Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #34
View in linear mode

Subject: "D50 questions" Previous topic | Next topic
AristonCC Registered since 28th Oct 2005Fri 28-Oct-05 10:08 PM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D50 questions"

Highland, US

1st Question:

Does anyone know why the D50 (and D70 for that matter) are limited to ISO200? I sent an email to Nikon, but haven't gotten a response. I've heard from several people that this is a hurting point for Nikon. I'm still quite new to DSLRs so I've been merrily shooting at ISO200 on auto-mode for the past few days since I bought the camera.

Has anyone felt restricted because of the ISO limitation?

2nd Question:

What is the best software for the Mac for working with NEF files? I have Photoshop CS2, and have heard of a plug-in, but also heard that all it does is unlock the white balance information. I'd love to shoot in RAW, but don't want to have to use the Nikon software. I found one other piece of software that says it can work the D50 RAW files, but it's only for the PC (yuck!). Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Ariston Collander
http://www.aristonphotography.com
Living History Events and Costume Portraiture

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D50 questions
BJNicholls Gold Member
28th Oct 2005
edmun
28th Oct 2005
BJNicholls Gold Member
29th Oct 2005
edmun
29th Oct 2005
sebright Silver Member
25th Nov 2005
K1W1
25th Nov 2005
ABQ_G35
25th Nov 2005
sebright Silver Member
26th Nov 2005
sebright Silver Member
02nd Dec 2005

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberFri 28-Oct-05 11:13 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D50 questions"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

The "why" is that ISO 200 is the base sensitivity of the sensor.

Yes, I would love to have ISO 100 or even 50, especially with studio lights. I'm expecting ISO 100 from the D200, although that's not a leaked specification.

No converter other than Nikon capture honors all the in-camera settings. That doesn't mean that you can't do great conversions with other software. But if you absolutely want to have the "as shot" camera settings be your raw processing starting point, the only converter you can use is Nikon Capture.

CS2 Camera Raw offers a better interface, faster processing and much better batch workflow. It will honor the "as shot" white balance, but not settings for saturation, tone, etc. Other converters have various advantages. Most let you set up conversion defaults that you can make very similar to the in-camera settings.

Check the image processing forum for more info on converters. I suggest you pick up Real World Camera Raw by Bruce Fraser (the CS2) version before you spend money on Nikon Capture. I have both. I use Capture rarely.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Fri 28-Oct-05 11:27 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D50 questions"
In response to Reply # 1

eugene, US

If the camera had ISO 100 then you would have people complaining it did not have ISO 25.

I find no reason to have a lower ISO. I can use ND filters or turn my studio light down up to five stops or gel them or back them up.

I suspect that the 4 stop range of the camera may also be a function of other electronic parts.

ledmun

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberSat 29-Oct-05 05:28 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D50 questions"
In response to Reply # 2

Salt Lake City, US

I use ND filters too. But that makes composing and focusing difficult without removing the filter (the finder's already pretty dark using only modeling lights). It's a hassle if you do much studio work.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Sat 29-Oct-05 12:50 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D50 questions"
In response to Reply # 3

eugene, US

I was thinking about maybe the D70 has a 8 bit processor in it and not a 16 bit converter and that may be the reason to have a 4 stop ISO range. So they chose 200 - 1600.

ledmun

sebright Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 25-Nov-05 04:43 AM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D50 questions"
In response to Reply # 0

Worthington, US

I am a newbie to a D50 and I had the same problem. I use Max OSX 10.3.9 and 104.3. I found a download site on Nikon's Website and downloaded Nikon view 6 and two upgrades (6.2.5 and 6.2.6). Once I was done with the upgrades, I found an import filter that I placed in my Adobe photoshop 7, photoshop only, file format folder (actually two files: Nikon NEF Plugin and Nikon NEF LE Plugin).

The link to the download page is:
http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_prods=42%2C44&p_pv=2.44&p_cats=185&p_cv=1.185

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Fri 25-Nov-05 06:50 AM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D50 questions"
In response to Reply # 5

Melbourne, AU

You could try Apple Aperture for Mac's. Ken Rockwell has some info on it here.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/aperture.htm

As far as the ISO 200 thing is concerned I don't see it as an issue in most circumstances. I think it's another of these situations where people say "because my film camera did this my digital should do the same".
The world has changed people just have to learn that things like ISO do not transfer exaclty between film and digital.

ABQ_G35 Registered since 25th Nov 2005Fri 25-Nov-05 04:33 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D50 questions"
In response to Reply # 5

Albuquerque, US

>I am a newbie to a D50 and I had the same problem. I use Max
>OSX 10.3.9 and 104.3. I found a download site on Nikon's
>Website and downloaded Nikon view 6 and two upgrades (6.2.5
>and 6.2.6). Once I was done with the upgrades, I found an
>import filter that I placed in my Adobe photoshop 7,
>photoshop only, file format folder (actually two files:
>Nikon NEF Plugin and Nikon NEF LE Plugin).
>
>The link to the download page is:
>http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_prods=42%2C44&p_pv=2.44&p_cats=185&p_cv=1.185
I just downloaded both these updates, 6.2.5 worked fine, but for some reason, the 6.2.6 update won't run, the 6.2.5 had 8 folders, while the .6 just has Disk 1, maybe it's not downloading properly? Also, how do you install the filter in Photoshop?

sebright Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 26-Nov-05 05:06 AM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D50 questions"
In response to Reply # 7

Worthington, US

You will need to try again with .6. I read somewhere that in that update, the D50 is supported.

In the Nikonview 6 folder is a folder called file formats. Open it and move it to the side. Now go to your Photoshop folder and look for a folder called photoshop only. Inside it look for a plug-ins folder, open it. Bring the Nikon file formats folder to the front. Now hold the option key down, and highlight both the files in this folder (the option key will allow you to duplicate the files when you drag then to the Photoshop plug-ins file formats folder.

Restart Photoshop. If this doesn't work, try moving the two files to a similar folder found in the Adobe Photoshop only folder and restart Photoshop.

I have only tried this on Photoshop 7. If it doesn't work, let me know as I have to do the same thing to CS2 at work.

sebright Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 02-Dec-05 03:22 AM
#9. "RE: D50 questions"
In response to Reply # 8

Worthington, US

I downloaded the Adobe Camera Raw 3.2 plug-in for CS2. I read another post about how it outshines the Nikon plug-in I noted in my previous post. That is an understatement! If you have CS2, you definately want the Adobe plug-in, which is available at www.adobe.com.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #34 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.