nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #332
View in linear mode

Subject: "Do I really need to change from the Kit 18-55 DX lens t" Previous topic | Next topic
debarshiduttagupta Registered since 07th Nov 2005Mon 07-Nov-05 03:35 PM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Do I really need to change from the Kit 18-55 DX lens t"

Kolkata, IN

Dear Nikonians, I have just bought my D50, but unfortunately it was only available as a kit. I have read so many positive reviews about the 18-70. Is the 18-55 a bad lens ? 18-70mm may be a superior lens , but is the 18-55 a very bad lens ? I have taken a few hunderd test shots with it and didnt find it that bad, although the lens i use most with my D50 is my 50mm 1.8 AF D.

So please help me out wether I really need the 18-70 or not.

Keep Clicking

Debarshi

Kolkata, India

Nikon F75, F80, D50, Nikkor 28-100G, Nikkor 70-300G, Nikkor 50mm 1.8AF D, Sigma 28-135 Aspherical Macro, SB 50 DX.

When people love your photos that is your best reward !

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Do I really need to change from the Kit 18-55 DX le
avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
07th Nov 2005
debarshiduttagupta
08th Nov 2005
paizhao
07th Nov 2005
debarshiduttagupta
08th Nov 2005
Drbee Silver Member
07th Nov 2005
debarshiduttagupta
08th Nov 2005
lumsoft
08th Nov 2005
debarshiduttagupta
09th Nov 2005
Aleks
09th Nov 2005

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberMon 07-Nov-05 05:27 PM
18629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Do I really need to change from the Kit 18-55 DX le"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

Debarshi, welcome to Nikonians!

Is the 18-55 kit lens bad? No, its not bad, but it isn't "great" either. This is a lens with a shorter range and with less lens elements and groups. More elements and groups better correct for distortion, improve color and contrast.

The 18-70 is very good consumer grade lens with a slightly longer range. It has more lens elements and groups and has 3 ED lens elements.

Whether you need to upgrade or not...that is really up to you to decide. If you like the quality of your 18-55, then don't worry about it too much. Your SB-50DX is okay with your film cameras but will not work with your D50. If I were you, I would consider selling it and getting an SB-600 or SB-800 that will be compatible with all your cameras, first. Then I would look at possibly upgrading the lens.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
"Eliminate the unnecessary and focus on the substance." (Tommy Ramone of the Ramones)

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

debarshiduttagupta Registered since 07th Nov 2005Tue 08-Nov-05 02:53 AM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Do I really need to change from the Kit 18-55 DX le"
In response to Reply # 1

Kolkata, IN

Dear Anthony

Thankyou for your guidance. I am saving yo buy a Sb600 later but I have overshot my budget to buy the D50. Im shooting in Manual mode (only mode working with the D50) , using bounce indoors and shooting with aperture priority at F8 while using direct flash with the SB 50 DX. The D50 manual says that the SB50DX will only work in manual mode. The results are failry ok and im afraid at this moment I have to stick wioth the SB50DX until I can get a good price for the same to buy my SB600.

Thanks again.

Debarshi

paizhao Basic MemberMon 07-Nov-05 08:12 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Do I really need to change from the Kit 18-55 DX le"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

There's no question that the 18-70 lens is better but I don't think the 18-55 lens is bad. I think it's a good starter lens. That's largely why I went with it. And the fact that I couldn't justify the extra $200+ for the 18-70 when I was already $300 over what I was going to spend. First of all, I'm a beginner to photography and SLR cameras so I was more concerned about learning how to utilize the D50's functions. After 4 months of use, I have no regret buying it. In fact, the $200+ I saved by not buying the 18-70 can go towards the new 18-200 VR lens coming out in December.

--
Ed
http://paizhao.everythingec.com

debarshiduttagupta Registered since 07th Nov 2005Tue 08-Nov-05 02:54 AM
#6. "RE: Do I really need to change from the Kit 18-55 DX le"
In response to Reply # 2

Kolkata, IN

Thanks you ED. The 18-200 VR looks tempting.

Debarshi

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Mon 07-Nov-05 08:53 PM
5840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Do I really need to change from the Kit 18-55 DX le"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>Dear Nikonians,
>
>So please help me out wether I really need the 18-70 or not.
>
>Debarshi
>

Debarshi, I think that this is a question you can answer. Since you have several hundred shots already and are not disappointed, perhaps this is the lens that will take you far.

