Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #33690
View in linear mode

Subject: "wide angle for D40?" Previous topic | Next topic
hs14 Registered since 03rd Nov 2008Mon 03-Nov-08 04:37 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"wide angle for D40?"

US

Hi All, I'm looking for a wide angle for my D40 -- I shoot a lot of outdoors stuff, both woods and urban. After reading the reviews on Ken Rockwell's site and several others, I was all set to purchase the Nikon 12-24. I had an order in with Sonic Camera and the salesman told me that that lens isn't fully functional with a digital camera - which seems to be confirmed by other posts here. He recommended the Sigma 1020 -- though Rockwell and some others say it isn't as sharp. Feedback anyone? Thanks, HS14

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: wide angle for D40?
MotoMannequin Moderator
03rd Nov 2008
typerico
03rd Nov 2008
jon_b
05th Nov 2008
woodworker5112
06th Nov 2008
hs14
06th Nov 2008

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Mon 03-Nov-08 05:36 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: wide angle for D40?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 03-Nov-08 05:46 PM by MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US

You're getting information from a lot of questionable sources.

First, the Nikkor 12-24 is specifically designed for digital cameras, and is 100% functional on D40 as well as all Nikon digital cameras. So, plain and simple, you can't trust whomever told you it wasn't. It sounds like the salesman was trying to switch you to a lens he had in stock, or maybe one he makes more money from, or he is just uninformed. The Nikkor is a highly respected lens. The main knock against it is its price.

The high price on the Nikkor opened the door to 2 very respected 3rd party lenses, the Tokina 12-24 and the Sigma 10-20. The general opinion on these is that they are both as good as the Nikkor, better in some ways, and great bargains at half the price. The Tokina doesn't AF on D40, unless they updated the design since last time I looked (and they very well might have, so check). The Sigma does AF on all Nikon digital cameras.

As far as what you read on Rockwell's sight, let me just suggest it's always a great idea to get your information from multiple sources.

Here's a few resources I'll recommend:
Our own list of D40 fully compatible lenses:
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=152&topic_id=13319&mesg_id=13319&page=

Nikonians super-wide shootout:
http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/nikkor-12-24mm/review.html

Thom Hogan Sigma 10-20 review:
http://www.bythom.com/sigma10to20.htm

Personally I use the Sigma 10-20. Its strenghts are being the widest of the wide, excellent build quality, outstanding sharpness, and very little distortion. CA is all but nonexistent. Its weakness is light falloff in the corners, which I consider to be a very minor point. It's easily correctable when needed, but I frequently darken the perimeter of my photos anyway. Another downside is that it's not quite long enough to be a reasonable walk-around lens, so you'll change lenses a lot. Some consider the f/5.6 max aperture to be a downside, but landscape shooters always use this lens from f/8-f/16 so it's a non-issue for me. If someone offered me a straight-up trade for the Nikkor I wouldn't even consider it, because I'd lose the ability to go to 10mm.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

typerico Registered since 16th Jun 2008Mon 03-Nov-08 05:38 PM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: wide angle for D40?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I don't know what that salesman was smoking but the Nikon 12-24 is a DX AFS lens meaning, it should mount and af on your D40 perfectly. Besides, that store is ####!!! Look at the store name at resellersrating.com prior to making a purchase. Sonic Camera has a rating of 0.71 out of ten!!! Anyway, I have both and funny as it may sound but I ended up selling the Nikon. I was surprise by Sigma's performance. It was on par with Nikon's optically, built and less expensive. Plus, it was wider.

jon_b Registered since 14th Jul 2008Wed 05-Nov-08 09:15 AM
268 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: wide angle for D40?"
In response to Reply # 2

GB

I loved the sigma 10-20 on my D40. The Nikon 12-24 was a bit rich for my blood (but will work great on the camera) and the other top 3rd party contender wouldn’t autofocus on the D40.

woodworker5112 Registered since 23rd May 2008Thu 06-Nov-08 12:14 AM
297 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: wide angle for D40?"
In response to Reply # 3

Clovis, US

I think he must have had a different lens he wanted to push on you. The 12-24 was actually made for digital. Although he might have gotten confused, and thought it was made for film only, not digital, rather than the other way around.

Eric
D40x, Lovin' it.

hs14 Registered since 03rd Nov 2008Thu 06-Nov-08 09:34 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: wide angle for D40?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thanks all for the help. I chose the sigma 10-20 and it just arrived -- looking forward to using it!!!!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #33690 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.