nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #3264
View in linear mode

Subject: "Anyone regret getting the D50 and not the D70 ???" Previous topic | Next topic
12chondros Registered since 09th Feb 2006Thu 09-Feb-06 01:43 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Anyone regret getting the D50 and not the D70 ???"

US

I am a very rank amateur fixing to jump in the waters and was wondering if anyone with the D50 regrets not getting the D70?? Are the few extra features such as DOF preview, more ISO settings and the commander mode for remote wireless flash worth it ??? The shots I will be taking are macro,wildlife and Aquarium photography. Will these features be needed or wanted as I hopefully progress in my skill levels ???

Thanks,
Tom

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Anyone regret getting the D50 and not the D70 ???
TampaNikon1
09th Feb 2006
northjay1
01st Mar 2006
edmun
09th Feb 2006
TampaNikon1
09th Feb 2006
soupdragon
01st Mar 2006
SirAllen
09th Feb 2006
Apotome
09th Feb 2006
edmun
09th Feb 2006
4yanx Silver Member
09th Feb 2006
bill500 Silver Member
09th Feb 2006
soupdragon
09th Feb 2006
beavo451
10th Feb 2006
soupdragon
10th Feb 2006
MINGZNIKONIAN
10th Feb 2006
MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography
10th Feb 2006
britkev
10th Feb 2006
soupdragon
10th Feb 2006
Aphex
10th Feb 2006
jasoninak
10th Feb 2006
Lakota
10th Feb 2006
lucas2840
11th Feb 2006
TampaNikon1
16th Jan 2008
lucas2840
16th Jan 2008
soupdragon
11th Feb 2006
TampaNikon1
11th Feb 2006
Rickard_F
11th Feb 2006
kd5boc
11th Feb 2006
dukeofbecker
01st Mar 2006
James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography
01st Mar 2006
Swetz Silver Member
01st Mar 2006
soupdragon
01st Mar 2006

TampaNikon1 Registered since 01st Dec 2001Thu 09-Feb-06 02:05 AM
1070 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Anyone regret getting the D50 and not the D70 ???"
In response to Reply # 0

Spring Hill, US

No me, the price difference was a real factor and I'm still a beginner.

I would like to learn how to use the camera properly in manual mode, learn the other features and also post processing in photoshop, Capture etc which seems to be very important to DSLR photography.

I think the D70S may have better resale value, but eventually I would like to get a D200 and keep the D50 as backup or give it to one of my kids and hopefully have them share in my hobby.

I'm very happy with the picture quality so far. I primarily shoot people and landscapes.

Many of the discussion threads have commented that if you want to shoot wildlife, you will probably want to get a long fast lens.

I dont think the kit lens or the 55-200 would be a good choice for this.

Good Luck.

Bob, A Florida Nikonian

"When you turn your camera on...does it return the favor?
"If Not get a "NIKON" !

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

northjay1 Registered since 10th Feb 2006Wed 01-Mar-06 07:44 PM
249 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Anyone regret getting the D50 and not the D70 ???"
In response to Reply # 1

Estes/westminster, US

Bob your on the money--- I just got a new d50 with kit lens 18mm 55mm while a lot better than the 55mm - 200 its now were as good as the 18mm -70mm
I have a buddy that uses the 60mm macro it is so sharp you can shave with it--- so the lens can make a big difference--- your right!

any one with a good lens recommendation? I would love to hear from you ps Bob I am also a florida resident close to sarasota ---j

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Thu 09-Feb-06 02:09 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Anyone regret getting the D50 and not the D70 ???"
In response to Reply # 0

eugene, US

Its a budget thing.

You can live without all of these features.

To get CLS to work will cost you $250 for a controller. Getting the flash off camera without a cord for macro and to avoid reflections in glass is very nice.

The ISO -- in stops, not 1/3 no big deal

The Grids - almost necessary to shoot a landscape or copy work or a building.

DOF can be seen on the LCD screen by zooming in.

The D70 has a much more precise metering system with more than 2 twice the sampling.

If you are not bothered by the $200 get the D70s. My thing is the D50 is a camera to grow out of and the D70 is a camera to grow into.

The wired remote for macro with animals could be very useful.

ledmun

TampaNikon1 Registered since 01st Dec 2001Thu 09-Feb-06 02:19 AM
1070 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Anyone regret getting the D50 and not the D70 ???"
In response to Reply # 2

Spring Hill, US

Lorin,

Assuming someone was ready to move up today though,

Would they move up to a D70 or would you try to move up to a D200?

Assuming price was not an issue.