I review my photos regularly and use that process to decide if a change of lenses could make any of them better. I also keep notes as to when I wanted to take a photo and I did not have a lens selection to capture the image I wanted. I organize these notes until some pattern emerges. People's eye for photographs often changes as they gain experience, so it is good to review your situation frequently. My needs took a dramatic change when I had my first child, when I started traveling every other week for business, when I had my first grandchild, etc. Sometimes I added equipment, but when I got married, I sold equipment. Life changes.

Whenever I get a new lens, I take a few good photos with excellent lighting and print one copy at a size that I'm likely to display in an album or hang on the wall (in my case, that is about 11x14 or 12x18 (inches) ). Printed photos often look much different than images displayed on a computer screen. I find that to be a practical test of whether the new equipment was actually "better". After a while your testing might become more rigorous, mine often does. However, the real test for me is what you intend to display and the practical realization of that is what comes back from the printer.

Good luck on your decision. My first advise is to do nothing until you are sure that it will be an improvement in how you use your photos. Then you will know on what basis the change will help your situation. Try that print soon however, if you are in a situation where the lens is not adequate for your usage you don't want to store up a computer full of photos that you won't be happy with printing later. You may not want to use my suggested 11x14 size for your print test. I print "all" of my photos at 4x6 (inches) and a few at the larger sizes. My experience tells me when to make the really big ones.

BTW: pick a print size for which there are a wide selection of frames or albums. No sense in picking a size that you can't later display. My units were in typical USA lab sizes.

If the print does looks "weak" you may want to try several others at small inexpensive sized. Sometimes a lab/printer may not have good quality controls. I have one I trust, and when the results are bad, I ask them to reprint - they usually say yes without charging me. But that's all give and take.

Roger

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

debarshiduttagupta Registered since 07th Nov 2005Tue 08-Nov-05 02:49 AM
#4. "RE: Do I really need to change from the Kit 18-55 DX le"
In response to Reply # 3

Kolkata, IN

Thankyou very much for helping me out Roger. I do print a selection of my shots at 8x12 size. I have albums where I keep my favourite shots printed at this size in Matt paper from a very well known Lab here in Kolkata, India. But I think I'll follow your principle of printing at 4x6 to test the images.

Thankyou.

Debarshi

lumsoft Registered since 31st Oct 2005Tue 08-Nov-05 05:32 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Do I really need to change from the Kit 18-55 DX le"
In response to Reply # 4

UK

I have the kit lens too (18-55). I find nearly all the images taken with it benefit a lot from some moderate sharpening (in Photoshop) - makes a real difference. Guess I am saying the lens is a little 'soft' overall, but then it's the only lens I've got at the moment!!
Chris Lowe

debarshiduttagupta Registered since 07th Nov 2005Wed 09-Nov-05 02:21 AM
#8. "RE: Do I really need to change from the Kit 18-55 DX le"
In response to Reply # 7

Kolkata, IN

Thankyou Chris. What I have found that you need to do some post processing with all the shots coming out of the D50 and sharpening is one of them. I have also found that the kit kens is a little on the softer side but not much. I have the F75 and the F80 Film bodies and when I use the Kit F75 28-100 lens on the D50 the pictures are definitely on the softer side. I do need a lens on the little wider side. Do you have any idea about the tamron 19-35 ? Its price is rrasonable and with the 1.5 crops factor it will be a 28mm on the D50.

Keep clicking

Debarshi

Kolkata, India

Aleks Registered since 29th Oct 2005Wed 09-Nov-05 04:44 AM
132 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Do I really need to change from the Kit 18-55 DX le"
In response to Reply # 8

Calgary, CA

I have opted with the Nikon 28-105D to replace my 18-55....I haven't been impressed at all with my kit lens, and I've shot a bunch with an 18-70 lens....I opted for the 28-105 because I didn't really feel limited by the wide angle loss of 10mm, and I love the macro mode, and the nice soft boke of the lense....Its also quite sturdy, and very nice for the price (about the same as an 18-70)....Its not an ED lens, or a DX lens, but its still very impressive with the examples out on the net....Anyhow, something to consider!

D80 | MB-D80 Grip | Nikkor 50mm f1.8D | Nikkor 85mm f1.8D | Nikkor 18-70mm f 3.5/4.6G ED | Nikkor 70-300mm f 4/5.6G ED | Tamron 90mm f 2.8 Macro | Nikon SB-600

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #332 Previous topic | Next topic