good telephoto zoom lens for und..." Previous topic | Next topic
bud12 Registered since 13th Oct 2008Wed 17-Dec-08 01:57 AM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
" for d60: is there any good telephoto zoom lens for under $500"
Sat 20-Dec-08 11:01 AM by Asgard

White Plains, US

Jo

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: for d60: is there any good telephoto zoom lens for...
MEMcD Moderator
17th Dec 2008
blw Moderator
17th Dec 2008
bud12
18th Dec 2008
ruca2k8
18th Dec 2008
woodworker5112
18th Dec 2008
bud12
18th Dec 2008
mtpenmaker
18th Dec 2008
gryphon1911
18th Dec 2008
Jaybird28
20th Dec 2008
fbx
20th Dec 2008

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 17-Dec-08 02:25 AM
25745 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: for d60: is there any good telephoto zoom lens for under $500"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Jo,

The Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR ($469.95 US). This lens should be your first choice. Make sure that you get the AF-S VR lens.
There is also a 70-300mm f/4-5.6G lens for under $200.00 US but that lens will not AF on the D60. It is also a lens built for low price not IQ (Image Quality).
There are also two models of the 55-200mm lens, the one with VR is the better of the two at (approx. $190.00 US).
How long of a zoom are you looking for?
Good Luck and Enjoy!

Best Regards,
Marty

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 17-Dec-08 02:50 AM
26594 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: for d60: is there any good telephoto zoom lens for under $500"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

What Marty said... but let's talk a little more about what sort of thing you want to do with a telephoto. The ones cited are great lenses but only do 70% of the tasks out there. Let's be sure that you aren't in the other 30%. (Probably if you are, you won't like the price tag, but that's better than spending $500 and then discovering that it won't do what you want.)

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

bud12 Registered since 13th Oct 2008Thu 18-Dec-08 02:55 AM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: for d60: is there any good telephoto zoom lens for under $500"
In response to Reply # 2

White Plains, US

Thanks for helping me. First of all, the lens doesn't have to
be Nikon. If there is good value from other sources, I'd be
interested. The less money spent, the better. I guess it's for
flexability, and not needing to change the lens too often. I
like taking people shots primarily when I travel, landscapes
would be nice with the same lens if possible, as well as
closups of people. Am I asking too much of one lens?  
Jo

ruca2k8 Registered since 27th Feb 2008Thu 18-Dec-08 09:27 AM
284 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: for d60: is there any good telephoto zoom lens for under $500"
In response to Reply # 3

Cascais, PT

>Thanks for helping me. First of all, the lens doesn't have to
>be Nikon. If there is good value from other sources, I'd be
>interested. The less money spent, the better. I guess it's for
>flexability, and not needing to change the lens too often. I
>like taking people shots primarily when I travel, landscapes
>would be nice with the same lens if possible, as well as
>closups of people. Am I asking too much of one lens?
>Jo

Now I'm confused. You said a telephoto...

Telephotos are designed to get close (objects get magnified so something far away is "closer", like sports or wildlife).

So if you want a telephoto, you need to know how long a reach you want, since 200 or 250mm might not be enough for some applications.

For a general "all-around", the 18-200 (Nikon/Sigma) and 18-250 (Tamron) (I think there's an 18-270 as well...but check the sticky post regarding lenses at the top of the forum) might suit you, albeit at the expense of some poorer image quality and also making your current lens (if it's the 18-55) redundant.

Rui

woodworker5112 Registered since 23rd May 2008Thu 18-Dec-08 03:10 AM
297 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: for d60: is there any good telephoto zoom lens for under $500"
In response to Reply # 0

Clovis, US

Try the Tamron 18-250. Landscape wide angle, to moderate telephoto. And will AF on your Camera. 450$
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=ShowProduct&Q=&sku=536016&addedTroughType=replacementLink

Eric
D40x, Lovin' it.

bud12 Registered since 13th Oct 2008Thu 18-Dec-08 12:14 PM
#6. "RE: for d60: is there any good telephoto zoom lens for under $500"
In response to Reply # 4

White Plains, US

What about the55-200mm vr zoom? It seems to be half the price of the 70-300mm zoom. Is it much lighter, which is a big plus when I want a lens to stay on my camera much of the time? Also, will it do the job for the types of things I want it to do. Also are there comparable lenses to this from other companies than Nikon for less expense? Many thanks in advance for helping me to think this through.
Jo

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Thu 18-Dec-08 01:03 PM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: for d60: is there any good telephoto zoom lens for under $500"
In response to Reply # 6

Billings, US

How much have you actually used your camera? The reason I ask is that the kit lens, 18-55mm will do fine for the things you mentioned. An 18-105 might be better, but the 18-55 is fine for landscape, portraits and people photos, unless of course you want to photograph people that are a block away.

Gerry Rhoades
Montana Pens
www.montanapens.com
My Nikonians Gallery

gryphon1911 Registered since 16th May 2006Thu 18-Dec-08 07:26 PM
450 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: for d60: is there any good telephoto zoom lens for under $500"
In response to Reply # 7

US

I'll just throw in my 2 cents with the 55-200mm VR AF-S. It is quite a good lens and if you shop about can be found for $200 - $250.

Andrew
D300, D50, N90s

http://www.bestlightphoto.net

Jaybird28 Registered since 15th Apr 2008Sat 20-Dec-08 03:37 AM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: for d60: is there any good telephoto zoom lens for under $500"
In response to Reply # 8

Kent, US

Santa just gave me the AF-S 70-300. I Love it. I got it on Adorama fo $449 (great site). Highly reccomend and I already have the fab 55-200 which I love

fbx Registered since 17th Dec 2008Sat 20-Dec-08 11:19 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: for d60: is there any good telephoto zoom lens for under $500"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Two Nikon possibilities I've not seen mentioned--

18-105 VR
18-135

Both very sharp but suffering some distortion. Reviews good, generally, and these are light, small lenses (i mean, as compared to the typical 18-200, 18-250, etc)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #34959 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.