Bob, A Florida Nikonian

"If Not get a "NIKON" !

soupdragon Basic MemberWed 01-Mar-06 07:53 PM
754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Anyone regret getting the D50 and not the D70 ???"
In response to Reply # 2

You cannot be serious, grow out of the d50 into the d70, that's a sideways step at best.
There is a clearly defined heirachical scale D50/70, D200 and D2X whatever.

SirAllen Registered since 20th Jan 2006Thu 09-Feb-06 03:12 AM
131 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Anyone regret getting the D50 and not the D70 ???"
In response to Reply # 0

US

No, because now it's easier to move up to a D200 than it is to go from a D70 to a D200

The only thing I wish I had with the D50 are WB fine tuning and commander flash mode. Other than that I like the D50 more.

I don't miss DOF at all, but shooting macro shots it may be more valueable. To get the DOF preview, I just push the shutter and look at the LCD

Apotome Registered since 27th Jan 2006Thu 09-Feb-06 03:50 AM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Anyone regret getting the D50 and not the D70 ???"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>I don't miss DOF at all, but shooting macro shots it may be
>more valueable. To get the DOF preview, I just push the
>shutter and look at the LCD

So instead of saying the D50 lacks the DOF preview function we should start saying that it includes the DOF postview function.

AB

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Thu 09-Feb-06 04:59 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Anyone regret getting the D50 and not the D70 ???"
In response to Reply # 5

eugene, US

D200 is a much better camera.

Better focus, more focus points and more mega pixels.

The only thing is its flash synch is 1/250 vs 1/500 which is a slight handicap for fill flash.

ledmun

4yanx Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2006Thu 09-Feb-06 05:16 AM
415 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Anyone regret getting the D50 and not the D70 ???"
In response to Reply # 0

Bay Area, US

I have a D50 and two D200's. My brother and my friend both have a D70. While I like the D200's best of the three (and by a large margin), I would personally take a D50 over a D70 any day of the week. I like the images created by the D50 much more with the possible excpetion of the fact that mine overexposes a bit. Adjust for that and it is just great.

bill500 Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2002Thu 09-Feb-06 05:32 AM
1760 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Anyone regret getting the D50 and not the D70 ???"
In response to Reply # 7

Houston, US

No I don't regret getting the D50 over the 70s. This is my first DSLR and I plan to upgrade to a used D200 in a couple of years.

Bill

Nikonian in Houston Texas

D300, D50(never gets used anymore)

soupdragon Basic MemberThu 09-Feb-06 06:29 AM
754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Anyone regret getting the D50 and not the D70 ???"
In response to Reply # 8

Both the D50 and D70s lack a feature that is about the single most important for macro and that is MLU.
We have been round this loop before and had varying opinions but, most of the extra features on the D70s can be acheived with workarounds on the D50.
Whilst I consider the D50 and D70 to be the same breed, the D200 is in a different class. You can in no way compare the entry level dslrs to the D200.
If I had the money I would bypass the 50 and the 70 for the 200, that said, if money were no object I would be buying the Canon EOS 1DS Mk II.

beavo451 Registered since 25th Dec 2005Fri 10-Feb-06 03:25 AM
129 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Anyone regret getting the D50 and not the D70 ???"
In response to Reply # 9

Richardson, US

>Both the D50 and D70s lack a feature that is about the
>single most important for macro and that is MLU.
>We have been round this loop before and had varying opinions
>but, most of the extra features on the D70s can be acheived
>with workarounds on the D50.
>Whilst I consider the D50 and D70 to be the same breed, the
>D200 is in a different class. You can in no way compare the
>entry level dslrs to the D200.
>If I had the money I would bypass the 50 and the 70 for the
>200, that said, if money were no object I would be buying
>the Canon EOS 1DS Mk II.

GASP! HERETIC!!!

lol j/k The 1Ds is a very nice camera. The only thing I regret about my D50 is pixel count. I like getting super large prints. If money was no object, I would get the D2X and D2Hs as a duo camera set up. THen I would get a Hasselblad with its 39 mega pixel sensor for studio stuff. But, I digress. You can't go wrong with the D50

soupdragon Basic MemberFri 10-Feb-06 05:50 AM
#11. "RE: Anyone regret getting the D50 and not the D70 ???"
In response to Reply # 10

A pal of mine has the Blad H1 and he can cut away 75% of his images and still get resolution as good as my D50.
"If I was a rich man, adoobee doobee doobee doobee doobee doobee doobee doobee doo" Come on, sing along.

