Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #32397
View in linear mode

Subject: "Looking for a good Nikon, not sure which to get" Previous topic | Next topic
Zi Registered since 08th Sep 2008Fri 19-Sep-08 01:14 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Looking for a good Nikon, not sure which to get"

MY

Hello all, i'm new here so please cut me some slack.

My first DIgital camera was a nikon, then i upgraded to the Sony N1. It was then i realized the power and advantage of using manual settings to capture teh right amount of light and contrast in a photo.

At the end of this year(disember or so) i plan to buy a new camera as the N1 is just no good for me anymore. I would like to keep my budget within 500 Euros.

i have a few choices in mind: D40x, D60, P600 but i'm open to any suggestions. Could you guys help me out?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Looking for a good Nikon, not sure which to get
ruca2k8
19th Sep 2008
Reply message RE: Looking for a good Nikon, not sure which to get.
Zi
19th Sep 2008
Reply message RE:
benlawton
19th Sep 2008
MEMcD Moderator
19th Sep 2008
Zi
06th Oct 2008
twistedlogic
06th Oct 2008
mep3136
06th Oct 2008
uncgolfr
31st Oct 2008
mikeac
06th Oct 2008
emilav
18th Oct 2008
someday
22nd Oct 2008
Zi
31st Oct 2008
twistedlogic
31st Oct 2008
uncgolfr
31st Oct 2008
twistedlogic
31st Oct 2008
uncgolfr
01st Nov 2008
Zi
21st Nov 2008
mtpenmaker
21st Nov 2008
Narsuitus
21st Nov 2008

ruca2k8 Registered since 27th Feb 2008Fri 19-Sep-08 03:02 PM
284 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Looking for a good Nikon, not sure which to get"
In response to Reply # 0

Cascais, PT

>My first DIgital camera was a nikon, then i upgraded to the
>Sony N1.

A move from Nikon is never an upgrade, just a mistake. You're forgiven.

HAHAHA! Sorry couldn't resist

Not sure what a P600 is, but you don't mention what you want to shoot, where, how, etc.

All those ARE the deciding factors even before budget. Budget is a compromise, your needs aren't.

So I'll tell you what I would get out of those 3: the D60. LikeI said, don't know what a P600 is, but I wanted an SLR, and my needs would have been in the D80-D200 region. My budget made me get a D40x. I don't regret it, as I know that if I do get a D90/D300, I will keep the D40x for travelling and for a second body with shorter lens.

Rui

Zi Registered since 08th Sep 2008Fri 19-Sep-08 03:10 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Looking for a good Nikon, not sure which to get."
In response to Reply # 1

MY

Sorry, i meant the p6000 from Nikon. Can it compare to a DSLR?

I take all sorts of shots generally, macro, scenary, that sort of thing, mostly during my travels, or even day to day shots. Basically every chance i spot a good shot i will take it.

I would like to get good night shots if it is possible, stars, the moon, lanterns etc. which i have never been able to do with any of my previous cameras without the picture turning out noisy.

DOes the D60 have autofocus with the default lens that comes with it?

benlawton Registered since 10th Dec 2007Fri 19-Sep-08 03:55 PM
213 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE:"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 19-Sep-08 03:56 PM by benlawton

Stafford, GB

>Looking for a good Nikon, not sure which to get

Any of them, they're all good! Probably a D60 if you're after a DSLR, although I can't comment on the Coolpix series as I have always preferred the Fuji compacts (although haven't used mine is almost a year now, thanks to Nikon )

Ben

Edit: Yes, the D60 kit is fully kitted out for autofocus OTB.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 19-Sep-08 08:23 PM
25572 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Looking for a good Nikon, not sure which to get"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Leong,

Welcome to Nikonians!
I think for about 500 Euros you could get the D40/X, D60, or maybe a D80 kit depending on the lens choice.
Your profile indicates that you are an Advanced Ameteur. Based on that I would recommend the D80 if it fits within your budget. It will provide you the most room to grow. The D80 also has a focus motor built into the body that the D40/X and D60 do not have. This will allow you mount any Nikon F mount AF lens (the exception being the lenses for the F3AF) and have the Auto Focus work. The D80 retains the Pictogram Modes while offering the user more flexibility.
If the D80 is above your budget the D60 would be second choice. Good Luck and Enjoy!

