nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #33962
View in linear mode

Subject: "Wide Angle Suggestions?" Previous topic | Next topic
escrowdog Registered since 09th Feb 2008Thu 13-Nov-08 01:26 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Wide Angle Suggestions?"

US

Wondering if there is a more value oriented wide angle I can get for my D40? The only use I really have is for taking interior shots of the homes I build. A little distortion is not going to hurt anything. Mostly using the pics for MLS listings and maybe 640x480 web photos and stuff.

Thanks!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Wide Angle Suggestions?
typerico
13th Nov 2008
greenwing Gold Member
13th Nov 2008
MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography
13th Nov 2008
escrowdog
14th Nov 2008
rstcphotography
14th Nov 2008
rstcphotography
15th Nov 2008
someday
14th Nov 2008

typerico Registered since 16th Jun 2008Thu 13-Nov-08 01:40 PM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Wide Angle Suggestions?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

try nikon 12-24 for $900 or if you are on a budget, stick with Sigma 10-20 for half the price of the nikon. Both will af on your d40.

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Thu 13-Nov-08 04:12 PM
1303 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Wide Angle Suggestions?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, UK

Once you get used to wide lenses, you might well want a proper one. But to start with, you could try a wide angle filter lens. Most that you'll see are between 0.4x & 0.5x, which is too wide really for the 18mm end of the D40 kit lens. Digital King make a 0.7x filter, which will give you about 12mm from the kit lens. Probably quite low quality and distorted, but cheap, and will likely do the job for what you want. Look for it on eBay.

Chris

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Thu 13-Nov-08 04:19 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Wide Angle Suggestions?"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

The best "value" would be the Sigma 10-20mm which does AF on your D40, which runs for just under $500. Tokina also makes a good 12-24mm in the same price range but it won't AF.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

escrowdog Registered since 09th Feb 2008Fri 14-Nov-08 01:42 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Wide Angle Suggestions?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks guys,

Ya I was thinking more along the lines of the filter/converter vs. buying a $500 lens. Just wasn't sure if there was something a true lens that was maybe a few hundred. Like I said, image quality is not super important, just don't like an extreme fish eye look either.

Interesting most all of the Digital King products come from the UK. I think that .7x sounds like the ticket for what I want to shoot.

rstcphotography Registered since 14th Nov 2008Fri 14-Nov-08 06:59 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Wide Angle Suggestions?"
In response to Reply # 4

UK

I own a digital king wide angle 0.7x mag on a D40. It's really good i've found. you do get slight bending on straight lines but for landscapes i've not had any problems with it!

Recently took it to a gig - check out the "Clacket Lane" gig for examples on the address below. you can see the trellis bar above the front of the stage with slight bending, but used correctly it can also look impressive.

Check out

http://rupertstclairphotography.blogspot.com/

rstcphotography Registered since 14th Nov 2008Sat 15-Nov-08 12:20 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Wide Angle Suggestions?"
In response to Reply # 5

UK

I meant to say that the digital king adaptor works well with autofocus on the D40s kit lens

someday Registered since 05th Jun 2007Fri 14-Nov-08 11:04 PM
71 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Wide Angle Suggestions?"
In response to Reply # 0

Mundelein, US

I used Nikon 12-24 - excellent lens, especially for what you describing but if you are on a budget
Tokina 12-24 maybe an option. I'm not sure if AutoFocus works with D40 but it also is an outstanding lens and 1/2 price of Nikon.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #33962 Previous topic | Next topic