MINGZNIKONIAN Registered since 28th Oct 2005Fri 10-Feb-06 06:24 AM
437 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Anyone regret getting the D50 and not the D70 ???"
In response to Reply # 11

Regina, CA

a friend of mine came to visit me this week, he has a D70s with a remote cord shutter control... wish i can add that to my D50~ beside that, not really...

oh, maybe one more thing~ I like how the D70s have a button for switch between metering mode... since i switch between matrix and spot a lot~

MINGZCAN

http://www.pbase.com/mingzcan

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Fri 10-Feb-06 07:15 AM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#13. "RE: Anyone regret getting the D50 and not the D70 ???"
In response to Reply # 12

Livermore, CA, US

>remote cord shutter control... wish i can add that to my D50

You could add the IR wireless release for <$20.

Really, I can't imagine regrets with the D50 for an entry-level user. There are missing features, but it's a great place to start a kit which will allow you to grow into the right camera once you realize what limitations matter most.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

britkev Registered since 11th Sep 2004Fri 10-Feb-06 10:42 AM
305 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Anyone regret getting the D50 and not the D70 ???"
In response to Reply # 13

Philadelphia, US

Maybe I shouldn't comment until my D50 gets here next week, but I thougth I'd chimein with the decision process that made me pull the trigger on a D50 today instead of wait a few more months until I could afford the D70...

I had Pentax film SLRs for almost twenty years, starting with a screw mount whose model name I have forgotten and ultimately an ME from the mid80s thru the early 90s. Big lifestyle changes meant photography was not terribly important tome for a while... my interest picked up again when I got a Sony Mavica floppy camera about nine years ago for more money than my D50 cost today. I moved up to a 3 megapixel Olympus point and shoot when that got stolen, then graduated to the Coolpix 5700, which I replaced with an 8700 about 18 months ago. I wanted the D70 then, but couldn't cost justify it.

The shutter lag on the 8700 has been a constant frustration and finally became too much over the Xmas holidays when I manage to just miss several shots of my three year old daughter.

I do really want the D70s, but the extra $400 just isn't available right now so I bought the D50. What am I going to miss? The main concerns raised so far seem to be

1) DOF preview... I can count the number of times I used that to any real effect with my Pentax ME on my fingers. As pointed out above, with digital you have a perfect DOF postview system anyway so no big deal.

2) ISO settings in 1/3rd stops... with complete control over aperture and shutter speed I really don't see how not being able to hand pick ISO 320 or ISO 1240 is going to be a problem

3) more complex metering system - may be a factor occasionally, but for >95% of shots I'm sure the D50 will be more than adequate, and for the few situations that it isn't good enough there's always bracketing and/or RAW mode + post work in Photoshop

None of those bother me at all.

I am slightly troubled that I am gong to have to buy new memory SD cards instead of being able to use the CF cards I already have for my 8700... but I can get a 1GB card and still be >$300 up compared to the price of the D70

I also have to say that having quickly tried out both in a camera shop,the D70 just felt a whole lot better in my hands, but the D50 certainly didn't feel as cramped as the *ist or clunky as the Canon...

I pulled the trigger now rather than wait a couple of months for the D70 because I'm going to Disneyworld at the end of the month and wanted a new camera for the trip. I can them build up my lens collection over the next couple of years before buying my next body - maybe the D300 or D80s will be out by then.

soupdragon Basic MemberFri 10-Feb-06 12:08 PM
#15. "RE: Anyone regret getting the D50 and not the D70 ???"
In response to Reply # 14

Wise move, if you don't spend your saved cash on Micky and Pluto's ride of death, you will be able to afford a nice chunk of glass when you get back.

Aphex Registered since 30th Oct 2005Fri 10-Feb-06 05:34 PM
199 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Anyone regret getting the D50 and not the D70 ???"
In response to Reply # 15

NL

Well, I have a D50 and am on the waiting list for a D200. I do miss things like MLU, kelvin adjustable WB, seperate color histograms and DOF preview. The other improvements are also very welcome.
That said, the D50 has been my introduction to digital photography, and a very good one at it too. Everything I would do with a (fill in generic more expensive model) D200, I could also do with a D50. However, some things not as good or they take a lot more time, as I have discovered while using the D50. It is that luxury I am willing to pay for.

So, I have never regretted buying a D50. Even now, I intend to keep it for infrared photography. The D200 is not very sensitive to IR, while the D50 is. Perhaps I'll even have the hot mirror replaced.

