nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #342
View in linear mode

Subject: "Flash gun for D50" Previous topic | Next topic
Bobaro Registered since 05th Nov 2005Mon 07-Nov-05 04:10 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Flash gun for D50"

Bolton - Nr Manchester, UK

Hi,
I am a newie to this forum, and also to dSLR (So, please forgive me).
Very recently I purchased my first dSLR - the D50 kit.
Thus far, I have nothing but praise for it. The assistant in the shop said that the only flash gun you can use on the D50 is a Nikon dedicated flash.
I guess that I will have to start saving up for one.
What I would like to know is there a cheaper basic alternative (as I do not want to damage the camera)
Thanking you in anticipation.

Bob (UK).

...what does an occasional table do the rest of the time?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberMon 07-Nov-05 05:20 PM
18629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Flash gun for D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

Bob, Welcome to Nikonians!

The SB-800 or the SB-600 are the Nikon dedicated flashes what will provide I-TTL flash metering with your camera.

Metz have the 54AF-1 flash, $290 (- $20 rebate). The SB-600 is $185 and the SB-800 is $320. The SB-800 is a top of the line flash that can do quite a lot.*

Withe the Metz more expensive than the SB-600, I'd give the SB-600 a look if I were on a budget. Between the Metz and Nikon SB-800, I'd spend a little more and get the Nikon dedicated SB-800.

*These prices are for Nikon USA products from B&H's website as of this post.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
"Eliminate the unnecessary and focus on the substance." (Tommy Ramone of the Ramones)

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

sillyconguru Registered since 31st Oct 2005Mon 07-Nov-05 07:12 PM
1915 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Flash gun for D50"
In response to Reply # 1

UK

Sigma also have a i-TTL compatible flashgun.

I use an old Nikon-dedicated flashgun (not Nikon manufacture); it doesn't allow TTL flash metering, but is works OK as an auto-sensor flash. The sync voltage is quite low (about 3 volts), so it is perfectly safe to use. Aperture choice is limited with this type of flash (only 3 settings per ISO), but it does the job until I can justify a SB-600.

Bobaro Registered since 05th Nov 2005Wed 09-Nov-05 04:52 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Flash gun for D50"
In response to Reply # 2

Bolton - Nr Manchester, UK

Dear avm247 and Sillyconguru,

Many thanks for your kind advice, it is appreciated.

Thank you.

Bob.

...what does an occasional table do the rest of the time?

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #342 Previous topic | Next topic