Best Regards,
Marty

Zi Registered since 08th Sep 2008Mon 06-Oct-08 08:14 AM
#5. "RE: Looking for a good Nikon, not sure which to get"
In response to Reply # 4
Mon 06-Oct-08 11:16 AM by Zi

MY

Thank you for all the replies.

As i come closer to getting the D60, i have been doing some research and notice that the D60 does not have a live view display on the LCD. As an entry level DSLR user, will it be uncomfortable to adjust to using the eye piece constantly instead of viewing form the LCD?

i wear glasses so will this be a problem?
Also are there any software hacks that can be used to make the d60 have live view display?

twistedlogic Registered since 07th Apr 2008Mon 06-Oct-08 01:05 PM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Looking for a good Nikon, not sure which to get"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>As i come closer to getting the D60, i have been doing some
>research and notice that the D60 does not have a live view
>display on the LCD. As an entry level DSLR user, will it be
>uncomfortable to adjust to using the eye piece constantly
>instead of viewing form the LCD?

I find it only a problem when trying to compose a shot from some weird angle, like above my head or at ground level. A D40/D60 is so fast at responding that you can just easily take a 'test' shot and look at the LCD, then compose it as needed.

I actually find it uncomfortable now to compose a shot with a P&S and looking at the LCD. Not only is it bad technique to hold a P&S camera straight out, but the focus and shutter lag is so slow. Not to mention the bright sun drowning out the LCD.

>i wear glasses so will this be a problem?
>Also are there any software hacks that can be used to make the
>d60 have live view display?

No, your not able to use live view. And your glasses shouldn't be a problem either.

mep3136 Registered since 11th Sep 2008Mon 06-Oct-08 01:17 PM
46 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Looking for a good Nikon, not sure which to get"
In response to Reply # 5

ZA

i just recently went over to dslr from p & S and i really did not have a hard time getting used to looking into the view finder. i also have horrible eye sight as well and i always wear my specs and have not found viewing through the view finder a problem. i know that a lot of people just take their glasses off and adjust the view finder to get a clear view but i hate taking off and putting back on glasses back and forth so i just shoot with my glasses on and it really doesn't bother me.
as for hacks in the software, i haven't really heard of any floating around and to be honest i am not so sure i would be willing to hack around with my camera's software because you can do a lot of damage with just a simple little software hack and it is not something that i would be willing to chance with my new baby.
you will love the d60, i have found it a wonderful camera to learn on, very easy to use.

uncgolfr Registered since 25th Aug 2008Fri 31-Oct-08 01:19 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Looking for a good Nikon, not sure which to get"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I had a coolpix 5700 with live display on the LCD for seven years, bought the D60 two months ago. I am having no trouble getting used to the absence - in fact looking through the viewfinder conditions you to being more careful with your composition and exposure settings.

Incidentally, i travel, and thought long and hard about lens - got the 28-135 mm which has worked out well. But for longer zooms, I wish I had got a lens with VR. The 28-200 VR may be a better choice if you are going to stick to just a single lens and not be bothered with lens changes plus weight issues.