It's a matter of luxury. The D50 has all the necessary basics for good quality photo's.

jasoninak Registered since 24th Jan 2006Fri 10-Feb-06 05:32 PM
453 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#16. "RE: Anyone regret getting the D50 and not the D70 ???"
In response to Reply # 0

Dale City, US

I don't regret my D50 one bit. It's a great camera and a big step up from my previous Sony H1. If I really want commander mode I'll just get the SB-800 (already have the 600)

The only things I'd like are a lit LCD (very minor), current ISO displayed in the viewfinder, a button to change metering and MLU.

Jason in Virginia
Flickr

Lakota Registered since 25th Jun 2004Fri 10-Feb-06 08:04 PM
233 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Anyone regret getting the D50 and not the D70 ???"
In response to Reply # 16

Bear, US

"I don't regret my D50 one bit. It's a great camera", I agree.
If I wanted to use a D70 then I would my Wife's (SWMBO). I did miss the Lack of a LCD cover, but now have a nice Nikon (Modified) one.
I also miss the lack of a Vertical grip/Shutter release, and yes I know there are after market grips, but even those for the D70 don't give full control (they have a work around). BTW, you can use a remote cable with the D50, it's through the USB connector, how do you think Nikon runs their Diagnostics (Now if only we could get their software). Maybe Nikon will make the Slip that Panasonic did with their website and make it available for 2 weeks by mistake (hint hint... anyone at Nikon listening). Well, that sure would be nice, but I don't regret getting the D50, not one bit, it's a great camera.

-When you arise in the morning, give thanks for the morning light, for your life and strength. Give thanks for your food, and the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies with yourself.
- Tecumseh, Shawnee Chief

-It is not neccessary for Eagles to become Crows.
- Sitting Bull, Lakota Medicine Chief

lucas2840 Registered since 11th Mar 2004Sat 11-Feb-06 02:37 AM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#19. "RE: Anyone regret getting the D50 and not the D70 ???"
In response to Reply # 0

Omaha, US

Definitely the D50 for a reason that I think most of us are missing, LOW NOISE!!! The D50 blows the D70 out of the water in terms of noise handling! Especially at ISO 1600. Images taken at that high of an ISO on the D70 are almost unusable while the ones on the D50 you almost have to zoom into the image to see any noise! I do a lot of candid shooting with ambient light and this camera is a Godsend!

D50
24-120mm VR ED Lens
80-200mm f/2.8 2 touch
18-70mm DX ED Lens
60mm f/2.8 Micro Nikkor
SB-600 x 2/SU-800/SB-800

TampaNikon1 Registered since 01st Dec 2001Wed 16-Jan-08 02:16 PM
"RE: Anyone regret getting the D50 and not the D70 ???"

Spring Hill, US

Towards that end, here is a pic from a BBall Game last night.

Trying out the D50 with my new 50mm 1.8D at 1/125, F4.5, ISO 1600.

Love the Lens, probably could've used a faster shutter speed to freeze the action better.

Bob, A Florida Nikonian

"If Not get a "NIKON" !

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

lucas2840 Registered since 11th Mar 2004Wed 16-Jan-08 02:16 PM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#30. "RE: Anyone regret getting the D50 and not the D70 ???"
In response to Reply # 0

Omaha, US

And Here's one I took the other day, forgot to check the ISO but even at 1600 noise is barely noticable

D50
24-120mm VR ED Lens
80-200mm f/2.8 2 touch
18-70mm DX ED Lens
60mm f/2.8 Micro Nikkor
SB-600 x 2/SU-800/SB-800

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

soupdragon Basic MemberSat 11-Feb-06 10:29 AM
#20. "RE: Anyone regret getting the D50 and not the D70 ???"
In response to Reply # 30

Pretty girl, lens is good too.

TampaNikon1 Registered since 01st Dec 2001Sat 11-Feb-06 02:25 PM
#22. "RE: Anyone regret getting the D50 and not the D70 ???"
In response to Reply # 30

Spring Hill, US

Lucas,

Nice Shot, especially indoors at 135mm.

I'm assuming you used the 80-200 2.8.

Did you adjust for white balanace?

Bob

Bob, A Florida Nikonian

"If Not get a "NIKON" !

Rickard_F Registered since 16th Dec 2005Sat 11-Feb-06 11:58 AM
270 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Anyone regret getting the D50 and not the D70 ???"
In response to Reply # 0

Karlstad, SE

Nah. Two things I am a beginner and the D200 wasnt available when I wanted a camera. So I got the D50 to grow and learn with and in the meantime I am collecting glass and waiting for CF cards at 4gig + to drop in price, which they already have and for summer to arrive so my sister can bring me a d200 from the states plus that Nikon by then will have the baby diseases worked out, I hope.
I will keep the D50 for several reasons 1) backup, 2) always ready at home for the mrs. to shoot the kids 3) as an extra camera with glass so I dont need to change glass when I am outdoors.

try to do more with less is my motto right now with the D50, best way to learn the basics. In the end it is not the camera but the photographer that gets the best shot

I also feel the move from D50 to D200 is more easily justified than D70s to D200. That is just my personal opinion, not gospel.

