Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #31938
View in linear mode

Subject: "Rain and the D40X, others" Previous topic | Next topic
zukester Registered since 17th Jul 2008Sat 06-Sep-08 02:39 PM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Rain and the D40X, others"

Southbury, US

One of the members here did a days shoot in Denmark I believe it was, shooting rain. At the end, last slide, he showed the camera being absolutely soaking wet and mentioned how it has good seals to keep it dry for just such a thing. It was a D60. I have a D40X.

Can I go out in the rain and take shots without worries of ruining it? I mean, I am not going to hold it out under a downpour all day, but are they designed for photographers to be able to go out during rainstorms? I would think yes, since photojournalists have to shoot hurricanes, rain flooding, etc.

I am talking REASONABLY wqaterproof, not an underwater camera I can drop into the lake and retrieve with an accidental shot of a trophy bass...although, that would be nice

I say this because Hurricane Hannah is coming this way in a few hours. I may want to take some practice shots like he did.

Thanks so much.

Zukester

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Rain and the D40X, others
fenris
06th Sep 2008
woodworker5112
06th Sep 2008
     Reply message Water proof
Drop Bear
08th Sep 2008
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
08th Sep 2008
MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography
09th Sep 2008
zukester
09th Sep 2008
zukester
11th Sep 2008
Beatkat Silver Member
12th Sep 2008
zukester
12th Sep 2008
benlawton
19th Sep 2008
TXCiclista
08th Oct 2008

fenris Registered since 30th Mar 2008Sat 06-Sep-08 04:39 PM
309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Rain and the D40X, others"
In response to Reply # 0

US

The thing is most of the time if a photojournalist knows they are going to be shooting in those kinds of conditions they use some sort of cover for their camera. I would not suggest taking your gear out in the rain without some sort of protection, that is just tempting fate. You also have to remember its not just the body you have to worry about its your lens. Just because your body might be able to take a bit of wet weather does not mean your lens can.

woodworker5112 Registered since 23rd May 2008Sat 06-Sep-08 06:07 PM
297 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Rain and the D40X, others"
In response to Reply # 1

Clovis, US

Use a gallon ziplock bag, and have the lens poking out, but the body in the bag.

Eric
D40x, Lovin' it.

Drop Bear Registered since 20th Jul 2008Mon 08-Sep-08 10:38 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "Water proof"
In response to Reply # 2

AU

The D3 has relatively waterproof sealing between body and lens and the 70-200 f2.8 is a nice match, I have used this combo in dirty weather without any leaks but my D40x I leave in the bag, as suggested, use a water/weather proof bag.
I have seen purposebuilt covers on ebay.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 08-Sep-08 10:41 PM
26806 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Rain and the D40X, others"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Get a good rain cover or a Nikonos (Waterproof film cameras for diving). It is cheap insurance. Cameras and water do not mix very well.

Best Regards,
Marty

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Tue 09-Sep-08 01:51 AM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Rain and the D40X, others"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

A few years ago we had a member kill a D50 by shooting in the rain. The pro cameras and lenses are weather sealed and you'll see pros shooting with these exposed to rain/water. On a lower end camera, I wouldn't take the chance.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

zukester Registered since 17th Jul 2008Tue 09-Sep-08 02:37 AM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Rain and the D40X, others"
In response to Reply # 5

Southbury, US

I sooooooo appreciate everyone's input. I will use a cover then, and that is because I want to shoot rain shots. I did some on the deck under Hannah or whatever the hurricane was this weekend with an umbrella and saw the potential of nice rain/water shots. THere is photography potential in storms.

Thanks again.

Bob Z.
Zukester

zukester Registered since 17th Jul 2008Thu 11-Sep-08 04:07 AM
#7. "RE: Rain and the D40X, others"
In response to Reply # 6

Southbury, US

Took this one shot of many during yesterday's tropical storm Hannah herein CT.

Used a ziploc bag. Had to.

Having to shrink it so small, it lost all resolution. Oh well.

Zukester

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Beatkat Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2007Fri 12-Sep-08 03:24 AM
239 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Rain and the D40X, others"
In response to Reply # 7
Fri 12-Sep-08 03:27 AM by Beatkat

Oxford, US

Hey Zuke, what are you using to resize your images??...you shouldn't be having these resolution issues..your allowed up to 150k per image and this looks like around 19k...

Connecticut Nikonian
D5100
Nikkor 50mm 1.8
18-55DX
55-200VR
other asst. glass

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

zukester Registered since 17th Jul 2008Fri 12-Sep-08 03:51 AM
#9. "RE: Rain and the D40X, others"
In response to Reply # 8

Southbury, US

Well, photoshop, but I compressed it from 12 to 1 on the "Save As"....I have the photo on my photobucket account, and in full size. Here is he link to th entire folder:

http://s357.photobucket.com/albums/oo19/zukester100/

Here is the link to that water shot.

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo19/zukester100/DSC_2711.jpg

I hear Ike is worse....will probably come this way after as well, albeit a LOT smaller. But this was a lot of water coming down at once.

I have a bunch of stills and shots with the new extension tubes there as well. All in the same few hours.

Thanks,

Zukester

benlawton Registered since 11th Dec 2007Fri 19-Sep-08 05:07 PM
213 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Rain and the D40X, others"
In response to Reply # 9

Stafford, UK

Never compress that much, you may as well have taken the image on your mobile phone. In photoshop setting the quality to 6 - 8 shouldn't push you over the limit, and will retain muchos qualitos!

Ben

TXCiclista Registered since 15th May 2006Wed 08-Oct-08 09:36 PM
1791 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Rain and the D40X, others"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 08-Oct-08 09:38 PM by TXCiclista

Fort Worth, US

>mentioned how it has good seals to keep it dry for just such a thing. It was a D60.

The D60 has minimal weather sealing. He was either grossly misinformed or perhaps you heard wrong. A D60 in a rain storm would die an early death. The Dx00 series and Dx have significant weather sealing which is part of their appeal over the Dx0 series.

-----
This is my Nikon. There are many like it, but this one is mine!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #31938 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.