Have fun! I LOVE the D60!

mikeac Registered since 19th Nov 2007Mon 06-Oct-08 04:31 PM
147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Looking for a good Nikon, not sure which to get"
In response to Reply # 0

Seaford, GB

The P6000 is an 'advanced compact'. Despite a good feature set, in my opinion it cannot compete with a dSLR. You'll find it inferior picture quality (due to the much smaller sensor) and far slower at focusing and taking shots. And don't be swayed by all those megapixels - more megapixels can mean more noise and therefore poorer performance in low light, especially with a small sensor. Go for one of the dSLRs.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Too many hobbies, too little time

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

emilav Registered since 17th Oct 2008Sat 18-Oct-08 07:29 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Looking for a good Nikon, not sure which to get"
In response to Reply # 0

Horsens, DK

Hi

We are glad you are joining the Nikonians )

Anyway. From all your camera choices I would get the D40. Yes, I know it's not on your list, but that's ok ..
Those were actually cameras I had to choose from (except the D80 wich was over my budget).
P6000 is interesting. But, huge mistake from nikon. 12MP on a sensor that small?? That's insane. Actually it's not. It's MARKETING. Too bad..
Also. The D40X and D60 are very similar to D40 but have more Megapixels and more grain at higher ISO.
As you figured out by now, I hate the megapixel race...So I say unless you do big prints get a camera that delivers better results at higher ISO..like the D40
Also, the D40/D40x/D60 is more user-friendly than the more advanced D80.
Live View you won't get until D90..That's useful sometimes.

And. You can look at this from another angle. The less money you pay for the body the more you have for lens and you know what they say: 'Your camera is as good as the lens are'.

Hope this was more helpful than confusing.

Emil Avasilichioaiei.

someday Registered since 05th Jun 2007Wed 22-Oct-08 01:33 PM
71 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Looking for a good Nikon, not sure which to get"
In response to Reply # 0

Mundelein, US

SO as of today you have $643.65 to spend. I would suggest Nikon D60 Digital SLR Camera w/ 18-55mm AF-S G VR Zoom Lens for about $599 plus shipping. But taking to the consideration that you are not sure what you need I would suggest D40 with the same lens + SB600. There is no good reason to pay more for D40x, D60 or D80. Good luck.

jesse zaba
Web Site Design

Zi Registered since 08th Sep 2008Fri 31-Oct-08 07:27 AM
#11. "RE: Looking for a good Nikon, not sure which to get"
In response to Reply # 10

MY

Thank you for the replies. I have another question.
How does the D60 handle against weather? I'm planning on taking a vacation to China in December with my D60. (will buy it about a week before i go)
I understand it might be snowing there so can the D60 handle in those temperatures? Is it necessary to buy extra water proof cases for the winter weather?

Also,
-is it necessary for me to get extra battery packs?
-should i invest in a tripod?
-what memory card size should i get?
I take an average of 500 photos or more on each trip with my compacts.

twistedlogic Registered since 07th Apr 2008Fri 31-Oct-08 11:47 AM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Looking for a good Nikon, not sure which to get"
In response to Reply # 11

US

>Also,
>-is it necessary for me to get extra battery packs?
>-should i invest in a tripod?
>-what memory card size should i get?
>I take an average of 500 photos or more on each trip with my
>compacts.
>

Sorry I have no advice about cold weather settings.

I would suggest at least a monopod, or maybe both. I know there is some tripods that release the center to create a monopod. Maybe look into getting a remote to trigger the shutter so you can take self portraits.

As for memory cards, 4gb are so cheap now but are still overkill. Go with a couple 2GB cards, just in case one would fail you still have a backup and your not out 4gb of pictures.

If 500 shots are all you take, one charge should last (without using flash the whole time). I think with a DSLR in hand, this number will expand greatly.

uncgolfr Registered since 25th Aug 2008Fri 31-Oct-08 01:31 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Looking for a good Nikon, not sure which to get"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Don't know about power in China, but D60 battey EN-EL 9 lasts for 500+ pics at large/fine/jpg without too many internal flash shots. The issue is, when it runs out, you have to wait an hour or two to recharge before shooting again. A second battery keeps you going.

Large/fine/jpg gets you about about 130 images per 1 GB of storage, RAW about 80 per 1 GB. You will find the shooting so easy with the D60, you will take more shots as you travel than before.

I keep about 5-6 2GB SD cards in my bag to cover a four weeks trip. I also carry a couple of 4GB flash drives for occasional downloads and for redundancy in the event an SD card should fail in some way (hasn't happened...)