/ Rick

"when operating the diopter adjustment control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidently"

-D2Hs Semper fidelis

kd5boc Registered since 22nd Nov 2005Sat 11-Feb-06 10:02 PM
142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Anyone regret getting the D50 and not the D70 ???"
In response to Reply # 0

Abilene,

Well...I was going to buy the D70s before I took a vacation home, but other than ordering online (which isn't a bad thing), I decided to buy locally and the only camera in-stock was the d50.

I don't use the DOF preview even on my SLR film cameras, so this wasn't required. The ISO's are in full steps...much better than the odd-numbered ISO's in other cameras as the f-stop and aperture conversions are easier to convert in my head, and the sensor has less noise than the d70...even at 1600, it was a nice touch. Besides,it was $200 off at my local store! I was able to buy the kit, extra tele lens, AND the SB-600 for the same price as just the d70 Kit

As far as photo quality and features...it is just as capable as the d70 and I will NEVER regret the decision to "settle" for the D50!

Tom

---------------
What does your Mind's Eye show you?

Nikon D50
18-55 kit lens
Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 Macro
Mac OS X

dukeofbecker Registered since 28th Feb 2006Wed 01-Mar-06 04:24 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Anyone regret getting the D50 and not the D70 ???"
In response to Reply # 23

Cobleskill, US

I do not regret getting the D50.

I purchased D50 from B&H in November 2005. At the time, I told myself if I was still active and interested in the hobby, I would upgrade to D200 after a year or so. I am learning the ropes in leaps and bounds with the D50 as scheduled.

Note that there are some bugs with the new D200. Nikon has confirmed some banding problems with the D200 (did I read that somewhere in Nikonians.org?)

So the year I planned to wait gives me a chance to learn the craft, and gives Nikon the chance to iron out the bugs (rule of thumb: Don't buy electronics in their "maiden year")

Regards,
Carl

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Wed 01-Mar-06 04:39 AM
9855 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Anyone regret getting the D50 and not the D70 ???"
In response to Reply # 24

Memphis, US

I agree I wasn't sure I'd like digital but in the end I really like it! So when the D50 wears out in 3 years(I got the 1 year plus 2 more nikon warrenty) I will consider what is out there but absolutly no regrets I love this little camera. Kind regards

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

Swetz Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Feb 2006Wed 01-Mar-06 04:34 PM
190 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Anyone regret getting the D50 and not the D70 ???"
In response to Reply # 25

Cambridge, US

I got a D50 before Christmas, Its my first Nikon. At first I was heavly considering the Cannon Rebel XT. That only lasted until I picked it up, no way did that thing fit in my hand.

So then I looked at the D50 and the D70s. I made a little spreadsheet and the D50 came out on top. Here was what I cam up with

D50 Pros
Less noise at higher ISO
slightly better pictures it seems
Price
SD card memory - I already have 2-512MB cards for my P&S camera (Powershot SD400)

D50 Cons
no built in remote flash support (I can live without or get two SB800s
no DOF preview (I can zoom in on the sreen and postview the DOF)
no backlit LCD panel (I carry a small flashlight with me in my bag).

more control over ISO was a non-issue to me.

I love my D50 and would not trade it for anything. I figure I spent less on the body so I can spend more on lenses. If in a year or two I feel I have outgrown my D50 I can get a new body that will be probably better then a D70 or maybe even then a D200 for a lot less money then.

I am very happy.

Steve
http://www.stevewetzel.com
http://stevewetzel.com/blog - Steve's daily photo blog.

soupdragon Basic MemberWed 01-Mar-06 04:43 PM
#27. "RE: Anyone regret getting the D50 and not the D70 ???"
In response to Reply # 26

I've said it once and I'll say it again, the D50 is UNBEATABLE for the price.
I was an owner of a Canon 350D some time back and whilst it had more features, it really could not take better pictures than the D50, and talk about small and plastic.
The 350D kit lens is about as sharp as a milk bottle bottom, I had to buy a vertical grip to make it handle like an slr and I had to buy additional optics to produce the same quality images as a D50.
Total cost 350D + Grip + 17-40 £1250.
If I had my time over again I could have bought a D200 for that.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #3264 Previous topic | Next topic