Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #33907
View in linear mode

Subject: "Shutter Release Error" Previous topic | Next topic
kjreif Registered since 10th Nov 2008Mon 10-Nov-08 08:30 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Shutter Release Error"

US

I'm new to this forum and I'm so glad I found it...lots of great tips. I'm having a problem with my Nikon D40. Although it's less than a year old, I purchased it as a refurbished product and Nikon only offers a 90 day warranty for it's refurbs. So I'm really hoping that someone can help me with my camera since it's not under warranty any more.

I've noticed that when I'm taking pictures and the flash does not go off, I get an error message that says, "Error Press Shutter Release Button Again." It take a picture, but it's basically a black exposure. But if I force a flash, I can get it to take it just fine. But obviously, this isn't a great solutions for me. I've tried the hard reset and taking out the battery - none of which worked. I'm using the stock lens (nikon 18-55) and just the pop up flash. I'm not sure if it's my lens or the the body.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Shutter Release Error
MEMcD Moderator
10th Nov 2008
kjreif
10th Nov 2008
mtpenmaker
11th Nov 2008
MEMcD Moderator
11th Nov 2008
gkaiseril Gold Member
10th Nov 2008
JDMils
11th Nov 2008
mtpenmaker
11th Nov 2008
JDMils
12th Nov 2008
mtpenmaker
12th Nov 2008
MotoMannequin Moderator
12th Nov 2008
JDMils
12th Nov 2008
MotoMannequin Moderator
12th Nov 2008
Scotty Silver Member
13th Nov 2008

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 10-Nov-08 09:19 PM
25730 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Shutter Release Error"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Kelly,

Welcome to Nikonians!
What Exposure mode are you using?

Best Regards,
Marty

kjreif Registered since 10th Nov 2008Mon 10-Nov-08 09:48 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Shutter Release Error"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Sorry, I forgot to mention that. I generally just shoot on auto - but to force a flash I use night mode.

Thanks!

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Tue 11-Nov-08 12:14 AM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Shutter Release Error"
In response to Reply # 2

Billings, US

Switch to shutter priority, set the shutter to 1/100, put the flash up and try that. Those exposure modes are of pretty limited usefulness. IMO you're much better off using A, S, M or P. P is similar to Auto but does give you some control over what the camera does. In Auto, the camera does what it wants to do.

Gerry Rhoades
Montana Pens
www.montanapens.com
My Nikonians Gallery

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 11-Nov-08 05:55 AM
25730 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Shutter Release Error"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Kelly,

Gerry is right! The scene and AUTO exposure modes are controled by the camera based on the best settings for the particular scene mode. I don't think Auto mode will allow a shutter speed slower than the average person can hand hold without camera shake. Just guessing you are trying to capture images with poor ambient lighting and Auto mode is trying to save you from yourself.
Using P,S,A, & M Exposure modes allow you to take control of your images. In P mode the shutter speed will go upto 30 sec. I don't think Auto mode will allow speeds lower than 1/15th sec. although I do not have a D40 to verify this. In the above modes if you want to use flash just press the button to deploy the built in speedlight.
Keep in mind the minimum shutter speed while hand holding is based on the following Rule of Thumb: Minimum shutter speed = 1/1.5 X Focal Length of the lens (eg. for a lens at 55mm : 1/ 55 X 1.5 = 1/82.5 or approx 1/80th sec.) This will prevent blur due to camera shake. With practice and good hand holding technique you will be able to shoot at much slower speeds without problems. Good Luck!

Best Regards,
Marty

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 10-Nov-08 10:17 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Shutter Release Error"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 10-Nov-08 10:25 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Make sure you battery is fully charged and leave enough time for the flash circuitry to recharge. Check this by looking for the "Flash-ready indicator" in the lower right corner of the viewfinder. You also not take a large number of continuous flash shoots and the camera will disable the flash unit until it cools.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

JDMils Registered since 23rd Jul 2008Tue 11-Nov-08 02:25 AM
258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Shutter Release Error"
In response to Reply # 3
Tue 11-Nov-08 02:28 AM by JDMils

AU

Seems to be a generic problem with the D40.

* Take the lens off and continue pressing the shutter untill it doesn't react anymore, you should then have a normal menu without the error message.Put your lens on and see what happens.

* Hit the bottom softly with my palm until it made a noise like the shutter was readjusting.

* Does the D40 have a Mirror Lockup feature? If it does and you activated it to clean the protective glass on the sensor, then I would imagine that the mirror is still locked up.