Tripod is almost a must if you shoot long zoom without VR; less so if you get the VR lenses.

twistedlogic Registered since 07th Apr 2008Fri 31-Oct-08 03:47 PM
#15. "RE: Looking for a good Nikon, not sure which to get"
In response to Reply # 14

US

>Don't know about power in China, but D60 battey EN-EL 9 lasts
>for 500+ pics at large/fine/jpg without too many internal
>flash shots. The issue is, when it runs out, you have to wait
>an hour or two to recharge before shooting again. A second
>battery keeps you going.

The D60 is rated for 500 shots, with a power indicator to tell you when its getting low. From my own experience and a general census on forums, this number is rather conservative. I've went weeks before recharging my battery. I suppose if you do a lot of chimping, on-board flash, or PP in camera, this number might be close.

>Large/fine/jpg gets you about about 130 images per 1 GB of
>storage, RAW about 80 per 1 GB. You will find the shooting so
>easy with the D60, you will take more shots as you travel than
>before.

(1GB = 1,240mb) 1240mb / 130 photos = 9.5mb files?

You should at least get ~200 per GB. That would still be 6.2mb files.

According to Lexar, 10mp Jpegs should yeild 440 shots. Dcresource claims that with a D60 4.8MB JPEG Fine you could get around 516 shots per 2GB card. There chart is screwed up though, it should read # images on 1GB SD card (optional).

uncgolfr Registered since 25th Aug 2008Sat 01-Nov-08 12:34 PM
#16. "RE: Looking for a good Nikon, not sure which to get"
In response to Reply # 15

US

Just going by what the D60 manual tells you.

My own experience is that I get about 400 per 2 GB shooting Large/Fine/jpg. I have not been using RAW much yet. Nikon says: all figures are approximate; actual; file size and memory card capacity may vary with the scene recorded and make of memory card. They used Panasonic PRO HIGH SPEED. I am using SanDisk Extreme III.

Zi Registered since 08th Sep 2008Fri 21-Nov-08 08:38 AM
#17. "RE: Looking for a good Nikon, not sure which to get"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 22-Nov-08 12:56 AM by Zi

MY

I can't express my gratitude enough towards all the help i've gotten from all of you. Thank you so very much!

Anything else i need to know guys? I'm getting the D60 with the VR lens that comes with it, in 2 weeks time

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Fri 21-Nov-08 03:48 PM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Looking for a good Nikon, not sure which to get"
In response to Reply # 17
Fri 21-Nov-08 03:49 PM by mtpenmaker

Billings, US

If you're really getting the camera, D60 or ?, only a week before you go to China, read the manual cover to cover at least twice. Play with the settings and see what happens. Buying a new camera just before a big trip is not something I would recommend, unless you've been using cameras for years and are very familiar with the basics of photography like exposure. You don't to have to spend your time trying to figure out how to use the camera while the scenery passes you by.

Gerry Rhoades
Montana Pens
www.montanapens.com
My Nikonians Gallery

Narsuitus Registered since 22nd Dec 2003Fri 21-Nov-08 07:59 PM
1152 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Looking for a good Nikon, not sure which to get"
In response to Reply # 0

Fort Worth/Dallas, US

>“Looking for a good Nikon …”

Since Nikon is synonymous with “good,” saying “Good Nikon” is as redundant as saying “small shrimp” or “hot molten lava.”

I agree with, Gerry Rhoades (mtpenmaker). Buying a new camera to use for the first time on an important vacation is something that I would not recommend. Either buy a camera well in advance of the trip so you can practice and master its operations or use a camera with which you are familiar.

When I vacation with a battery-dependant camera, I usually take an extra battery, a battery charger, 2MB memory cards, lens cleaner, tabletop tripod, and a plastic bag to protect the equipment from moisture.

Of the cameras you listed, I would select the D40x or the D60. I would also consider the D40 and the D50.

Also, please add more information to your Nikonian User Profile. It will help others to better answer your questions.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #32397 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.