Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #34786
View in linear mode

Subject: ""MUST HAVE" Lenses for a Nikon D40?" Previous topic | Next topic
jsulecki Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jun 2008Thu 11-Dec-08 07:14 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
""MUST HAVE" Lenses for a Nikon D40?"

Victor, US

Hello All!

This may have been posted before, but I was curious what you all thought re: what would be the "Must Have" lenses one would own for a Nikon D40?

Specifically, I was looking for recommendations for shooting inside/ indoors and outdoors both moving and animate objects.

Currently, I have the "standard" 18-55MM and 55-200MM AF-S VR lenses, and would like to know what I should be considering for the future or what would be a lense I currently don't have which would either be a "Must Have" or one that would "compliment" the others.

I prefer Nikkor/ nikon lenses, but would purchase Tamron or Sigma as well.

Thanks!

Jeff

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it."

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: "MUST HAVE" Lenses for a Nikon D40?
JDMils
11th Dec 2008
ruca2k8
11th Dec 2008
mtpenmaker
11th Dec 2008
greenwing Gold Member
12th Dec 2008
MotoMannequin Moderator
11th Dec 2008
shnitz
11th Dec 2008
infocusimagery
16th Dec 2008
twistedlogic
16th Dec 2008

JDMils Registered since 23rd Jul 2008Thu 11-Dec-08 08:04 PM
258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: "MUST HAVE" Lenses for a Nikon D40?"
In response to Reply # 0

AU

Everyone has different requirements Jeff. A landscaper needs lens A while a wedding photographer needs lens B. This is why we have such a large range of lens to choose from.

My next buy will be the Nikon 50mm F1.4 which auto-everythings on my D60. I "must have it" because I do a lot night shots of the family and the kit lens sucks at night.

My second buy, not for a while coz I have to save up, will be the Nikon 18-200 F2.8 because it will be my all-rounder but still have good light collection abilities.

|
+-- JDMils
|
+-- D60
+-- AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
+-- AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G
+-- HOYA 52mm Clear PRO1 DIGITAL Protector Filter DMC LPF (on the 18-55)
+-- HOYA 58mm Clear SKYLIGHT Protector Filter (on the 50)
|
+-- Navman forums at http://forums@jdmils.com
|

ruca2k8 Registered since 27th Feb 2008Thu 11-Dec-08 08:49 PM
284 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: "MUST HAVE" Lenses for a Nikon D40?"
In response to Reply # 1

Cascais, PT

>My second buy, not for a while coz I have to save up, will be
>the Nikon 18-200 F2.8 because it will be my all-rounder but
>still have good light collection abilities.

Got a link to specs of that lens?

Rui

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Thu 11-Dec-08 09:39 PM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: "MUST HAVE" Lenses for a Nikon D40?"
In response to Reply # 3

Billings, US

Yea, me too. I haven't heard of this yet. I have the Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 but it stinks in low light.

Gerry Rhoades
Montana Pens
www.montanapens.com
My Nikonians Gallery

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Fri 12-Dec-08 08:43 AM
1301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: "MUST HAVE" Lenses for a Nikon D40?"
In response to Reply # 1

Yorkshire, GB

>My next buy will be the Nikon 50mm F1.4 which auto-everythings
>on my D60. I "must have it" because I do a lot night
>shots of the family and the kit lens sucks at night.

Sigma 30mm 1.4 is worth considering. 50mm may be too narrow for the intended use.

>My second buy, not for a while coz I have to save up, will be
>the Nikon 18-200 F2.8 because it will be my all-rounder but
>still have good light collection abilities.

Don't rush the saving up. I don't think an 18-200 f2.8 will be available any time soon.

Chris

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Thu 11-Dec-08 08:44 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: "MUST HAVE" Lenses for a Nikon D40?"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

The only real "must have" lenses are the ones you already have. These pretty much cover all general purpose needs. Lenses you add will be because you've decided to branch into a photographic specialty which requries special equipment. Since I wouldn't call "inside/ indoors and outdoors both moving and animate objects" a specialization, I'd recommend for now you use your kit lenses to learn where they fall short, then buy a lens specifically to address that need.

The kit lenses are actually pretty good. You'll find you need to spend a good chunk of change to improve on them, so the wiser you can spend, the better off you'll be.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

shnitz Registered since 28th Sep 2007Thu 11-Dec-08 09:34 PM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: "MUST HAVE" Lenses for a Nikon D40?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

You have the cream-of-the-crop as far as I'm concerned. The 18-55 is a great walk-around lens. Any other lens that covers the midrange zoom will be compromising something over this. I think that the non-VR version, with its ED glass element, is better than the 18-55VR, which is a marketing gimmick so that beginners getting into photography will feel like they are getting more for their money. The VR in the 55-200, however, works very well. I have this lens myself, and the VR version is optically superior to the cheaper version of this lens. As I hope you've discovered, this will take wonderful photos.

If any of these two lenses are failing you in any way for your needs, THEN you should come back, describe how they are failing you (think about it first, make sure it isn't photographer error!) and then we will help you decide on different lenses.

Otherwise, think of what other kind of photography you would like to do:
-The 12-24 is really great for going wide. One of my old professors, a professional architecture photographer, has this lens on his camera 95% of the time (like my dad, he is bitten by the wide-angle bug, he loves the way that it makes the viewer engage the foreground vs. background).
-The 50mm f/1.4G, just released, is supposed to be amazing at taking photos at that focal length (but notice how it is at the end of one of your lens' zoom range, and at the beginning of the other. It is a focal length, that on your digital sensor, is just too long to be midrange and just too short to be telephoto). Set your 18-55 to this length, and see if you could do walking around all day without being able to zoom out without switching lenses. If so, consider this lens, as it will allow you to take pictures 4 stops faster
-Do you want to do some light nature photography? Then consider the 300mm f/4 lens. Lots of reach, with pretty good wide-open performance.
-If you want to get into macro photography, get the 105mmVR micro. This lens can also double as a portrait lens if you are outside, as you will be zoomed in quite a bit with this focal length (until then, use your 55-200 as a portrait lens, it makes beautiful headshots!)

infocusimagery Registered since 08th Dec 2008Tue 16-Dec-08 11:55 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: "MUST HAVE" Lenses for a Nikon D40?"
In response to Reply # 0

Thunder Bay, CA

I just got the new Tamron 18-270mm and it is a tremendous all-in-one lens. I'm also a fan of Nikkor lenses and have the 18-55mm as well as the 55-200mm. The Tamron makes both of them obsolete.
A great lens for the D40.
More here...
http://infocusimagery.blogspot.com/2008/12/new-toys.html

twistedlogic Registered since 07th Apr 2008Tue 16-Dec-08 01:45 PM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: "MUST HAVE" Lenses for a Nikon D40?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 16-Dec-08 01:46 PM by twistedlogic

US

Lets see, must have lenses:

30mm F1.4
50mm F1.4
85mm F1.4
12-24mm f/4.0
18-50mm F2.8
70-200mm F2.8 VR
200-400 F4.0 VR

almost forgot
Sigma APO 200mm - 500mm f/2.8 / 400-1000mm f/5.6

I'm sure there's a few more, but I could live with these, .

In all seriousness you should use your current lenses to find out what you need. If your taking a lot of shots indoors of moving objects, my suggestion would to try a SB-600 or SB-800/900 out.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #34786 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.