Sounds like a shutter problem and you will have to send it to Nikon to be fixed. Sorry.

PS. You might want to try another lens as it could be dust in the shutter mechanism.

|
+-- JDMils
|
+-- D60
+-- AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
+-- AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G
+-- HOYA 52mm Clear PRO1 DIGITAL Protector Filter DMC LPF (on the 18-55)
+-- HOYA 58mm Clear SKYLIGHT Protector Filter (on the 50)
|
+-- Navman forums at http://forums@jdmils.com
|

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Tue 11-Nov-08 04:37 AM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Shutter Release Error"
In response to Reply # 5
Tue 11-Nov-08 01:59 PM by mtpenmaker

Billings, US

>
>* Hit the bottom softly with my palm until it made a noise
>like the shutter was readjusting.
>
>* Does the D40 have a Mirror Lockup feature? If it does and
>you activated it to clean the protective glass on the sensor,
>then I would imagine that the mirror is still locked up.
>
>Sounds like a shutter problem and you will have to send it to
>Nikon to be fixed. Sorry.
>
>PS. You might want to try another lens as it could be dust in
>the shutter mechanism.

You may wish to "hit" your camera but it is not a good thing to recommend that others do.

The mirror cannot still be locked up because, as stated in the manual, it returns to normal position when the camera is powered off.

I've been using SLRs and DSLRs for nearly 50 years and it doesn't sound like a shutter problem.

Trying another lens will be pointless if there is dust in the shutter mechanism, which is pretty unlikely anyway.

Gerry Rhoades
Montana Pens
www.montanapens.com
My Nikonians Gallery

JDMils Registered since 23rd Jul 2008Wed 12-Nov-08 12:40 AM
258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Shutter Release Error"
In response to Reply # 6

AU

Gerry,

Merely pointing out the solution to the same problem that others have had. We all give object "X" a shake and a small hit in case there is something lodged and stuck somewhere. It's natural. I'm not saying to violently throw it around the room! LoL.

>>The mirror cannot still be locked up because, as stated in the manual, it returns to normal position when the camera is powered off.

This is not a "normal" situation. The OP is having trouble and I am simply pointing out a possible cause.

>> Trying another lens will be pointless if there is dust in the shutter mechanism, which is pretty unlikely anyway.

Where's the shutter normally sit? In the lens. So trying another lens would actually be a good test as it would tell the OP whether the problem was lens or body related. I'm not saying that IS the solution, just trying to help someone out with some quick tips.

Why are you on the offensive?

|
+-- JDMils
|
+-- D60
|
|

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Wed 12-Nov-08 04:18 AM
#9. "RE: Shutter Release Error"
In response to Reply # 8

Billings, US

The shutter is not in the lens, it is in the camera body.

Gerry Rhoades
Montana Pens
www.montanapens.com
My Nikonians Gallery

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Wed 12-Nov-08 05:09 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#10. "RE: Shutter Release Error"
In response to Reply # 8

Livermore, CA, US

Julian,

The shutter is in the camera body, behind the mirror, and *not* in the lens.

I have to agree with Gerry, that not much good comes from hitting the camera.

Pointing this out, I don't think is offensive. Let's try to keep this thread on topic and avoid getting personal.

Thanks.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

JDMils Registered since 23rd Jul 2008Wed 12-Nov-08 05:56 PM
#11. "RE: Shutter Release Error"
In response to Reply # 10

AU

Ok, I'm cool with that. But what are the "blades" I see in most lens? Sorry, but I never imagined the shutter being in the body- do you have any pics of what they look like? Thanks.

|
+-- JDMils
|
+-- D60
|
|

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Wed 12-Nov-08 06:37 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#12. "RE: Shutter Release Error"
In response to Reply # 11

Livermore, CA, US

Those blades are the aperture. They are normally fully open when the lens is mounted on the camera, and will close down during exposure, when the mirror is up, based on the "f-stop" setting.

These do get stuck (or sticky - they need to move very fast as you might imagine during shutter bursts), most likely from oil leaking from the mechanism onto the blades. When this happens you won't get an error from the camera, but the pictures will likely be overexposed, because the blades do not close as far as the camera expected.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Thu 13-Nov-08 08:51 PM
4818 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Shutter Release Error"
In response to Reply # 10

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

There was a point in "lightly tapping" the old mechanical cameras as things could get stuck. However, there is no point in doing the same thing to an electronic body as you are just as likely to do damage to a micro-processor.

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #33907 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.